Answered

Sonos Move disappearing on Airplay

I have 2 Sono Move speakers.  One in the kitchen and one in my room.  In the last few days I have noticed that in the Airplay menu on my iPhone / iPad only one would show up and rarely both.  Both speakers however show up to be connected in the Sonos app.  I would have to shut the missing speaker down (long press the power button) and turn it back on to have it showing on Airplay.  I’ve not changed anything with my home internet network.  Anyone has the same problem?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 April 2022, 14:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

My thoughts are you could perhaps look at the below suggestions…

If not attempted already, try the ‘Sonos Moves’ on the far-reaching/more-penetrable routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band and ensure that band is on the least-used ‘fixed’ non-overlapping channel 1, 6 or 11.

Also set the channel-width in the router settings to use 20MHz only and see if that improves your Moves Airplay connectivity.

Separate to those suggestions, just ensure too that your SonosNet channel (if you are using any ‘wired’ non-portable Sonos products) is set in the Sonos App to a completely different channel to your chosen 2.4Ghz WiFi channel.

Also on the Apple forums are these list of suggestions which are also mentioned to get Airplay issues resolved…

• Plug all devices into a wall outlet instead of using battery power
  • Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it on, on the sending device (phone/tablet etc.)
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers) on the sending device
  • Connect the sending/receiving device and ensure both are on the same WiFi network access point
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages, consider reserving the devices IP addresses and/or reboot the router
  • Switch off any security software and VPN software installed on the sending device

Anyhow, I hope those things assist to resolve your issue.

Using latest iOS and Move is plugged in.

I’m not going to start messing with my router or Wi-Fi given I have not changed any of these settings in recent memory.

Resetted my iPhone network settings and still the same.  Wasn’t expecting this to work as this is happening to my iPad too.

I guess I will have to stick to using the Sonos app in the meantime until this gets sorted.  I did update iOS a few days ago and maybe this is the root of the issue…?

Using latest iOS and Move is plugged in.

I’m not going to start messing with my router or Wi-Fi given I have not changed any of these settings in recent memory.

Resetted my iPhone network settings and still the same.  Wasn’t expecting this to work as this is happening to my iPad too.

I guess I will have to stick to using the Sonos app in the meantime until this gets sorted.  I did update iOS a few days ago and maybe this is the root of the issue…?

I’m currently using an iPad and iPhone running on iOS 15.4.1 and not seeing the issue with my two Moves - maybe ensure you have ‘Private Address’ (MAC spoofing) switched off too in your iOS device WiFi network properties, as that can sometimes be an issue.

I have two MOVE speakers that I just bought this week. I haven’t had one day where i wanted to use them that I didn’t have to either reset them to work. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Not that I use airplay but I checked my iPhone and ipad also my apple tv show both my move speakers available to use

I am on 15.4.1 on both pad and phone and 15.5 on tv doubt it is the update causing the problem 

The two ‘Moves’ here are called Bathroom and Moveable, I use them most days and they’re always showing in our Airplay device list on our iOS mobiles and tablets.

If you do regularly find any Airplay devices disappearing from your device list, then I would suggest taking a closer look at the local wireless network subnet and perhaps consider some of the suggestions mentioned in my initial post above, to see if those things may help to resolve the issue.

I’ve resetted the Move speakers, re-added them to the Sonos app and that seems to have done the trick.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’ve resetted the Move speakers, re-added them to the Sonos app and that seems to have done the trick.  

Glad to hear that 

As i was curious I tried airplay from my tv to both my moves and roams which worked well at least I know it'll work for me if I ever want to use it👍

Ok that didn’t last long. I’m back to square one. I woke up and the same problem came back…

It may be time to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Ok that didn’t last long. I’m back to square one. I woke up and the same problem came back…

Yes, that makes a little more sense as these issues are (more) often a network related issue, factory resetting a Sonos device very rarely fixes these matters. I would perhaps focus on looking closer towards the network side of things and/or the Airplay sending device - if the Move disappears from the Airplay device list then maybe try pinging the device to see if it’s actually still connected to the LAN and maybe try some of the things mentioned earlier in this thread.

