Answered

Sonos Move is visible, but doesn't play audio after inactivity

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Everyone,

I have a Sonos Move product that I often move around off the charging base. I’ve found that if I take it off a charger, stop playing media for 45min to an hour, maybe more, when I go back into the app on my phone OR attempt to play music through the Sonos app on my computer, the app will show the music being played but the device doesn’t play. Further, full comms seem to be there with the Sonos unit as I can view the device battery, make changes, etc. 

I reached out through social and was connected to Sonos’ external marketing team, then my message was passed to someone in Product, but I have not heard anything further. 

I’ve uploaded a quick video I was going to share with the product team, but never heard back. Here’s a link to the unlisted YT video (Sorry for sounding congested, finally caught the ‘Vid).

Any help insights would be appreciated.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 June 2022, 12:29

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

42 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone!

With the release of update 14.10, we now consider this issue resolved. Should you continue to have related problems, please ensure your Sonos system is up to date, then get in touch with our technical support team.

Thank you.

Hello,

Same issue for me for about 1 month. 
I thought it was a hardware issue, so happy to read it is a bug.
I hope it will be fixed soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi everyone!

I’m just letting you all know that our developers are aware of this behaviour with our portable speakers coming out of suspend mode and that a fix will be available soon.

In the meantime, one or more of these steps should serve as a workaround:

• Move the volume slider a bit either up or down in the Sonos App
  • Tap the hardware volume control on the speaker itself
  • Pause and resume playback (press pause, then play)
  • Wake the portable speaker with a button press before opening the Sonos App

I hope this helps.

How is this not fixed yet. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@rysal 

Called support today.

This is, apparently, a “known issue” with portable speakers.  No fix right now but the “development team are working on it”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Raised this and added diagnostics.  I am really frustrated that this has bricked my Moves for over a month.  Whilst I understand the team are working on it a timescale would help.  We’ve had 3 releases since this problem was created and in my case the workarounds do not work around the issue and so the moves are expensive doorstops. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Agree problems only occur when of the base. Once the start it takes a few hours, in my case, for both speakers to start working normally again.

I am glad I found this thread.  I have the exact same issue as described in the OP.  I have two Moves and an Amp/Sub/external speakers setup.  I carry one Move around the house regularly and it stops working after a period of inactivity.  The rest of the system still works.  

Another interesting thing is that the Move will start working again if I just leave it on it’s charging station overnight.  Not sure if the reason is the charge, just leaving alone for awhile, or something else.  Curious to know if others have found this same behavior. 

i saw the link about battery saver.  Mine is turned off.  I do wonder if the speaker going to Sleep mode is a factor.  

Frustrating. Hope Sonos fixes this soon 

@rysal Thank you for starting this thread. I actually started another thread about this myself:

This has been very frustrating since it is an issue that Sonos introduced and even though there have been several updates, this still has not been fixed.

One thing I did was enable battery saver which will force the unit to shut down. While I have to manually start the unit again, the rebooting forces the unit to reconnect to the network and then becomes useable.

Despite my earlier post, thinking it was working, it’s not worked for a couple of weeks. The device is pretty much useless now. I’ve given up trying to battle with it.

sonos - get your act together.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Have you updated your speakers to the 14.10 firmware released yesterday?

This seems to have solved the issue for me,

John

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

This is exactly the same problem that I’ve been experiencing.  12 zone system.  Wi-fi configuration.  After a period of inactivity I typically see:

- add Move to group (Windows app OR Android app)

- Move shows as part of the group, playing music, but no sound comes out

- attempt to remove Move from group via app

- “Unable to connect to device, please try again later”

Power cycling the Move sometimes fixes the problem.

I have tried cycling router, wifi extenders and sonos players with no change.

I have yet to have enough time free during working hours to pick this up with Sonos support.  This error arrived around the time of the last software update….

Hi. Everyone. Very glad to read this thread since I am experiencing the same issue. After talking the support team via phone and moving with online testing the response I got was to ‘enjoy the move speaker because it seems to be perfect’. However, the issue still remains.

Let’s hope for a quick fix.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@GuitarSuperstar Rebooting temporarily fixes the issue as demonstrated in the video, but it does not solve root cause. This will continue to happen. 

