Question

Sonos is not starting up.

• 14 September 2015
  • 35 replies

Badge
I recently went to turn on my sonos system, 2 play 1's and a bridge, and it would not turn on. I can't find them with any of my devices. I have tried restarting them but have found no success. I love you product and it is an integral part of my mornings. Could you help me get my mornings back on track by getting my system ack up and running?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Lets start it like this. Unplug all.

Reboot your home router.

Plug the bridge into power and about a minute for the bridge to connect up to your router. Make sure bridge light comes on.

Then plug in the 2 play:1's. Wait unit they stop blinking (booting).

Make sure your controller is set to the wifi of your router.

See if working.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi dbaileyy,

Welcome to the Sonos community. Sorry but I have to ask...you are sure the main power is on? Do you have any lights on your Sonos speakers?

If you have lights and power,

Turn it all off again
Shut down the router and power it up again. Give a it few minutes before you turn on your Sonos speakers
Re-power what ever you are using for the control of Sonos.

Let us know how it goes

Les
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Chris beat me too it! What Chris said!
Badge
Thanks! I'll give it a try!.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
If that all works again. Start your Bridge first and give a few minutes then turn on the speakers. I just lave mine on all the time but lots of folks turn theirs off.
Badge
do I wait till the bridge light is not blinking to plug stuff back in? Or is the blinking ok?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would wait for it to stop blinking..shouldn't take but a minute or 2
Badge
it has been more than a couple minutes and it is still blinking.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
what color is it flashing
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
flashing white means powering up
flashing green means it doesn't remember you system and has reset
Badge
blinking white, so I'll keep waiting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If its still blinking white something is wrong after all this time.

If still blinking white - unplug it from power.

Take one of your Play:1s and bring it over to router and hook it to the Ethernet cable and try booting it up instead.
Badge
my router is not in the same room as my speaker. will I be able to keep my speaker in the same room as I have it now?
You're just testing for a problem at the moment, move the speaker for now and see if it works plugged in to the router, then we can think about the next step.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is just for testing and getting everything fixed. We won't leave the speaker connected to router.
Badge
ok, that works. and both of my 1's work. so what do I do to get my bridge working again so I can have my speakers in their right rooms? Thank you for the help so far!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
ok lets see if we can fix the bridge.

Unplug the Ethernet cable from the router so your bridge is not connected to router.

Now hard reset the bridge:
Disconnect power, and then hold down the Connect button and reconnect the power plug. Continue holding the Connect button until the status indicator light begins to flash amber. Eventually it will start flashing green and white simultaneously, meaning it is factory reset and ready to add back to your system.

Hopefully then the bridge comes up flashing green and white as it says and ready to add back. Go into controller and hit add Boost or Bridge..click on USE Somewhere ELse. Go through and add it back.

Now once you are done you can hook it to your router like it was before. Give it about 5 minutes once you hook it to router. Then unplug the Play:1 and take back where you want it. Then give system about 5 minutes once you plug the play:1 back in where you want it and let the system adjust.
Badge
should I keep the one speaker plugged in?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Keep the speaker plugged in to router until

1) you have hard reset bridge
2) you have added bridge back to system under setup
3) you have plugged bridge back into router
4) you have waited 5 minutes for system to adjust

after those 4 steps you can unplug your speaker from the router.
Badge
to the ethernet cable and/or to the power
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
both - working as it is now
Badge
it is saying that the product must be wired to the router to be added back in. I tried that and it is not recognizing that it is connected.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is your bridge flashing orange now?

Are you using desktop or mobile device to add the bridge back.

Do you know what version of firmware you are running (under setup ... about my sonos)
Badge
it did.

desktop

version 5.4
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
when you add bridge under desktop it should ask you if WIRE TO ROUTER or SOMEWHERE ELSE - pick Somewhere else and it should ask you to wire to router.