Answered

Sonos Move and General Bluetooth Connectivity

• 5 November 2019
  • 8 replies

Basically, I bought a sonos speaker to use as a communal kitchen speaker in a co-op space (my mistake apparently). After setting up the speaker and switching it to bluetooth mode, I expected anyone to be able to “discover” the sonos move and connect to it.

However, much to my dismay, the only device that could discover the sonos’s bluetooth connection was the one I had registered it with. Is there any way that I can work around this to make it generally discoverable over bluetooth for any device? 

Even if I need to use a third party device, I just want to use it as a communal speaker. I don’t care if I lose functionality elsewhere. 

Thank you for the help. 

icon

Best answer by bockersjv 5 November 2019, 10:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I suspect it stays paired to your device when you are in range. 

I think it will remember multiple devices but the pairing process needs to be done to “register” the other devices first. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

As nik9669a says it will pair to the last Bluetooth connection if that is in range, this is a feature of the BT audio profile.  You will have to go to the BT settings of the last device used and click on disconnect.  Then other BT devices will be able to connect, but only a single device at a time.

Why doesn't everyone just download the Sonos app so they can just add music one person at a time or everyone at the party?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Why doesn't everyone just download the Sonos app so they can just add music one person at a time or everyone at the party?

You are assuming they are using the Move in WiFi mode.  In which case I agree.  However the OP may not be on his home network or the Move may be in a place that has bad reception, such as the garden. 

You are assuming they are using the Move in WiFi mode.  In which case I agree.  However the OP may not be on his home network or the Move may be in a place that has bad reception, such as the garden. 

In fact we know that the speaker is in a communal kitchen,  There may not be a communal wifi, and everyone having access via the Sonos app means everyone having the opportunity to screw up the settings.  BT seems very appropriate for this circumstance.

You are assuming they are using the Move in WiFi mode.  In which case I agree.  However the OP may not be on his home network or the Move may be in a place that has bad reception, such as the garde. 

In fact we know that the speaker is in a communal kitchen,  There may not be a communal wifi, and everyone having access via the Sonos app means everyone having the opportunity to screw up the settings.  BT seems very appropriate for this circumstance.

BT is appropriate, but it does seem like you aren’t getting your money’s worth with the Move in this situation.  You aren’t ever using the Move’s WiFi capabilities, multiroom audio, Auto Trueplay, or even battery in this scenario.   I would bet you could a BT only speaker with comparable sound quality for a better price.

Just bought a Move. Bluetooth connection works fine with iPhone, iPad and Astell & Kern High Res Player, but not with Sony High Res Player. Seems to me there are certain devices that Bluetooth on the Move doesn’t connect to.

There certainly are many profiles under the “Bluetooth” name. Some of them are not compatible. Do you know which one you’re using?