I’ve been experiencing the same issues since the 14.6 update was released. The 14.6.1 update and 14.8 updates did nothing to resolve the issues.

But I found 2 interesting things whilst troubleshooting:

It you turn off the unit by holding down the power button for 6 seconds, it will turn off. Remove it from the base. The next time that you want to connect to the Move, just put it on the base. It will take 15 seconds for it to boot and you can usually connect on the first try.

I have always thought the problem mentioned here did not occur if the Move is on its charger-loop, as it should not ever fall into ‘sleep-mode’, it simply goes into ‘standby-mode’. In your post here you mention ‘removing it from its base’ - if it’s on the charger base/loop, it should be working okay anyway. At least it hasn’t affected the two Moves left on their charger in my case here. I’ve only ever seen the issue reported, when they’re taken off the charger-loop and allowed to fall into ‘sleep-mode’.

Yes, it looks like the latest update fixed the issue. Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

@GuitarSuperstar Of course. For background I'm tech savvy in this space so I've done all the 101 stuff. 

Again, as noted in the video, this can happen using the Sonos app within Windows so it removes the mobile device from the picture.

I have an additional AP in my network config and have even tried making sure this is repeatable with only one SSID. I achieved this by blocking the Sonos MAC on the AP allowing it to only connect to the primary router. Same result. Both are AX routers and can happen when the Move is in the next room and WiFi signal strength is 99%

What Sonos needs to do is allow a USB drive to be plugged into the C port on the device and enable verbose logging output to the drive. Then it could be disconnected and the files could be uploaded to support/forums. Not sure if the data lines are routed for the C port or only the power and CC lines though (but I digress).

Thanks Corry. Glad a fix will come soon.  I have tried all of the fixes you suggested and none work, at least not quickly.  The speaker does eventually wake up but it can take a long time.  

I have exactly the same problem, really annoying and wish I hadn’t bought it. So disappointed in Sonos

No. Still having issues with the Move. I have the latest version on the hardware and app. Still will not connect, sporadically.  All I use this speaker for is my turn table. When it works it’s great, but it doesn’t work. 
About to ‘Move’ this thing to the garbage. It’s a $400 speaker. I’m very very frustrated. 🫤

Your post needs a bit more information before anyone can suggest some things to perhaps try…

In what way is it not working - is it not BT ‘pairing’ with the Turntable, or is it not playing when it is paired? Or are you using RCA line-In for the TT via another Sonos product and if so, what WiFi band and channel is the Move using?

Userlevel 1
Badge

Thank you very much for the update, Corry! Happy to hear the team is on it. I appreciate the workaround in the meantime. 

Hi everyone!

I’m just letting you all know that our developers are aware of this behaviour with our portable speakers coming out of suspend mode and that a fix will be available soon.

In the meantime, one or more of these steps should serve as a workaround:

• Move the volume slider a bit either up or down in the Sonos App
  • Tap the hardware volume control on the speaker itself
  • Pause and resume playback (press pause, then play)
  • Wake the portable speaker with a button press before opening the Sonos App

I hope this helps.

Hey Corry P: Do you have any other workarounds as these aren’t working for me.

Workaround doesn’t really work for me, music starts playing suddenly after 4-5 minutes. And it’s been a more than a month. I have an expensive speaker chllin, and  no music. So I am also very disappointed.

In that case you are perhaps best to speak with Sonos Support Staff about the matter - here is a link to contact them:

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

HTH

Despite my earlier post, thinking it was working, it’s not worked for a couple of weeks. The device is pretty much useless now. I’ve given up trying to battle with it.

sonos - get your act together.

It should work without issue when it’s on it’s charger loop, if not, you may have some other issue, perhaps? I have two Moves here and both work 100% on their charger. I would suggest keeping the ‘battery saver’ feature enabled when using off it’s charger. It will completely power off then when left inactive for 30mins+ and should power on when it’s returned to the charger etc.

I have the same issue. I just purchased the Move and pretty frustrated. After powering up from going to sleep, the Move appears as a Spotify Connect and Airplay target, but you cannot hear audio while streaming. I have to power cycle again to get it working. I may return this speaker before my return window expires.