sonos keeps cutting out. sonos suggests A network switch with an IGMP Snooping option will be the fix

Badge

Having a right terrible time with Sonos 

Can some one please tell me exactly what I need to do as I’m no techie    

the tech side say I must do “A network switch with an IGMP Snooping option will be the solution “

this means nothing to me. please help

from

sonos

Thanks for following up with me.

I completely agree, the devices within are very common. Though we are reporting Network Flooding outwith our connections. While the issues are experienced on Sonos, they're originating from the network. The Network speed and bandwidth have zero impact here.

A network switch with an IGMP Snooping option will be the fix. 

I'll be more than happy to arrange a time to call but have very little further to add at this time. We must reduce the flooding and then combat the high amount of wireless interference. 

thanks ! As I’m about to dump the lot of it doesn’t work !! 14 speakers   Really poor of Sonos to not work 

21 replies

Userlevel 7

Are any of your Sonos speakers directly wired to your router or network with an ethernet cable? If not, can you wire one of them to the router?

Badge

Hi

hi.  yes   We were asked to do that so have a Sonos one old and also we added an Ethernet cable to the sound bar  on the tv  wired from the router   ..so two speakers hard wired. 

the issue still is there   

the surrounds cut out on off on off all the time  

Badge

They said we need to :

does anyone know how to do this simply please ? Or suggest a device I have to purchase.

Userlevel 7

Do you notice any change if you just hard wire one speaker? Try disconnecting the Play:1 from the router but keep the sound bar hard wired. Also try unplugging the sound bar from power for about a minute.

Badge

Hi 

we started with just the play one hard wired on our study to the router. 

we have then been told to try hard wire a speaker elsewhere so not ideal but we have a long Ethernet cable going outside the house to the tv soundbar in the lounge. I’d prefer just from the study as we can’t leave Ethernet cables all over the place. 

We need to do this IGMP snooping option so I need to know how to do this please.  

happy to unplug the Sonos one in the study and just use the soundbar but that means leaving tons of outside cable.   Not ideal fix as router is in my study and soundbar in the lounge. 

Userlevel 7

Keep the Play:1 hardwired and disconnect the soundbar. Have you unplugged the sound bar and surrounds from power for about a minute? Have you tried changing the SonosNet Channel in the Sonos app?

Badge

Hi

we have tried that my friend. 

we first just had the Sonos one hardwired.  It cut out all the time.  We changed Sonos channels many times with Sonos on a call.   They said to hardwire the tv soundbar hence why we now have long wires outside !

we did unplug the sound bar for a minute and unplugged  the Sonos one from the Ethernet. 

it’s all just reconnected so we will have to now try and see if it cuts out.  Issue is we are doing the same over and over and it’s not getting better.  The tv surrounds just go on and off all the time. 

I need to do what Sonos say and fix the igmp snooping option. Sonos are most unhelpful to loyal customers.  

appreciate your response !

anyone know about igmp snooping fix please ??

Userlevel 7

I believe IGMP snooping might be a setting you enable on your router. What model router do you have?

Badge

We have the bt smart hub 2 

we use halo 2 for strong WiFi 50 plus on all rooms with their boosters 

Support was referring to an unmanaged network switch that is IGMP snooping enabled such as this one. I have no idea if this switch is available for purchase in the UK, if not look for a similar one (keywords: unmanaged network switch ; IGMP snooping enabled).

Badge

Very kind.  Thanks so much. I’ll do some digging.   Or will have 14 speakers to go !  It’s driving us mad going in and out all The time 

Badge

Hi. We ordered the tp link to-sg105 you recommend 

can I please ask what we do with it from our router and how does it fix the issue please ?

sonos said this last 

“I'll be more than happy to arrange a time to call but have very little further to add at this time. We must reduce the flooding and then combat the high amount of wireless interference. 

I'd much prefer a switch to be introduced with further testing and diagnostics to follow.”

Hi. We ordered the tp link to-sg105 you recommend 

can I please ask what we do with it from our router and how does it fix the issue please ?

The ethernet switch is a portable multi network socket. You can hard wire up to 4 devices to it (TV, PC, Sonos etc.), the port which reads ‘Link/Act’ being the one you plug into a free ethernet port on your BT smart hub.

sonos said this last 

“I'll be more than happy to arrange a time to call but have very little further to add at this time. We must reduce the flooding and then combat the high amount of wireless interference.

Sonos uses multicast for discovering and grouping purposes. IGMP snooping restrains the multicast traffic in your switched network to prevent these data packets from flooding your network if more than one multicast enabled streaming device (Sonos or IPTV for instance) is wired into your network.

