Question

Sonos keeps crashing

For some reason, my sonos system is crashing constantly. Sometimes it won't connect at all while others it will connect and play for a few songs then crash. After it crashes the home screen displays that there are no sonos in the system. What can I do to fix this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

It's not crashing as such, it's the controller loosing the connection to the Sonos devices, which points to inherent problems with your network (this is the point where you say "there's nothing wrong with my network!" and we all mutter "of course there isn't"). It's either wireless interference or an ip address conflict. It might be easier to submit a diagnostic from the settings menu and post the confirmation number here, one of the Sonos staff will happen upon it like a pixie in the woods whilst out picking mushrooms or something and let you know if they can see any problems.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
There is not anywhere near enough information for anyone to help you with what you have said so far.

An often quoted general fix on these forums is to turn EVERYTHING on your network off. Restart your router first. Wait for it to finish starting up. Then start the first piece of Sonos kit. When it has finished starting up then start the second, etc. After that, start other stuff up one by one, phones, tablets, computers, TVs etc. In every case wait for the device to finish starting up before starting the next one.

Then see if the issue is resolved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
For some reason, my sonos system is crashing constantly. Sometimes it won't connect at all while others it will connect and play for a few songs then crash. After it crashes the home screen displays that there are no sonos in the system. What can I do to fix this?

Hi Tizuech,

There's some great suggestions here already. If you're still having issues with your controller losing connection to your system, please send in a diagnostic report when your controller is connected to your system, then reply here with the confirmation number, I'll take a look. Here's how to submit reports.

Also, I've moved this conversation into the troubleshooting area.

Hi Jeff.

I´ve got the same problem as Tizuech, but just for my PLAY 5´s

My diagnostic info has ID: 6357052

Hope to here from you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi Jeff.

I´ve got the same problem as Tizuech, but just for my PLAY 5´s

My diagnostic info has ID: 6357052

Hope to here from you!

Hi John,

There's some wireless interference showing up. This may be the reason for the issues you're having. Please try changing the Sonos wireless channel, here's how.

If that doesn't help, please reply with a bit more information. Which PLAY:5s are having the issue. Are they disappearing from the controller or just having playback issues. Do the buttons on the PLAY:5s respond when they are having issues?
Thanks Jeff .... I´ll look in to it ... just run NetSpot and my Wifi has channel 6, the same as SonosNet ... so I´ll change that to 1 ... 11 all my neighbors use ;)
It´s "Kontor" and "Caro1" the problems occur.

I´ll get back to you after tested it, and make a new diagnostic file.

Thanks again ...
Even when you have Sonos on a different channel, make sure that the wired component is at least 3 feet from your router.
Thanks Jeff .... I´ll look in to it ... just run NetSpot and my Wifi has channel 6, the same as SonosNet ... so I´ll change that to 1 ... 11 all my neighbors use ;)
It´s "Kontor" and "Caro1" the problems occur.

I´ll get back to you after tested it, and make a new diagnostic file.

Thanks again ...

John B wrote that put it 3 feet away from the router ... its on the other side of the wall ... but moved the Play 5 to an other room and everything works find.

Thanks for all help and fast response!
Im struggling with this same issue, was working perfectly. Now it will play maybe 4-5 songs then it crashes or ir gives me a queue error?

my diagnostic info number is 6993900

cheers

Andy
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Im struggling with this same issue, was working perfectly. Now it will play maybe 4-5 songs then it crashes or ir gives me a queue error?

my diagnostic info number is 6993900

cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Your speaker is losing connection to your wireless network occasionally. This is likely caused by interference from a nearby wireless network on the same channel as your router. Please try changing your router's wireless channel and see if that helps.
Hello- My sonos connect keeps shutting off. It says "playback from Spotify was stopped becuase playback was started from another room or device (which isn't the case). My diagnostic info number is 7639572. Please help!
Badge
When I use either my iPad or iPhone to stream or play music it keeps dropping out. Can you please advise if you see any issues on my network? The diagnostic number is 7814751
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Trial_Master:

