Sonos keeps dropping out and losing connection

• 4 August 2018
  • 34 replies

I have 2 play 1 speakers. They run from a sonos bridge which is wired into my Orange live box via ethernet cable.
I also have another access point in another room which is hardwired back to the bridge. I use Sonos mainly for my own library stored on an Apple Mac Pro.
The whole set up is absolutely hopeless. Works fine during daytime but in the evening constantly drops out for up to an hour, fades comes back. I live in an old stone house with a fairly low download speed of around 5 mgb per second but I would not think the download speeds should make any difference as I play from my own library. I would appreciate any ideas on how to solve this issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

I have the same issue and I have 35MB download. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I have had this system with 5 Play 5's, Soundbar, Sub, Play 3. Frustrated.
Badge
I have the same problem. The sound drops, and the system is randomly shutting off. Ironically this started happening the same day we lost Net Neutrality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, all. We can certainly get to the bottom of this for you. Following an occurrence of this issue, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. This way we can identify the cause. Many thanks in advance.
Badge
Sure! 811860144.
Badge
here's another: 1462635174
Same problem here. Diagnostic number is : 452188864
Badge
here's another when the system just randomly turned off: 1049606304.
Badge
Another random shut down: 459785180. I hope this gets you what you need to help us.
Also having the same issue: Diagnostic Conf #: 1770772928. Beyond frustrated!
Also having the same issue: Diagnostic Conf #: 1770772928. Beyond frustrated! And it's happening on my iPhone as well as my PC Controler. Aaaargh!
That would be expected....the controller is just a remote control, and the speaker is the thing that's losing connection to the stream, not the controller. Give them a chance to look at that diagnostic, I'm sure they'll find something.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
here's another: 1462635174

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. It looks like there are some wireless communication errors between your components. Most of the time this is due to wireless interference. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. If that doesn't help, please send in a new report and reply with the confirmation number.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same problem here. Diagnostic number is : 452188864

Hi there,

It looks like you have most of your Sonos units wired in, and some of them have been daisy chained together. How many units do you have wired into other Sonos units? If the chain is too long it can introduce latency which can result in errors like you've described. Please try reducing the number of daisy chained units to no more than 2 off of any one connection to your network. If that doesn't help, send along a new diagnostic report and I'll take a look.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Also having the same issue: Diagnostic Conf #: 1770772928. Beyond frustrated!

Hi there,

Your diagnostic report doesn't show a whole lot as your controller isn't connected to your Sonos system. Please try the steps in this guide to get reconnected to your system.

If that doesn't help, try temporarily wiring in one Sonos unit to your router with an ethernet cable. This should simplify things and show us where the communication issue is by eliminating the wireless variable.
Same problem here. Most of Saturday setting and resetting my Sonos Ones. I used to sing their praise, now I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone, at ieast until they sort out the connectivity issues. Come on Sonos get a grip.
The great majority of connectivity issues have to do with local issues in the local network, over which Sonos has absolutely no control. Perhaps you might submit a diagnostic, much like the previous person did, and be able to get some guidance from Sonos on how to correct the issues you’re experiencing with connectivity. And, in the tiny chance that there is something wrong with the Sonos speakers themselves, it would likely show up in that diagnostic, and you could jumpstart the replacement process.
Badge
i am having this same problem and it is incredibily fustrating. I have invested thousands in Sonos equipment. I never, never had problems streaming from my iPhone to my wireless system. But now that will no longer be supported, I've been trying to stream via my windows desktop (through ITunes) to my airplay enabled Beam (and then to my other speakers). The sound constantly drops.....not with any regularity or beat, but randomly between every 10 and 30 seconds. I have tried restarted every system, rebooting the computer, connecting via wired, etc and it inevitably starts this behavior again and again. I've run interference troubleshooting, I have changed channels, I have upgraded my router....this just sucks...

I have spend so much money on Sonos and am pissed as hell.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Time to submit a diagnostic and ask Sonos support to look at it, several 24x7 options on the contact page. They can give you an idea what is going wrong.
If the music is stored on the computer then set up a Sonos music library and play music from there, instead of using Airplay.
Badge
@Stanley_4 great I will try that and see where this goes

@John B I can do that, but my music library is so large that I’ve organized it into multiple playlists. (500 GB and 150,000 audio files). I get an error message every morning (after running scheduled updates at night) that the playlist files are too large and to delete some, but doesn’t tell me which ones. As a result my imported playlists on sonos are empty. I’ll ask about this at the same time.
Same issue - 323649842

Along with many other unresolved Sonos issues. Always same response from support, “Your network is the issue”

I am having similar issue. 

Here is my diagnostic report. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I am having similar issue. 

Here is my diagnostic report. 

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your system is losing connection to Amazon’s server while streaming. It’s not immediately clear from your report why this is happening. It would be best to continue troubleshooting this live with our phone team. Please give us a call, our number is found here.

I have struggled for two years or more with my system dropping out or cutting off completely. The App indicates that the music is still playing but crickets or intermittent from the speakers. Been on all these boards looking for answers because I love the system when it works. Finally solved the issues. I have too many wireless devices trying to access my WiFi router and the router can not process the requests. I tried making static IP addresses. WiFi extenders. Sonos Boost, Sonos router (no longer sold). Aaaargh! In the end I added a new WiFi router that is separate from my original home WiFi network. So two WiFi networks. The first continues to be my home network. Laptops, iPads, iPhones, etc. The second is dedicated to my Sonos system. I have an extensive Sonos system. Plugged my Sonos router into the new WiFi router and….it worked. No more dropping or intermittent songs. 

I’m having similar issues.

Here’s my diagnostic report.  685317763.