Sonos keeps skipping to next track. Unusable.

Show first post

163 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have this very same problem with my sonos, I'm currently working in Afghanistan and have only had my system since June, I thought it was down to a poor Internet connection but after reading other comments on here it seems like a slightly deeper problem! Can you please help me with this situation.... Thanks in advance
Hello, it looks like all errors are related to playing music from your MacBook. Has anything changed recently with how the MacBook is connecting to your network? I see that the MacBook is using WiFi to connect to the router. I'd suggest temporarily wiring the MacBook to your router or one of your Sonos components using an Ethernet cable. Once wired, turn WiFi off and play some music to Sonos. This will help us find out if Sonos is only dropping out when playing tracks from the wireless MacBook.

Let me know if the behavior improves or stays the same.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have this very same problem with my sonos, I'm currently working in Afghanistan and have only had my system since June, I thought it was down to a poor Internet connection but after reading other comments on here it seems like a slightly deeper problem! Can you please help me with this situation.... Thanks in advance
Hello, it looks like all errors are related to playing music from your MacBook. Has anything changed recently with how the MacBook is connecting to your network? I see that the MacBook is using WiFi to connect to the router. I'd suggest temporarily wiring the MacBook to your router or one of your Sonos components using an Ethernet cable. Once wired, turn WiFi off and play some music to Sonos. This will help us find out if Sonos is only dropping out when playing tracks from the wireless MacBook.

Let me know if the behavior improves or stays the same.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
The skipping. Constant skipping. Not acceptable. Guess what, the native spotify client doesn't have this problem. You know about the issue, but have we seen updated firmware? NO.

Hi Phillip, skipping is most commonly the result of interference between the source material and the resulting Sonos player. Usually, this is wireless interference between a wireless Sonos component and the wired player. We'd be happy to help find out what's going on with your system.

The next time a drop occurs, please send a diagnostic report and let me know what the confirmation number is. I'll take a look.

Thanks.
My Sonos has been working fine for several months since I bought it. And now it just keeps skipping to the next track before the previous one finishes. I have a bridge, 1, 3 and a 5. Music is taken from a NAS that is wired to the same router the bridge is. It is a fairly expensive way to get unplayable music. Please Sonos help, update, fix, or provide a complete refund as this is unacceptable performance.

You must have some idea what's happening as you've asked for lots of diagnostic reports by now. As this seems to be a common problem this must be a system fault - we can't all be unlucky (suddenly, as things seemed to work a while back)!

Just noticed the Home page for Sonos.com. It claims "No skips, delays or drops." - the comments on this thread and personal experience seem to be at odds with this. Please help Sonos, there is a problem.

Kind regards

Chris 
I would like to add my woes to this thread also. I am steadily losing patience with my Sonos set-up, as tracks stored on my NAS are skipping with no apparent reason. 
There was a brief time when the odd track would skip, with the notification 'Track Not Encoded Properly...', but now it seems every other track is skipping with no notification given.
This is happening every day, and is becoming unbearable.

Fibre > Router > NAS > Sonos:Connect > Amp (all hardwired) > Play:1 & Play:3 (both wireless).

Can somebody look into this for me please?!
I would like to add my woes to this thread also. I am steadily losing patience with my Sonos set-up, as tracks stored on my NAS are skipping with no apparent reason. 
There was a brief time when the odd track would skip, with the notification 'Track Not Encoded Properly...', but now it seems every other track is skipping with no notification given.

Fibre > Router > NAS > Sonos:Connect > Amp (all hardwired) > Play:1 & Play:3 (both wireless).

