Question

Sonos losing settings at power outage

Badge
If a sonos unit lose power for any reason it will also lose most of the settings set on it, like current playlist, repeat, shuffle and so on.
Would it be possible to create a function localy on each unit to store this information? If not, then create a link to a cloud service where this information can be stored instead. There shouldn't be any need to create a new cloud service, just connect to existing cloud services like onedrive or google drive.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi Paladin, Welcome to the community!

You are correct, the Queue settings will be lost on a power cycle, it would be nice if this data was stored in someway, but i believe this is by design as the queue is a real time function and speaker specific, whereas other data such as playlists, favorites and music services etc are shared across the entire system and that information is shared across speakers as they join the system. Hope this makes some sense!
It takes less time to re obtain/select the playlist from the players after an outage or a shut down than it would take to get it from the cloud. Of course one has to remember which playlist was playing, but if one doesn't, it could be argued that it was not important information in the first place.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
This is something I would like too. It is rarely a problem, but if I have my players grouped and one loses power, it would be far more convenient for it to pick up where it left off when power is restored. Currently when powered back up it is a little tedious opening the controller app and regrouping. Current wiring regs in the UK mean that you are likely to have two sides to the fuseboard, with half your sockets protected by one RCD and the other half by a different RCD. So if an RCD trips for any reason, I have to sort out half of my players. If the player with the playlist is included in the power outage, then I have to set up the playlist as well as sort out the groupings.

Like I say, it is rarely a problem, but wasting precious seconds of your life solving problems that seemingly shouldn't be problems is often irritating!
Badge
Hi Paladin, Welcome to the community!

You are correct, the Queue settings will be lost on a power cycle, it would be nice if this data was stored in someway, but i believe this is by design as the queue is a real time function and speaker specific, whereas other data such as playlists, favorites and music services etc are shared across the entire system and that information is shared across speakers as they join the system. Hope this makes some sense!

Thank you for the reply!

I figured it was done by design, but it's a design i cannot understand the reasoning behind. I'ts not a major issue, but it's one of those issues that feels completely unnecessary and annoying when it does happen.

By the way, i thought i put this topic under "Community Feedback". It was ment to be a suggestion that could be implemented sometime in the future.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I doubt it was specifically designed to exclude it, rather it wasn't designed to protect against regular losses of power. It's a fairly uncommon occurrence in most places.
Would love to see this. I frequently carry my speakers between rooms which always deletes the playlist. Not often enough to buy another one though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A couple work arounds. If one speaker were to stay powered up it shouldn't lose settings. ie if you had a small UPS that powered one of the speakers. Then when power came back on the other speakers should sync back with the original one (they won't regroup though). Well I guess they may still lose what they had in their queue. I've never attempted.

Also - for something considered tedious as far as setting special settings. You could look at something like Sonosequencer app that allows you to do some settings type macros.