Sonos keeps cutting in and out

• 25 February 2019
  • 8 replies

Will not play any complete song without cutting in and out. Worked fine for years previously.
"Unable to connect" keeps popping up. Will not stream online music, same problem.
Diagnostic code 5591416141

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Will not play any complete song without cutting in and out. Worked fine for years previously.
"Unable to connect" keeps popping up. Will not stream online music, same problem.
Diagnostic code 5591416141

Hi furnman567,

Welcome to the community. Your diagnostic report has some formatting errors making it hard to read. Can you please submit a new one and reply with the number?
Your confirmation number is: 1605785900.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Your confirmation number is: 1605785900.

That report also has errors. This usually happens when the Sonos speakers are unable to communicate properly. Please run through the steps in this guide which should help get things going again. If that doesn't work, it would be best at this point to continue troubleshooting with our phone team who can take a look at things live. You can find our phone number and hours here.
I've got the same problem occuring since the last update which I applied this morning. I've never had issues before. Interestingly it works fine if I use Airplay, but as soon as I use the Sonos app on either my Macs, or my iPhone, the streaming keeps cutting out (~ every minute or so).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've got the same problem occuring since the last update which I applied this morning. I've never had issues before. Interestingly it works fine if I use Airplay, but as soon as I use the Sonos app on either my Macs, or my iPhone, the streaming keeps cutting out (~ every minute or so).

Hi there,

What is the source of the audio when it cuts out? If you're playing from the storage of your iOS device, you may be running into an issue we're looking into. If you have non-Sonos Airplay devices active on your network streaming from the storage on iOS devices will likely be interrupted. You can disable Airplay on those devices or disable auto lock on your iOS device to get the streaming working again.

My recommendation is to move your music library off of your iOS device and on to a computer or NAS drive, then set up a music share. This will allow you to use any controller to play your music library, and won't be affected by non-Sonos Airplay devices. The music will even keep playing if your iOS device goes to sleep or goes offline entirely.

If you have audio interruptions from any other source, there's something else going on. This guide has some great troubleshooting steps that address the most common causes of audio interruptions.

If you still have cut outs after going through the guide, please submit a diagnostic report and reply here with the confirmation number.
It was cutting out when listening to 'Absolute 80's' radio either via Apple Music, or via the TuneIn radio service. The reason why I don't think it's a Wifi issue is that if I use Airplay from my phone there is no issue at all. My diag confirmation number is 997387675.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It was cutting out when listening to 'Absolute 80's' radio either via Apple Music, or via the TuneIn radio service. The reason why I don't think it's a Wifi issue is that if I use Airplay from my phone there is no issue at all. My diag confirmation number is 997387675.

Thanks for trying. The report shows that the streaming data isn't getting to the speakers fast enough, causing cut outs. At this point I'd recommend troubleshooting this live with our phone team. Please reach out to us over the phone, our number and hours can be found here.
Confirmation code 2015256438, any luck with this one?