Sonos keeps dropping out and losing connection

• 4 August 2018
  • 34 replies

I have 2 play 1 speakers. They run from a sonos bridge which is wired into my Orange live box via ethernet cable.
I also have another access point in another room which is hardwired back to the bridge. I use Sonos mainly for my own library stored on an Apple Mac Pro.
The whole set up is absolutely hopeless. Works fine during daytime but in the evening constantly drops out for up to an hour, fades comes back. I live in an old stone house with a fairly low download speed of around 5 mgb per second but I would not think the download speeds should make any difference as I play from my own library. I would appreciate any ideas on how to solve this issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge

So sad to be back reporting that despite adding the Sonos Boost the drop out problem has returned. 

@Jeff S, any chance you can see what this new code means? 

diagnostic code: 1724179389

My fear is that it’s the same thing as it was last time: Google WiFi traffic and generally poor network management on behalf of that system. 

Thanks in advance. 

NOTE: this seems to happen most when I listen to my turntable through a Sonos Connect, and not so much when I stream music through a service like Amazon or Spotify. All music comes through the same two Sonos One units. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jhcovert Thanks for the update. There’s still a lot of wireless interference showing in your report. This is causing many communication errors between your players. The Turntable unit shows the most wireless noise, and is likely using the most bandwidth if you’re streaming a line-in source. See if there’s anything specific near that unit that could be causing interference, or see if you can move the Connect.

Also it’s a good idea to check the compression settings for your line-in connection. Setting it to compressed should help in case the line-in source is using too much bandwidth.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Any chance you can wire any of the devices to Ethernet to get the traffic off the SonosNet WiFi?

Badge

@Jeff S  - turns out our home security hub is located beneath the turntable and Connect so I'm going to be experimenting in trying to relocate things. While I appreciate your helping in this matter, is there not a way for the consumer to do a little more informed digging and troubleshooting? i.e. is there a way for us to decipher the diagnostic codes on our own or is this something that can only be looked at by Sonos? 

@Stanley_4 - I have a Sonos Boost wired into the system, so theoretically that should provide the same results, no? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

@jhcovert That could be a factor. You can view diagnostic reports locally. To do so, head to a web browser and enter “http://IP address of Sonos Player:1400/support/review”. You can click on the room names to see the logs for each player, though some of it is rather arcane. The Network Matrix is a quick snapshot of the wireless status of the speakers, and may be the most helpful.

Badge

@Jeff S - that is incredibly helpful!!! Thank you. 

This way as I move equipment around the space I should be able to see in near real time if there’s any impact to the signal level and noise floor. 

I’ll keep you posted. Thanks again. 

Intermittently losing connection to Sonos network, even when internet connectivity is stable.

Diagnostic # 130208596

Please, advise, this has been going on for awhile!

@mayyrh Thank you for reaching out to us in the Sonos Community. I understand you are mentioning that you lose connection with your Sonos system. Can you be more specific to how you are being affected, meaning is this with one room name or your whole system, as well as is this with one music service or happening with multiple sources? What troubleshooting steps have you tried already and what happened when you tried steps listed in this thread? We can see from your supplied diagnostic report number that your are using at least two network routers with a Zone Bridge wired into the network with you likely being affected by wireless interference.

We will need your full network topology with the model names and numbers of the products that are wired or wirelessly connected on your network for any modem, router(s), extenders, access points or switches (managed or unmanaged). After you gather that information I would suggest that you make one of your Play:5 units or C:Amps as the Ethernet wired product to the router, then power off the Zone Bridge. Next, please power re-boot off your wifi equipment for 30 seconds with no lights on it, meaning no battery backup, then power it back up. While this equipment is powering back on then power re-boot off your Sonos units for the same time with no lights and plug them back in to power, no button pressing is needed. You can leave your bridge powered off and use Sonosnet from your wired Play:5 or C:Amp. While we are powering back on then re-boot the device(s) running the Sonos app. When reconnected then test the music playback for 30+ minutes and let us know the testing results along with an updated diagnostic report number here.

Same issue- YT Music loses connection on mostly wired network (2 of the 3 devices are connected via ethernet- neither can stream). I use a Google Wifi router and netgear switches. Confirmation number for diagnostic info is 1625377192