Answered

Sonos keeps dropping connection

• 26 January 2018
  • 40 replies

Hi, This clearly seems to be a common problem with sonos systems. My system keeps dropping connection regularly, especially with the radio. I have reset my router, updated my software but to no avail. There seems from other threads that there are several different reasons for this happening. Has anyone got any suggestions where to even start? All help gratefully received
icon

Best answer by Edward R 12 June 2019, 14:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

I’m having the same problems - seems to be since the most recent updates. I’ve tried swapping to use WiFi, changed channel, rebooted everything and still it is randomly losing rooms, stopping playing randomly and skipping tracks. Diagnostic is 8476362. Can anyone help?
Same here. I am a network & telecoms professional and have tried everything. Setting channel to fixed. Rebooted this and that first etc. Still rooms keep droping out and mistically coming back randomly after x minutes.
Axelgunn,

As a guess, you're having issues with duplicate IP addresses. Have you assigned reserved IPs to your Sonos equipment in your router's DHCP table?
After going over some things over the phone (ending with being told the connection is far far better) it seems to have gotten worse. I'm doing everything I can and everything I know from the tech. I have the PlayBar up pointing at the satellites. I have the router on 11 and have pulled powers in the right order, waited, and put them back in. Now the sub and satellites are both dropping.

Here is the funny thing. My setup is reasonably ideal. I am not in a large room. I'm in a medium/smaller room setup. I only have 2 things on my wifi. My phone and now recently my new TV. I wire everything. I do not have a crazy setup here. I don't have a family using a bunch of devices or anything. Only 1 sub and 2 Sattelites. I'm not in an apt or anything i'm in the suburbs with spaces between the homes.

I can't get through 1-3 songs before something cuts out. The sub is quite close to the playbar too!

When the week comes around and I'll be back on the phone with Sonos but I'm not sure what they are going to do at this point other than instruct me on how to hard wire the entire thing and run wires across my livingroom (exactly what I wanted to avoid). Also I don't even know how that works. The playbar has only 2 ports on the back and there are 3 systems cutting out. And my Router is full (3 PCs and a PS4). So do I need to start using switches/hubs?

I'll see what can be done before returning.

1843047572 diag submission.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, revel. Just going to drop my own perspective on this. Your PLAYBAR looks to have a satisfactory connection, you are correct in that regard. The issue of the SUB and satellites dropping out is likely down to 5GHz interference. Perhaps changing the channel of this network will prove useful? Apologies if this has already been addressed. Let me know how this goes.
Badge
9 speakers + boost - CONSTANT DROPOUTS NO RESOLUTION SINCE PURCHASED.

i have had constant dropouts forever. so frustrating.
i logged numerous support tickets and sometimes didn't even get a response from Sonos and when i did they would ask me just to do another test but never got any resoultio.

I have 9 speakers + boost. i even changed providers blaming my network. but just moved from Telstra to Optus and immediately gfot the same issue.
brought a boost, onlyh to realise i can connect to any speaker and it acts as a boost.

I wish it could get resolved as it is every few words of a song and it drops out.. even when its the TV playing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Have you used your router's DHCP settings to assign static/reserved IP addresses to all your Sonos gear? If not, do that and then unplug all Sonos gear, reboot router then plug in your Boost and then your other Sonos gear about a minute apart.

When you switched to Boost mode did you remove the WiFi credentials from your speakers? It can be done from the WiFi setup screen if they are still there.

Does this only happen if you stream from the Internet or from your local music library too? Any particular service better or worse than the others?

What does your network matrix look like? Post a readable screenshot and folks will help you figure it out.
Have you used your router's DHCP settings to assign static/reserved IP addresses to all your Sonos gear? If not, do that and then unplug all Sonos gear, reboot router then plug in your Boost and then your other Sonos gear about a minute apart.

When you switched to Boost mode did you remove the WiFi credentials from your speakers? It can be done from the WiFi setup screen if they are still there.

Does this only happen if you stream from the Internet or from your local music library too? Any particular service better or worse than the others?

What does your network matrix look like? Post a readable screenshot and folks will help you figure it out.

Hey!
I'm having the same problems as everyone else above. I have two Play 3:s, three Play 1:s, one Play 5, a Playbar and a sub. Randomly Spotify keeps disconnecting though TV and line-in work normally as they are hardwired. Often even the app doesn't work, connect or just lags completely. SO. Can someone explain the steps above? How do I set up static IP addresses etc.? Is there anything else that I should try out?
2019114182 my diagnostics
Also, I've already tried to factory reset and unplug-replug everything. Still ruining my experience. Sonos fix this or I'm switching to something that works instead of your products that never seem to work like they should.
Many of us have exstensive residential systems begun years ago, and then grew naturally because of the excellent performance and sound quality. Now, starting about a year ago, there is a nagging, worsening problem of frequent dropouts and song skipping. I have purchased stronger ISP signals, tried all of the system reboot strategies, added and withdrawn bridges and Booster configurations, and even purchased the Eero wifi matrix system ($400), all without success. The whole experience has been very expensive and deeply exasperating.

Because the system worked so fine in the beginning, yet has deteriorated over the years, I am concluding that Sonos, Inc., has either gotten ahead of itself or fallen behind current standards in the home entertainment industry. We dropout victims are due (1) a clear explanation, or (2) a remedy in terms of an easy fix not requiring professional services, or (3) a refund for our dysfunctional systems.
I would encourage you to read Stanley_4's posts in this thread, as well as my original answer. All of your symptoms point to the issue we've addressed in those posts. It's a real problem you're experiencing, but a relatively easy fix, in most cases.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What has Sonos said when you contacted them about your issues? That type of ongoing problem, one that isn't a bug in a recent release, is usually easily fixable. The user to user tips here or working with the Sonos folks usually gets you a stable and reliable setup. The help I got has got my system stable and aside from bugs that are usually squashed quickly issue free.
ANSWER FOUND? So I have been having same issues for months after over a year of zero issues. Same network nothing changed except SONOS began to not work. Tried almost all the answers here - reboot reboot ---sounds like my IT here at work. Usually, the issues arise whenever we involve ALEXA. Even if you dont use it. I was in my Amazon account and ended up finding my way to Alexa settings and noticed my registered devices had DUPLICATE for each device(have 3 SONOS One and Play 5) so I had 8 registered devices -- 4 duplicated. I just Deregistered 4 of them but I am not home to test it out. Be good if other that have the problem look into their Amazon account and see if they see duplications of the registered devices. I think this might be the cause of issues. Will update when I get home if this solved my issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
If you are encountering issues with your Sonos devices dropping off your system with regularity, there are a few points you will need to explore.

Firstly, what is the exact nature of the issue: Is it the fact that your music is being interrupted, or is your problem that you have rooms missing from the Sonos app?
Commonly, either of these issues can come as a result of wireless interference. Are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

If all of the above checks out, you may wish to set static IP addresses to the devices on your Sonos system, some routers have an issue maintaining a connection with devices that remain on the home network.
For information on how to do this, please consult the literature supplied with your router.

As you can see, there are many different aspects to having your system function properly.
If you are still having issues, please start a new topic with the following information:

• What devices do you have?
  • Has anything changed on the network?
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?