Badge +20

On another multi room wireless system the trick to get Airplay working again is to powercycle the Router but best if you have IP addresses reserved otherwise your network will get in a right mess. 

Also turning off Wi-Fi on the source and on again may help.

Same issue here.   Frustrating thing. The units take turns showing up on airplay.   Its inconsistent. But never both at same time except when I first setup new one last week.   I added one to existing studio pair of moves. So total 3 units.   Last time I had a strange issue with moves, they cleared up after some updates.  And its NOT my network.  

Then submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Personal prediction, it WILL be your network. Either a duplicate IP address issue, or perhaps subnet issues due to a mesh setup, but it’s fairly unlikely to be a Sonos issue with their software, per se. Not impossible, which is why I’m recommending that you give them hard data rather than anecdotal feedback to look at. 

I have the same issue here. Only one Move speaker (out of 6) will appear in the ios airplay selection list. It is always the last one discovered by the ios device. If you have the ios device forget the network, then re-attach it to the network, the first time you open the ios airplay selection you will see it list all of the Move speakers one at a time. each one overwriting the previous one. To have ios show a specific speaker so you can select it, you must remove the speaker from the charging base and power it off. wait 10 seconds and place it back on the base (it will power on). Watch the ios airplay selection list and it will be the one listed once it is discovered and then you can select it. All the speakers are available in the Sonos app. Spent hours debugging with Sonos support and their “official” answer was: It is an Apple problem. It appears that we now have a finger pointing game between Apple and Sonos as Apple cannot determine the difference between multiple Move speakers.

I have the same issue here. Only one Move speaker (out of 6) will appear in the ios airplay selection list. It is always the last one discovered by the ios device. If you have the ios device forget the network, then re-attach it to the network, the first time you open the ios airplay selection you will see it list all of the Move speakers one at a time. each one overwriting the previous one. To have ios show a specific speaker so you can select it, you must remove the speaker from the charging base and power it off. wait 10 seconds and place it back on the base (it will power on). Watch the ios airplay selection list and it will be the one listed once it is discovered and then you can select it. All the speakers are available in the Sonos app. Spent hours debugging with Sonos support and their “official” answer was: It is an Apple problem.

It appears that we now have a finger pointing game between Apple and Sonos as Apple cannot determine the difference between multiple Move speakers.

That’s strange, I have two ‘Moves’ as mentioned in my earlier post with screenshot attached and my Wife and I have iPads, iPhones and Apple TV (x2) and they all see the two Sonos Moves and our Sonos Roams too.. it sounds like your network/router is doing something to the iOS Airplay discovery service? 

edit: Perhaps see if the below links may assist you to begin to find an answer to this issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/depf138dd79c/web

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/deployment/dep9151c4ace/1/web/1.0

I have the exact same problem. It’s a new problem that wasn’t an issue a couple months ago. Only having an issue with the Moves and none of my other airplay devices (computers, receivers, AppleTV)

I had a call with support and got nowhere.

I’m not sure why only Sonos devices have network challenges and not other device on my network. This has been a Sonos problem for years. First, it was not playing nice with mesh wifi or wifi extenders, now it’s devices coming and going from Airplay for reason. But Sonos want to blame everything else and not their own hardware/software. And these are new newest flagship devices! What the heck? 

I have the exact same problem. It’s a new problem that wasn’t an issue a couple months ago. Only having an issue with the Moves and none of my other airplay devices (computers, receivers, AppleTV)

I had a call with support and got nowhere.

I’m not sure why only Sonos devices have network challenges and not other device on my network. This has been a Sonos problem for years. First, it was not playing nice with mesh wifi or wifi extenders, now it’s devices coming and going from Airplay for reason. But Sonos want to blame everything else and not their own hardware/software. And these are new newest flagship devices! What the heck? 

Well for the AirPlay/Bonjour service you will need all on the same subnet and if using extenders, then I would put all on the same SSID/WiFi Band & Channel and set the same channel-width too (preferably 20Mhz only), but some extenders can cause issues with multicast broadcast discovery. 