Badge

Hi  ok   we will do that      

our router has four ports so i dont see why plugging them all into the tp link if we just plug that part into the router makes a difference and put all in the tp link how that makes the drop out issue go away im   happy to try !   its reeeeeally bad !

many thanks 

ill update if we get any joy..  appreciate your help !

Few routers are IGMP snooping enabled, and as the diagnostic report points to multicast flooding the BT smart hub is probably incapable of handling multicast traffic.

In case the drop outs persist: If 'Auto channel' is enabled in your router, then disable it and set a specific channel, either 1, 6 or 11. Change also the SonosNet channel ('Settings --> System --> Network --> SonosNet Channel') to either 1, 6 or 11. That means when e.g. SonosNet is set to channel 1, put your router on channel 6 (or vice versa). See also Reducing wireless interference. If you’ve got a HUE bridge put ZigBee on channel 25.

Edit: Make sure that you’ve removed the WiFi credentials from the system. On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Networks. Select the WiFi network you'd like to remove, and tap Remove. Wait about 10 min, then go to 'Settings → System → About my Sonos System' and see if WM:0 is being displayed next to each unit.

You should dump all of your Sonos equipment. You should never have to deal with statements like this. I have never had an issue setting up any speaker except Sonos and their terrible technology. And then for you to be deciphering networking jargon like this is a shame. It’s not you, buddy, Sonos is junk.

I was having this issue every time I used my Sonos across all music streaming services and my iOS airplay.  It would happen intermittently every five minutes.  I read through all of the suggested fixes and was unable to eliminate the problem.  However after hours of trying different things I was able to figure out a fix that isn’t discussed in the troubleshooting guides.  Here is the fix - hopefully it helps eliminate some headaches for someone:

Most Wi-Fi routers these days come with two network speeds - 2.4 ghz and 5.0 ghz.  Typically 5ghz is higher network speeds but lower range distance.  2.4 is a little slower but has better range.  Most routers separate these channels with a separate network name such as “network-name” and “network-name_5g”.  I had part of my Sonos on the 2.4 network and part of it on the 5g network depending on distance from the router.  Don’t do this!  Go to settings in your Sonos app. Choose system.  Then network.  Make sure only the 2.4 or the 5g network is listed - not both.  Worked for me.

You should dump all of your Sonos equipment. You should never have to deal with statements like this. I have never had an issue setting up any speaker except Sonos and their terrible technology. And then for you to be deciphering networking jargon like this is a shame. It’s not you, buddy, Sonos is junk.

It’s just a setting on the router that my 12yr old grandson could do - you’re making a big song and dance about a simple setting change on a router that should be supporting multicast broadcasts across the LAN in any case. It’s no more difficult than switching off/on a WiFi network on a mobile device.

I know this is an old thread but I have some information that may be useful to people searching on Google. 

I am a network engineer dealing with muliticast traffic on a far bigger scale than Sonos (1000's of Gbps across several hundreds of endpoints)

IGMP snooping alone doesn't do anything. You must have at least one IGMP querier on the network. The VLAN which has the querier (on that switch) must have an IP address to bond to. The querier will handle the connections, known as subscriptions. 

Additionally, every switch on the network must have IGMP snooping enabled (including WiFi access points). If any switch doesn't have it enabled, the muliticast traffic will be broadcast out of every port on that switch.

A couple of things worth noting. 1) Only one of the switches must have a querier. 2) Almost all "managed" switches will have snooping, but very few domestic switches will have a querier.

Cheap switches known to have a querier, Aruba, MikroTik. Both require some level of networking experience to configure. Check the model does what you want before purchasing. 

Some good news. Because Sonos is only using a few Mbps, you will likely get away with simply hard wiring all of your speakers and letting it flood the network. (I get where they're coming from by saying hard wire one and let sonos use its own network, but you're still likely to overwhelm it.)

Scott,

I’m running Cisco 2960 and 3850 on my network.  I have only wired the sound bars (3 of them). I have sonos and smart TVs on separate VLAN.  I turned on IP snooping and DAI today to test on this VLAN.  

The sound was very bad today during the super bowl. But you’re saying to wire everything (about 32 sonos speakers) and flood network?  This is contrary to everything I’ve been told.  Can you elaborate on this advise?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I don’t think 32 Sonos will have much impact on a GB wired network, they move very small amounts of data.

Here I can’t even see them on my network traffic monitor as they are swamped by TV and security camera traffic.