Answered

Sonos Move is visible, but doesn't play audio after inactivity

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Everyone,

I have a Sonos Move product that I often move around off the charging base. I’ve found that if I take it off a charger, stop playing media for 45min to an hour, maybe more, when I go back into the app on my phone OR attempt to play music through the Sonos app on my computer, the app will show the music being played but the device doesn’t play. Further, full comms seem to be there with the Sonos unit as I can view the device battery, make changes, etc. 

I reached out through social and was connected to Sonos’ external marketing team, then my message was passed to someone in Product, but I have not heard anything further. 

I’ve uploaded a quick video I was going to share with the product team, but never heard back. Here’s a link to the unlisted YT video (Sorry for sounding congested, finally caught the ‘Vid).

Any help insights would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 June 2022, 12:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

I have exactly the same problem, really annoying and wish I hadn’t bought it. So disappointed in Sonos

I have exactly the same problem, really annoying and wish I hadn’t bought it. So disappointed in Sonos

Really?… Sonos have already acknowledged and said they will fix this… it only started a few weeks ago so it’s just a case of waiting for the update. Meanwhile, see workaround:

Workaround doesn’t really work for me, music starts playing suddenly after 4-5 minutes. And it’s been a more than a month. I have an expensive speaker chllin, and  no music. So I am also very disappointed.

Workaround doesn’t really work for me, music starts playing suddenly after 4-5 minutes. And it’s been a more than a month. I have an expensive speaker chllin, and  no music. So I am also very disappointed.

In that case you are perhaps best to speak with Sonos Support Staff about the matter - here is a link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

HTH

Despite my earlier post, thinking it was working, it’s not worked for a couple of weeks. The device is pretty much useless now. I’ve given up trying to battle with it.

sonos - get your act together.

Despite my earlier post, thinking it was working, it’s not worked for a couple of weeks. The device is pretty much useless now. I’ve given up trying to battle with it.

sonos - get your act together.

It should work without issue when it’s on it’s charger loop, if not, you may have some other issue, perhaps? I have two Moves here and both work 100% on their charger. I would suggest keeping the ‘battery saver’ feature enabled when using off it’s charger. It will completely power off then when left inactive for 30mins+ and should power on when it’s returned to the charger etc.

I have the same issue. I just purchased the Move and pretty frustrated. After powering up from going to sleep, the Move appears as a Spotify Connect and Airplay target, but you cannot hear audio while streaming. I have to power cycle again to get it working. I may return this speaker before my return window expires. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I have the exact same problem. What I also experience is when this occurs to me with the move going to sleep as you stated, I get the same result,  but ir effects my entire system. I can't ay music through the Arc either. If I reboot the move, amazingly the music will return to the move and/or the arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not sure if this is related, but I am having issues with both my Moves.  When on the charger, they work fine.  When I take them to the patio/pool.  They will stop playing or play music for 2 seconds per minute...just constantly cutting out.  Powering off and then on usually fixes, but sometimes the speakers have to be cycled 2+ times to work.  I have these grouped with some Ones and a Roam.  Only the Move experiences the music cutting out.  Seems to happen with SiriusXM and Spotify.  As others have reported, the app shows the speakers online and playing.

Hopefully this is consistent with the problem being addressed.

Not sure if this is related, but I am having issues with both my Moves.  When on the charger, they work fine.  When I take them to the patio/pool.  They will stop playing or play music for 2 seconds per minute...just constantly cutting out.  Powering off and then on usually fixes, but sometimes the speakers have to be cycled 2+ times to work.  I have these grouped with some Ones and a Roam.  Only the Move experiences the music cutting out.  Seems to happen with SiriusXM and Spotify.  As others have reported, the app shows the speakers online and playing.

Hopefully this is consistent with the problem being addressed.

I don’t think it’s the same issue reported here from what you have outlined - is it perhaps a case you have a separate WiFi access point, or WiFi extender out by the pool? My thoughts are your Moves are maybe using the 5Ghz band, which has limited reach and penetration.

It is working when you switch them off/on again because they then switch to a nearer access point… but that’s just a bit of a guess on my part.

You might find, if that is the case, that the speakers may work much better on the local 2.4Ghz Band instead and maybe set the channel-width to 20Mhz only… if using WiFi access points or extenders, then try setting those to use the same fixed non-overlapping channels as the main router (channel 1, 6 or 11) and ensure the channel-width is the same too (20Mhz, ideally).

That’s just my suggestion without knowing a little more detail about your network setup.

Hi everyone!

I’m just letting you all know that our developers are aware of this behaviour with our portable speakers coming out of suspend mode and that a fix will be available soon.

In the meantime, one or more of these steps should serve as a workaround:

• Move the volume slider a bit either up or down in the Sonos App
  • Tap the hardware volume control on the speaker itself
  • Pause and resume playback (press pause, then play)
  • Wake the portable speaker with a button press before opening the Sonos App

I hope this helps.

Hey Corry P: Do you have any other workarounds as these aren’t working for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Have you updated your speakers to the 14.10 firmware released yesterday?

This seems to have solved the issue for me,

John

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone!

With the release of update 14.10, we now consider this issue resolved. Should you continue to have related problems, please ensure your Sonos system is up to date, then get in touch with our technical support team.

Thank you.

The 14.10 update fixed it for me. Hopefully it fixed it for you as well.

Thanks Sonos for taking 2 months to solve the problem that you created (again).

Yes, it looks like the latest update fixed the issue. Thanks!

No. Still having issues with the Move. I have the latest version on the hardware and app. Still will not connect, sporadically.  All I use this speaker for is my turn table. When it works it’s great, but it doesn’t work. 
About to ‘Move’ this thing to the garbage. It’s a $400 speaker. I’m very very frustrated. 🫤

No. Still having issues with the Move. I have the latest version on the hardware and app. Still will not connect, sporadically.  All I use this speaker for is my turn table. When it works it’s great, but it doesn’t work. 
About to ‘Move’ this thing to the garbage. It’s a $400 speaker. I’m very very frustrated. 🫤

Your post needs a bit more information before anyone can suggest some things to perhaps try…

In what way is it not working - is it not BT ‘pairing’ with the Turntable, or is it not playing when it is paired? Or are you using RCA line-In for the TT via another Sonos product and if so, what WiFi band and channel is the Move using?