Answered

Sonos Keeps Disappearing

Badge
I have 2 Sonos Speakers. And they both periodically keep disappearing from the Sonos app and Spotify. When this happens, Alexa responds to all queries by saying she's having trouble understanding. The only way to resolve the problem is to power cycle the speaker and I'm getting pretty tired of moving the heavy dresser the bedroom one sits on to remove the plug from the wall.

Diagnostics: 1110091090

I know there are thousands of posts detailing the same problem on this forum. But Sonos' responses and 9000-step resolutions are pretty pathetic. I'm posting here as a last resort before I return these for some solid Echo devices.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 27 April 2018, 17:30

Oh my God. I can't return the speakers since one of them has been with me for longer than 30 days. I'm beyond livid.

I also just realized that this jgatie person doesn't even work for Sonos.

Can I get a response from an actual Sonos employee before I call my credit card company & throw these piece of shit speakers out my window?

Hi 3000monkeys,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. While jgatie is a very helpful member of the community, he is not a Sonos employee, but a customer like you. As such he can't view diagnostic reports. In looking at your report there appears to be a communication error causing your speakers to be unable to reliably connect to Spotify. Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to work with our phone team to get things working again or if need be, get a replacement speaker sent out. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.
View original

19 replies

Connection problems which appear suddenly are often caused by network problems, not Sonos problems. The typical cause is duplicate IP addresses. These often show up after an update or power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of current IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device. To cure this, do the following (pay special attention to the bolded below):

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next. Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup. See your router manual for details.
Badge
Not a bad idea re: assigning an IP. I'm going to try this. I just find it odd that in the 2 years I've had Echo devices I never once had connection issues. Thanks for the response. Will try this now (and start the return process at the same time).
Not a bad idea re: assigning an IP. I'm going to try this. I just find it odd that in the 2 years I've had Echo devices I never once had connection issues. Thanks for the response. Will try this now (and start the return process at the same time).

Just make sure to do the network refresh first, or you may be assigning an IP that is already in use.
Badge
Did the deed. Only time will tell if that problem's been solved.

Another problem has raised its head. Sonos has now stopped performing commands. I hear the wake up sound and then Alexa responds to all commands with "Hmm... I don't know that one." It happens no matter what command I repeat. The only solution was to remove and add Alexa to the speakers in the Sonos app.

I'm extremely wary of these speakers because this issue has now occurred twice already. I'm almost out of my return window so I think they're gonna go back. It's too bad, because they sound great, but it seems like Sonos pushed them out without robustly testing their integration with Alexa. Going to replace them with Echo devices as I had previously stated. Like I said, 2 years with Echo devices and never once had a problem. 3 weeks with Sonos and it's been like playing with something someone built in school.
Badge
Oh my God. I can't return the speakers since one of them has been with me for longer than 30 days. I'm beyond livid.

Can I get a response from an actual Sonos employee before I call my credit card company & throw these speakers out my window?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can I get a response from an actual Sonos employee before I call my credit card company & throw these piece of shit speakers out my window?

Hi 3000monkeys,

Thanks for sending in the diagnostic report. While jgatie is a very helpful member of the community, he is not a Sonos employee, but a customer like you. As such he can't view diagnostic reports. In looking at your report there appears to be a communication error causing your speakers to be unable to reliably connect to Spotify. Due to the nature of this issue it would be best to work with our phone team to get things working again or if need be, get a replacement speaker sent out. Please give us a call, you can find our phone number and hours here.
Badge
After about 4 hours of reinstallations and disabling and enabling settings, I've factory reset the speakers for now and am waiting for the problems to reoccur, which I'm sure they will. When they do and I have hours to spend on the phone troubleshooting, I'll be sure to call.

When Sonos fanboys say "Sonos is a lifestyle"... is this what they mean?

Thanks for the help!
After about 4 hours of reinstallations and disabling and enabling settings, I've factory reset the speakers for now and am [b]waiting for the problems to reoccur, which I'm sure they will. When they do and I have hours to spend on the phone troubleshooting, I'll be sure to call.

When Sonos fanboys say "Sonos is a lifestyle"... is this what they mean?

A factory reset is a pretty much useless method for fixing network issues - so yes, the problems most certainly will reoccur.
Badge
^Thanks, Wozniak, but I didn't have another option at the time since troubleshooting Sonos isn't my full time job.

I'm only giving this update because most of these pointless threads in the forum seem to end in silence and I found that pretty frustrating when I was trying to debug what had happened with my "smart" speakers.

I had a pretty pointless back and forth with tech support and a rather laughable recommended solution to the myriad of problems that I was having. After five emails of questions and apologies, Sonos' fix for the problem was that I power cycle my speakers every time I have connectivity issues. By their own admission, this is a fix that may only work for a few days, but it is what they recommend. They want me to move a 90lb dresser and a 120lb media console every 2-3 days, unplug my $200 state of the art wireless speakers and then plug them back in. Ain't tech support grand?