These things can often boil down to issues with the local wired/wireless network segments. You only have to search online to see the various issues users have reported with Airplay and a good many do not involve Sonos at all

I too have had this problem for a couple of months now. My network has 3 Moves, a Roam, and various Apple devices…all coexisting and working flawlessly on Airplay (I never used the Sonos app to stream music).  A couple of months ago I noticed only one Move was showing up, I cycled power, cycled my network, etc. and like another poster said, the last unit I cycled would replace the other, etc. 

As a workaround I’ve found that I can start playing to all my Airplay devices including whichever Move happened to show up, then go into the Sonos app to add the other Moves to the active stream. Although not as seamless as controlling them all in the Airplay menu this has worked reliably and allows for individual volume control. 

I have tried all of the steps mentioned in this thread including removing, resetting, and re-adding all my Moves. This problem is isolated to my Move speakers as my Roam consistently stays on my list of Airplay available devices. I even had an old iPad on IOS 14 that I dusted off to see if it would see all of the Moves…no luck. 

Same issue here, working flawlessly unitl a few months ago, I can’t pinpoint when exactly, but I had made no network/Sonos configuration changes to prompt this eroneous beahviour.

I have two Move’s, and can repeatably get each available as an airplay end point by removing the other (eg flipping it to bluetooth) but can not get both at the same time. My Play5’s do not have this problem. All speakers are wireless on the same vlan as the controller.

Same issue here, working flawlessly unitl a few months ago, I can’t pinpoint when exactly, but I had made no network/Sonos configuration changes to prompt this eroneous beahviour.

I have two Move’s, and can repeatably get each available as an airplay end point by removing the other (eg flipping it to bluetooth) but can not get both at the same time. My Play5’s do not have this problem. All speakers are wireless on the same vlan as the controller.

I’ve got two ‘Move’ speakers here too (‘Portable’ and ‘Bathroom’) and they’re both showing/working fine using Airplay - most iOS Airplay issues are network related, so perhaps try a reboot of the router. FWIW i also have my devices registered as an accessory in Apple Home(Kit) too. If problem persists you could try a device reset I guess but that’s always a last resort.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Probably the same problem as this thread: 

which has just been declared as fixed in the update that came out yesterday (21 June 2022)

The update has not fixed this issue for me, either.

Like @graham1980 @Todd1 and @ahcl20 

All was seamless with my two Moves and two Sonos Ones via airplay until one day a few months back (with absolutely no change in my network), I was unable to see both Moves at the same time.  I can go into my Sonos app and get both playing, but from my Airplay drop down menu, only one Move will be recognized at any one time.

I have set fixed IP addresses for each Sonos device and rebooted the router, but to no avail.

Has anyone figured out a fix?  Do we just hope yet another future update solves the problem?

I am worried with the statement that “with 14.10, we consider this issue resolved”.  With the thread that @jrguk mentioned, I believe most there were having a different problem.  Seems like there are enough people here to make sure they are looking at it.  I am assuming the issue began with an automatic update all our Moves went thru a few months ago.

HungryWookie, Sonos released the 14.10 update that seems to fix the issue with the Move boxes. Please make sure to update the Move firmware once you update the app. The firmware update can be manual or automatic, depending on your settings. I prefer to manually update it.

@waynetempro 

All my devices are updated to 14.10 but the issue persists.  I think the issue on this thread is different than the Suspend issues others were having with their Moves not restarting after entering Suspend mode.  The 14.10 update addressed that, apparently.  

The issue on this thread is more one in how Apple Airplay recognizes the Move speakers.  This used to be seamless, but now, Airplay will only display one Move at a time.  Yes, you can connect to all SONOS Moves via the Sonos app, but things were much more functional until maybe about 3 months back.

Can Sonos confirm if this is a known issue for us on this thread?  Nothing has changed about my network over this time frame.  The problem began with either a SONOS update or an IOS update that now keeps the Moves from playing well with Airplay.