Thanks for reaching out and for the diagnostic. If this seems to only happen when streaming from your iPhone and iPad I would assume that the connection between those devices and the network is spotty. After taking a look through the diagnostic report, it seems your Sonos devices are also having a hard time maintaining a wireless connection to the router. What is the model of your ASUS router? Is it possible to plug the PLAY:1 directly into the router to test if the audio drops persist? If so, please run another diagnostic report and reply with the confirmation number.
Badge
Hi Keith

Model of ASUS router is RT-AC88U. I have airtime fairness disabled and signal is strong where PLAY:1 is located. What sort of hard time are the Sonos devices experiencing? I have good wifi throughout house, no other devices experience these issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Model of ASUS router is RT-AC88U. I have airtime fairness disabled and signal is strong where PLAY:1 is located. What sort of hard time are the Sonos devices experiencing? I have good wifi throughout house, no other devices experience these issues.
Based on the diagnostic report, the iOS device you used to submit the report is connecting to a different device than what your devices are connecting to (as indicated by differing MAC addresses). Interestingly enough, that device seems to be broadcasting the same network name (SSID) that Sonos is trying to connect to. This likely gives you the idea that your wireless signal is flawless and singular, when in reality you may have multiple access points that broadcast the same SSID. While your other devices can connect to the network, most devices do not need to send the same signal in sync across multiple locations as Sonos does.

Just to be certain, are you using any extenders or access points? If so, you may want to either separate the extenders from the main network by having them broadcast a different SSID than whats currently being broadcast. While it will still be connected to the main network, this will differentiate the extended network from the main network being broadcasts from your main routing unit.

Let me know if you find this helpful or would like me to clarify anything.
Badge
I only have the one wifi router. I have the 2.4ghz & 5ghz both broadcasting same SSID.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. Let's start with naming the 2.4 GHz and 5GHz with different SSID's. More often than not, customers tag on a "yournetworkname_5G" to the 5GHz network just to differentiate. Afterwards, test the audio and please submit another diagnostic report so we can see what effect this has on the lost connection errors we are seeing in the previous diagnostic report. Thanks in advance.
Badge
Ok, I'll have to do that tonight. I am working from home currently and renaming wifi will knock a whole bunch of stuff offline.
If anyone from Sonos is following this thread please can they review diagnostics packet 7933675 as I keep losing connection between controller and the system and I have tried all 3 of the alternate SonosNet channels so it would be good to confirm whether there is indeed wireless interference before going thru all the tech in the house to try and fix the problem. Thanks James
I'm having the same problem. After not being used for many months, I hooked up my Sonos ZP100 today. It's the only component in my system (my ex got the rest). After a few minutes the ZP100 stops playing music and disappears from the network. When I restart the controllers software on my Windows 7 PC, it says it can't connect to Sonos. It can send diagnostics: the confirmation number is 8283529. Looking at the controller, the white light on the front is dimming and brightening randomly, but it's never very bright.

My ZP is connected via ethernet cable to my network. So is my PC where I'm running the Controller software. Interestingly, I can ping the controller from my PC's command line.

Any thoughts?
Userlevel 1
Badge
My system is dropping out, too. Thought we had this fixed earlier in the year. Guess not.

Diagnostic Code: 8284793
I should add that I have a FOIS G1100 router with firmware 02.00.01.05.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Even longer dropout today.

Diagnostic Code: 8290599
Update: My ZP-100 is working again.

After reading some more things on the web, I decided to take apart my ZP-100 to look for burned out components, conductive junk causing a short, or a bad connection. Caution: this voids any remaining warranty and apparently prevents Sonos from offering a cheap replacement if you send it in for repair. Also, the instructions I found on the web are somewhat sparse. In particular, you should unscrew the antennas early on.

Given all that, I disassembled the whole thing, disconnected and reconnected all the plug-in components, blew out everything with compressed air and reassembled. Based on past experience disassembling and reassembling things, I fully expected it to go "pop!" and start smoking when I plugged it in, but surprise surprise - it worked!
It has been becoming a regular occurence, here. Diagnostic code 353046564