I've posted several times before. As of tonight, all my radio stations unexpectedly quit as well. By now, within two hours, various stations have just quit about 10 times. With this, and the unreliable NAS playback, my Sonos system is now pointless. Please do not ask for any more diagnostic reports. You have received countless ones. You keep suggesting myriad solutions, some of them over and over again, and nothing works. Your system has a catastrophic fault. Please admit to this. What I expect from you, and your company, is an acknowledgment that your system is flawed, and that you are taking a thorough approach to remedying your faulty system. I've seen Sonos advertised all over the London Tube. Nowhere on those posters did it say, performs playback with random reliability and frequent cutouts. Please inform us of what steps your company is taking to provide us with a reliable system. I am furious and close to demanding a full refund of this junk system. You are selling rubbish at inflated prices. Hacked off in London, Jürgen
Can someone please look into this? I submitted diagnostic ref 3373410.
Quick back of the envelope calculation. I can copy an entire CD's worth of music from my NAS back to my computer in about 20 seconds. That's about 120 times the speed of playback. OK to play you need to decode. Being conservative I'll say that decoding halves the download speed. That gives you 40 minutes of music transferred in 40 seconds, or 1 minute music per second download.

Turn it around. In one second the Sonos should be able to retrieve and buffer 1 minutes worth of music. OK if starting from scratch there'll be a latency delay of maybe up to a few seconds. However, this should be a concern only when you first press play. After that, remember, you can buffer about a minutes worth of music in the first second or so of download, and keep this buffer rolling.

Now there's a hiccup in the connection to the NAS. If Sonos has buffered the download (and enough of it) there should be adequate time for the system to re-find the NAS (it seems to do this to skip a track). Skipping to the next track seems like a "panic" response. It's not the way many people would design the firmware. It's not unreasonable to expect the Sonos to be fault-tolerant.
Userlevel 2
Quick back of the envelope calculation. I can copy an entire CD's worth of music from my NAS back to my computer in about 20 seconds. That's about 120 times the speed of playback. OK to play you need to decode. Being conservative I'll say that decoding halves the download speed. That gives you 40 minutes of music transferred in 40 seconds, or 1 minute music per second download.

Turn it around. In one second the Sonos should be able to retrieve and buffer 1 minutes worth of music. OK if starting from scratch there'll be a latency delay of maybe up to a few seconds. However, this should be a concern only when you first press play. After that, remember, you can buffer about a minutes worth of music in the first second or so of download, and keep this buffer rolling.

Now there's a hiccup in the connection to the NAS. If Sonos has buffered the download (and enough of it) there should be adequate time for the system to re-find the NAS (it seems to do this to skip a track). Skipping to the next track seems like a "panic" response. It's not the way many people would design the firmware. It's not unreasonable to expect the Sonos to be fault-tolerant.

That is a great analysis.  Do we know how much buffer capacity a Sonos unit has?  Is it the same for each model (Play:1, Connect:Amp, ....)? I found problems when my ping to the router was high (500 to 1500 microseconds)....This went away with a new router.   This seems to suggest to me (a novice) that the buffer capacity is just a few seconds....
Hi Thanks for your reply. I have a NAS drive hard-wired to a Sonos bridge, which is wirelessly connected from a room upstairs to 2 x Sonos Connect and 1 x Sonos Connect AMP downstairs. The wireless channels are at opposite ends of the scale (although I think they are on 2 and 10 rather than 1 and 11). The radio occasionally cuts out, and the sound also cuts out playing line-in signals going into the Sonos Connect devices. The radio isn't as bad as the other sources, which are pretty much useless.
I am having the same issue. My music streams direct from my iPad mini and it frequently stops in the middle of a song and goes to the next. However, the picture of the previous, now skipped song, is still on the display and the music timer is frozen but the next song is playing but not displayed on the screen. How to solve this?
Userlevel 2
Same here. Library stored on Apple Time Capsule wired to Bridge. Diagnostics sent, number 3380569.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi Juergen, it looks like we still have a ticket ready to go for you under 131119-001126. If you're still experiencing any problems with Sonos, I'd still suggest giving us a call as suggested in a previous post so we can have a closer look at the system with you. You can find our contact information on this page.

Thank you.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hello everyone,

Since this thread has come to cover a wide variety of audio interruption incidents with a number of individual systems, I'm going to have this thread archived and closed. We'd be more than happy to help solve these issues on a case-by-case basis since the solutions we've been finding have been specific to the system and environment for each case.

If you're still experiencing any audio dropouts with Sonos, be it from a NAS share, Internet Radio, or from your mobile device, please give our support team a call. Our contact information can be found on this page. If we've created a ticket for you in this thread, please give your technician that number so we can continue from where we left off.

Thanks.