It was pretty obvious the agents were barely reading my responses and just churning out canned responses. I would tell them that the Sonos in the bedroom wasn't working and they would respond with "Hello, kind sir. We hope the day finds you well-fed and optimistic. It looks like you have turned off the mic on the Sonos in the kitchen which is why it is not working. God bless you." You had ONE job, tech support guru. At the very least, you would think they could take the time to read your email. Apparently not.

The final solution to my Sonos problem:
I turned off the microphone on both Sonos speakers and paired them with 2 new Dot devices. I've also added a Bose, a UE Boom and a Google Home to my home music setup. It's been about 2 weeks now and none of the devices have had problems. In 2 weeks, the Sonos devices (with the mic off) have had connectivity problems a total of: 7 times. That's nuts. The problems have been permutations of issues involving: Alexa, internet connectivity & Spotify.

I ended up sending Amazon a screen shot of this thread and the emails I received from Sonos and they have FINALLY agreed to issue me a full refund. O happy day. Furthermore, they told me I could keep the speakers. I'm still laughing about that but I think I'm either going to keep the current setup, donate them to Goodwill or make a YouTube video review of them, which will basically be me throwing them in the trash.

The sound on these was nice, but the software sucks, they have terrible tech support and it was overall a pretty awful customer experience that turned me into a frustrated, angry mess. Don't just take my bitter words for it, look at Amazon reviews. These speakers are not that great. Save yourself some money and either go with the non-voice activated ones and pair them with a Dot or just get Echo devices. They are truly plug and play.

Now I really need to move on with my life because I have better shit to do.
[...] The final solution to my Sonos problem:
I turned off the microphone on both Sonos speakers and paired them with 2 new Dot devices. I've also added a Bose, a UE Boom and a Google Home to my home music setup. It's been about 2 weeks now and none of the devices have had problems. In 2 weeks, the Sonos devices (with the mic off) have had connectivity problems a total of: 7 times. That's nuts. The problems have been permutations of issues involving: Alexa, internet connectivity & Spotify. [...]

You can't compare a single device to a multi-room solution. The latter demands a stable network environment.
Badge
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. I'm saying that I currently have about 5 wi-fi speaker systems operating on my network and the only one that consistently has network problems is the Sonos.
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying. I'm saying that I currently have about 5 wi-fi speaker systems operating on my network and the only one that consistently has network problems is the Sonos.

He is saying there are multiple models of the Sonos vs single models of every other brand. So the Sonos need to communicate between themselves, as well as access the internet, thus the requirement for a properly functioning LAN is more applicable than to a single device(s) having no others with which to communicate.
Badge
The problem occurs even with just one Sonos speaker plugged into the network.

Multi-room Echo has no problems whatsoever.
I understood you've added a single Bose, a single UE Boom and a single Google Home vs multiple Sonos units to your home music setup.
Badge
Gotcha. But like I've said, I've isolated my Sonos setup to 1 device and contrasted it with Echo multi-room (flawless) and the results are still the same.

All of this is irrelevant: I got my money back, these speakers are going in the closet or into the trash and I'll have flawless multi-room with my Echo devices. In the age of plug n play devices who has time for this noise?
I have never in my life heard of Amazon issuing a refund and then telling the customer to keep the product. I also find it extremely suspect that, after receiving a refund for nothing returned, one would trash (or stash) items which go for 60-75% of retail on e-Bay.

Something is definitely odoriferous in Odense.
Badge
Are you serious? You really need to spend more time on other websites besides the Sonos forum. It happens ALL the time.

I also said they might go in the trash or into the closet. Does it matter?

Then again, believe me or not, what do I care.

I have to say though, this kind of frothing-at-the-mouth, eyes-rolling-to-the-back-of-the-head fervor for a silly little speaker really makes me laugh. I bought a crappy product, wasted too much time trying to get it to work and ended up getting my money returned. Yet, despite all that, you're choosing to focus on whether or not I will resell the speakers as proof... of what exactly?

Who knows. Who cares.
Just making a comment, is all. Why exactly do you care?
I have never in my life heard of Amazon issuing a refund and then telling the customer to keep the product. I also find it extremely suspect that, after receiving a refund for nothing returned, one would trash (or stash) items which go for 60-75% of retail on e-Bay.

Something is definitely odoriferous in Odense.

I just got a refund from Amazon for a product that catches fire. They made me check boxes saying I cut the cord and threw it away.

Also, my sonos just started randomly disconnecting till I power cycle it. It's always been in the same spot. Pretty sure it was either the last group of updates or age. It's a few years old maybe 3 or 4. Always sits in the same spot, always been pretty nice. But now becoming annoying. 3rd time in 2 weeks... We'll see if it increases in frequency.
If it does... Guess I already have the answer here.