Answered

Sonos keeps dropping connection

• 26 January 2018
  • 40 replies

Hi, This clearly seems to be a common problem with sonos systems. My system keeps dropping connection regularly, especially with the radio. I have reset my router, updated my software but to no avail. There seems from other threads that there are several different reasons for this happening. Has anyone got any suggestions where to even start? All help gratefully received
icon

Best answer by Edward R 12 June 2019, 14:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What is common is Wi-Fi issues, which Sonos will make apparent. I had issues in the past, spotify drop outs, library tracks not playing to duration etc. I did a full network reboot, starting Sonos kit first. this solved all issues until the next update where i did the same with the same positive effect. Lately I've not had any further issues despite updates.
Hi bockersjv, thanks for the swift reply. I'll try the systematic approach you have kindly suggested and see if that fixes it! Watch this space!
Hi bockersjv, ok that hasn't worked. Reset the whole system and wifi and the radio has still been dropping off all week. Any other ideas?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just radio?
No, songs from Spotify just cut off half way through sometimes too.
Same problem here but only with Amazon and Pandora. Everything else seems to work fine. I suspected wifi bit why just on these two services which unfortunately are my primary sources. Can play them thru Bluetooth with no problem
Still absolutely no joy with this issue, very very frustrating. Has anyone even got close to a cure?
Badge
I’m having the same problems - seems to be since the most recent updates. I’ve tried swapping to use WiFi, changed channel, rebooted everything and still it is randomly losing rooms, stopping playing randomly and skipping tracks. Diagnostic is 8476362. Can anyone help?
It looks like sonos have given up helping people with this connection problem, I'm getting complete radio silence...a bit like my bloody sonos!!! Surely someone must have encountered this problem and solved it?
My Sonos keeps dropping every day. All services. Everything is hardwired. Have tried everything. Guessing the 2year old unit is going bad..??
Azvipers, in your particular case, and perhaps others in this thread, the issue might be duplicate IP addresses. I would recommend that you unplug from power all of your Sonos devices, and then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the first Sonos device. Since you’re fully wired, it shouldn’t make a difference which one, but for any others following this procedure, select the Sonos device plugged in to the router with an Ethernet cable, or if there is none, the one physically closest to the router. Give that device a minute or two to fully boot up. Move on to the next Sonos device, and plug it in, again waiting a minute or two for it to boot before moving to the next.

However, you can avoid this issue from recurring by assigning static IP addresses to all your devices in your routers IP table. This normally requires pulling out the manual for the router, since each manufacturer has a different interface by which it is done.

Good luck!

Moderator note, 12 June 2019:
This response was previously marked as the Best Answer. As we have noticed this topic gaining traction, we have decided to craft a new response that may be more beneficial to a wider audience.
Userlevel 1
I have had a Sonos System since 2010 and always told everyone how brilliant it was but now like everyone else seems to be I’m growing more and more frustrated and disappointed with it. I don’t understand all the technical terms but have tried several versions of so called fixes of the problem to no avail. All I want is to choose an artist, press play and enjoy but instead it constant dropping out, jumping tracks and cutting out again. Almost unusable on some days. Please Sonos sort this out because it is every time you upgrade that makes it worse.
Thanks!
Azvipers, in your particular case, and perhaps others in this thread, the issue might be duplicate IP addresses. I would recommend that you unplug from power all of your Sonos devices, and then reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in the first Sonos device. Since you’re fully wired, it shouldn’t make a difference which one, but for any others following this procedure, select the Sonos device plugged in to the router with an Ethernet cable, or if there is none, the one physically closest to the router. Give that device a minute or two to fully boot up. Move on to the next Sonos device, and plug it in, again waiting a minute or two for it to boot before moving to the next.

However, you can avoid this issue from recurring by assigning static IP addresses to all your devices in your routers IP table. This normally requires pulling out the manual for the router, since each manufacturer has a different interface by which it is done.

Good luck!

That seems to have fixed the problem for the past 5 days so far. Thanks!

Good luck!

That seems to have fixed the problem for the past 5 days so far. Thanks!

Spoke too soon. Dropping out again. Only have 1 Sonos device hardwired. Anyone know how to assign a static IP address on a ASUS RT-AC88U? Would this fix the problem?
I have netgear routers, not that familiar with the ASUS RT-AC88U, but surely there's an online manual that you could access?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is the page for the RT-66, there should be a similar one for the 88. It cured a lot of my Sonos glitches.

Page 64 -- http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/E7891_RT_AC66U_Manual.pdf

Asus support: https://www.asus.com/us/support/
This is the page for the RT-66, there should be a similar one for the 88. It cured a lot of my Sonos glitches.

Page 64 -- http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U/E7891_RT_AC66U_Manual.pdf

Asus support: https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Thanks! I got it set, hope that fixes the issue...
I'd just like to add to this - I'm a tech and have various test systems on my home network at any one time and I found that a network monitoring system I have setup was scanning the IP addresses of the Sonos devices and would cause them to drop off the network then come back. I am yet to tweak the monitoring system (just shut it down for now) but it was happening due to a scheduled discovery, and part of that was something they didn't like.
Short version, if something is scanning your network, Sonos device may drop off for a bit.
Badge
I have a Play 3 Keeps dropping WiFi connections. After first purchase setup never had a problem. Solid completely bullet proof operation. Now several years latter, this speaker is not even a good boat anchor (to light to boat anchored.) If anyone reads the comments before buying hope they see this post. I have reset up my Sonos to many times to count. Thought I had it working before last software update. Now, the unit is displaying a white light, indicating WiFi connection, however the Phone App can't find it!!!!! I am going to start over and try a factory reset. But this process is getting old.
Try assigning it a reserved IP address in your router's DHCP table. In most cases, that will resolve the issue you're running in to.
Additionally, contact support! With my issue above I also had a faulty Connect unit. I contacted support and they were very helpful and we ended up RMAing the unit for a replacement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can also submit a diagnostic to Sonos and post the number here so they can look at your system internal info.
I'm having the same problem and I'm ready to throw my sonos 3 in the garbage. I have changed the wireless channel and setup a static IP address for my Sonos. Nothing fixes it. I have submitted a diagnostics confirmation # 1630044849.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'm having the same problem and I'm ready to throw my sonos 3 in the garbage. I have changed the wireless channel and setup a static IP address for my Sonos. Nothing fixes it. I have submitted a diagnostics confirmation # 1630044849.

Hi bkrieger,

Your speaker losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. If you've already tried changing your wireless channel, the next best step would be to work with our phone team. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.