Sonos - more trouble than it's worth

• 17 May 2014
  • 8 replies

How about, nothing works? Spent thousands on a Sonos system which worked flawlessly for a while but no longer works at all. Tried everything in the forums to no avail. Wife thinks I'm an idiot. She wants to toss the whole lot.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

When you say "nothing works" could you be more specific.  Are zones disappearing or music stopping?  If so, you may be suffering from duplicate IP addresses. These can often show up after a software update, because the update usually involved rebooting the Sonos components and when they come back up they can get an IP which was previously assigned and then forgotten by the router. Do this: Shut down all of the following, then re-power, in this order:

Modem
Router
Switches/hubs
Wired Sonos Players and Bridges
Wireless Sonos Players and Bridges
Controllers
NAS if you use one
Everything else (computers, printers, etc.)

Wait until the component is fully up before restarting the next on the list. You must do everything on your network, this will assure that all IP addresses are legitimate.

Note that you can minimize this problem by reserving IP addresses by MAC address in your router. See your router manual for details.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello Ken,
Thank you for contacting us by ask.sonos.com

Is the system still experiencing the same issue once power cycled.
If yes, could you submit a diagnostic and reply with the confirmation number.
Here is a FAQ showing you how to Submit system diagnostic

Keep me posted.

Best regards,
Max
Mine doesn't work either, tried all the 'fixes' starting to realise I've wasted a lot of money!
Mine doesn't work either, tried all the 'fixes' starting to realise I've wasted a lot of money!
You've posted onto a 2 year old thread to make your complaint, but what steps have you been through with Sonos Support to resolve your issues?
Lol. And the fact that the OP has just this one contribution that he has made in 2 years is suggestive of trolling.
Not a troll. Bought it this xmas for the wife.
BTW, you replied to a comment on a two year old question.
Not a troll. Bought it this xmas for the wife.
BTW, you replied to a comment on a two year old question.

You prefer to post this irrelevant comment in turn instead of answering the question posed by ratty?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Richard 1234,

In what way is your speaker not working? Have you been able to get it set up and connected to your phone, tablet or computer?