Sonos just....stopped working

• 7 December 2021
  • 23 replies

Badge

So I tell Sonos Alexa to play a SiriusXM channel for me today and am suddenly told that she can’t do that and to check my account for instructions on how to link my account with Sirius.  

This had been working fine for a few months!

Bonus:  My Sonos phone app doesn’t work anymore either.  When I go to SETTINGS, the “Account”, “System”, and “Services & Voice” menu options are greyed-out and unclickable.  

So I can’t actually do ANYTHING with this buggy speaker.  

This is beyond ridiculous. I now own a $250 paperweight.

23 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please boot your router and then power down the Sonos device for 1-2 mins then power back on.  Please let us know how you get on.

Badge

How I get on what?   I just use the ON button for Sonos.  Have wireless router, blah blah blah that isn’t the problem, as all other devices are working fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Sorry, I thought you came on to the forum for help!  My mistake…

Tips & Tricks - Resolving random issues impacting Sonos devices.. | Sonos Community

Badge

I did but what you said didn’t work.  Router rebooted.  Sonos back on.   still...suddenly...just not working

Badge

Sonos keeps telling me to go to my Alexa app and that she’s allegedly sent instructions to said app for linking.   But she LIES!

Why did this suddenly stop working?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Please open the Alexa app and Disable then Enable the Sonos Skill.

Badge

I went to Alexa app anyway to “Enable the skills” that Sonos Alexa has suddenly forgotten.  

But, predictably, all skills are still there in the Alexa app and enabled.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I went to Alexa app anyway to “Enable the skills” that Sonos Alexa has suddenly forgotten.  

But, predictably, all skills are still there in the Alexa app and enabled.  

Did you do as I asked and Disable then Enable?

Badge

The Alexa app will not permit me to Disable the Sonos skill. 

LOL this is actually amusing at this point.  

Badge

I do sincerely appreciate your efforts, btw.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There is an Amazon Music issue currently: Sonos Status 

I don’t know if this is also impacting Alexa.  If you can’t remove the skill from the Alexa App, I suspect that is where your problem lies.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I do sincerely appreciate your efforts, btw.

That’s fine but worth remembering that this is a user forum with some limited support from Sonos employees.  Whilst I know how frustrating these issues can be, you’ll get more assistance by staying factual. :)

Badge

I can’t even connect the Sonos to my phone to play music via Bluetooth.

Badge

I’ve been 100% factual, thank you.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hey friends! This is a little outside of my normal role here at Sonos, but I wanted to jump in and let you know we’re seeing issues with both Alexa Voice Control and SiriusXM as a result of an ongoing outage at Amazon Web Services (AWS). We’ve got folks working to get status.sonos.com updated with this information now, but some of our internal tools are also partially affected, so it’s taking a bit of time.

Sorry for the trouble! On the bright side, Amazon is aware and working on the problem.

Edit: status.sonos.com is now successfully updated with all known affected services:
https://status.sonos.com/incidents/hbm5fxn1qxp0

Badge

In Alexa, I’ve disabled the 3 skills that suddenly stopped working for no reason whatsoever.

• Sonos App
  • SiriusXM
  • Pandora

I’ve also rebooted both the phone and the SONOS speaker.  Am waiting a few minutes for that to complete.   No argument re: Alexa-Amazon Music being down….but I can’t even connect my phone directly to Sonos via Bluetooth and play music off my phone, which, like everything else, had been working fine until today.   Not sure why Sonos App works fine...but Sonos speaker isn’t even a Pairable Device in my Bluetooth settings?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hey friends! This is a little outside of my normal role here at Sonos, but I wanted to jump in and let you know we’re seeing issues with both Alexa Voice Control and SiriusXM as a result of an ongoing outage at Amazon Web Services (AWS). We’ve got folks working to get status.sonos.com updated with this information now, but some of our internal tools are also partially affected, so it’s taking a bit of time.

Sorry for the trouble! On the bright side, Amazon is aware and working on the problem.

Thanks @Sean M 

Badge

Thank you, Sean M.   I’ll post an update here this afternoon, in case other users are experiencing similar issues.

Badge

OK so I was finally able to pair my Sonos with my phone via bluetooth.  Alexa interface still not working with either SiriusXM nor Pandora

Badge

Update:  Still not working.  “Unable to link Sonos with Alexa” is the error message I get from Alexa app but that app is able to link to SiriusXM and Pandora so it seems to continue to be a SONOS-specific issue.

All of Amazon is having substantial issues, which I suspect are why you’re having so much trouble connecting with Alexa at this moment in time. You may want to read:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/7/22822332/amazon-server-aws-down-disney-plus-ring-outage

Badge

All of Amazon is having substantial issues, which I suspect are why you’re having so much trouble connecting with Alexa at this moment in time. You may want to read:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/7/22822332/amazon-server-aws-down-disney-plus-ring-outage

Thanks, will do.

Badge

Update:  Looks like this was an Alexa outage that has been fixed.  Thank you, SONOS Help Team.