Question

sonos + itunes: "sonos was unable to add the music folder"

Userlevel 2
I've been trying to add my music library, which lives on an external RAID volume connected to my Mac. Followed all the steps, and the result I get is "Error. Sonos was unable to add the music folder. Sonos was not able to start the music library server because your players are not compatible. Please check for updates."

I tried googling "because your players are not compatible" and get very little luck. The guided diagnostics gives me nothing to go on because there is no error code.

My diagnostic code is 4846680. Any help would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi bnsracing,

Thanks for the details, that diagnostic isn't showing any of your Sonos components, so there's definitely some communication trouble on the system there. Likely you're looking at something on the computer not connecting with the players properly, but we'll want to take a closer look with a technician. I've created a ticket for you with our support team under reference number 150827-001083 with your details. Can you give us a call when you're available to troubleshoot live?

You can find our contact information and hours here.

Let us know how it goes.
I got the same message on my mac mini with iTunes folders on an external drive.
I seem to have worked around it by adding a /* (slash-asterisk) wildcard as follows:
/Volumes/external drive/iTunes folders/*

where '/Volumes/external drive/iTunes folders' wouldn't work
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Thanks for posting your solution here, Kozmikray. This should help others solve some of their issues, too. If I were to add anything, it would probably be this troubleshooting article.
I have the same issue. The system will not allow me to use the /* work around. As soon as I type in the * the "next" button goes gray. The troubleshooting article is no help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I have the same issue. The system will not allow me to use the /* work around. As soon as I type in the * the "next" button goes gray. The troubleshooting article is no help.

Hi Ragsy,

Though it might be best to give us a call on this one, I'd be happy to take a look at a diagnostic for you. Mind following the steps here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and replying back with your confirmation number? Please do this right after you've tried to add the music folder so we get good logs on there.

Thanks
same problem. diagnostic number is 6621017
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi merv, welcome to the community. The error on your diagnostic usually indicates a firewall blocking Sonos from reading the files on the Mac. Take a look at our article here for information on how to configure yours.
thanks for this, though now I get the message "players are not compatible, please check for updates". everything seems to be up to date though.
diagnostic for the above is 6663709
thanks for this, though now I get the message "players are not compatible, please check for updates". everything seems to be up to date though.
Is there an "Update Now" at the top of main menu? If not, have you clicked Settings, Online Updates to make sure?
Thanks John. I managed to get round it all through navigating the firewalls. Then I got the error 1002. Tried the age old turn it off and on again and we're all good now.