Question

Sonos 'losing sight' of Plex

• 12 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Most of the time my Sonos Connect delivers Plex music content to my AV system perfectly however, periodically, even whilst playing Plex content, it simply stops and repostd that the content can no longer be found.

I have tried many things to sort this - rebooting the Connect, restarting the app, checking that Plex is still running OK (which it always is) and re-authorizing the Plex server to Sonos. Sometimes I thing the re-authorization works, but not always.

It is most infuriating as it seems to always fail just when we have visitors etc.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Bumper - Thanks for the suggestion; I will look into it if I run out of patience.

Cheers

Hey Phil, I hope you get through to support as it sounds like you are having a tough time and I’m with you it is super frustrating. Get ready to wait for 1-2 hours to actually speak to someone once you get in the queue

Sonos might be able to give you some suggestions - but Plex developed the sonos integration so IME Sonos support might not be able to offer much help - unless the problem is not Plex and related to your network or sonos configuration. 

I’m a big fan of Plex, use it everyday so if you get it working well with your system would really appreciate you posting back how you did it :)

Hi @Rowena B. Thanks for your reply. To answer your questions:

1. I have seen two different messages and, since they are not appearing just now, I cannot be sure of the wording. One says something like ‘This content is no longer available….’ and is displayed in my favourites section when Plex is no ‘visible’ to Sonos. The other says ‘No selections made’ and it usually displayed when the music fails - i.e stops playing - on whatever screen is showing at that time - usually the current track or album.
  2. I have removed and re-added the service many times and, like re-authorizing, it seems to have a beneficial effect sometimes.
  3. Everything in my house is wired except mobile devices of course.
  4. I suspect you mean “if it is wireless...”, in which case this question becomes irrelevant.

I would love to contact your customer support people if only I could find out how but, unfortunately, I cannot get through the extremely unhelpful and infuriating automated robot help systems. Is there a phone number or email address available where I can speak to a human please? I have even emailed your CEO (as, on the website he bravely invites customers to do) but, unsurprisingly, I got zero response!!

@Bumper - Thanks for the suggestion; I will look into it if I run out of patience.

Cheers

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Most of the time my Sonos Connect delivers Plex music content to my AV system perfectly however, periodically, even whilst playing Plex content, it simply stops and repostd that the content can no longer be found.

I have tried many things to sort this - rebooting the Connect, restarting the app, checking that Plex is still running OK (which it always is) and re-authorizing the Plex server to Sonos. Sometimes I thing the re-authorization works, but not always.

It is most infuriating as it seems to always fail just when we have visitors etc.

Phil, Plex on Sonos is incredibly buggy. Honestly you will be happier if you use the Sonos library even with it’s big limitations, IME.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Phil Johnson, thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community. I appreciate your detailed post describing the issue as well as the steps that you did. Let me help you with this.

First, I'd like to ask a few questions and will give some suggestions on what you can follow.

1. When Plex failed to play music, are you getting any error message to identify the issue?
2. Have you tried removing and re-adding Plex on the Sonos app to refresh the connection?
3. Is your Sonos Connect connected to your WiFi network or wired to your router?
4. If it's wired, have you tried changing the wireless channel on the Sonos app if there's an improvement?

If you're still having the same issue after checking the steps above, I recommend contacting our Sonos Customer Care support to remotely connect to your device to further assist you with this to provide the best option for you.

Please feel free to reach out in the future if you have any other questions.

You're always welcome here.