Sonos is killing my network!

• 9 October 2017
  • 8 replies

I'm having connection problems with my home network. Here is my current setup:

Virgin Media Hub 3 provides the internet, That is connected to a Netgear R7000. I have a TP-Link SG108E switch connected to that.

I have my TV, Virgin media box connected to the Hub 3 using ethernet. The R7000 is in my gaming room. Connected to that is 2 play 1s and a play 5 via ethernet. The play 5 has a line in cable that goes in to my main PC. I then have a Ethernet cable going to the switch which has my main PC, xbox one and second PC connected to.

Everything has internet connection but the connection does't seem stable, Websites load slow, I disconnect from Xbox Live and streaming sites(twitch) keep buffing the video and sometimes flat out die.

I have unplugged the 2 play 1s and play 5 and have them running on wifi, everything is fine and no lag, disconnections or buffering. It seems like having the Sonos system hooked up on ethernet providing sound from my PC is killing the network, I tired using wifi but audio would drop out every few minutes.

Anyway to fix this? If you would like any more information then please just ask.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Anybody able to help?

The past week I've just used sonos to play music over wifi and not using the line in to my PC. My connection and internet has been fine.

It's 100% something to do with using Sonos wired and line in that is causing the connection drops.
You probably need to provide some more information, The Virgin Media Hub 3 and Netgear R7000 are both routers so what do you need the Netgear for? Is it configured as an Access Point with all routing and DHCP disabled?

What happens if you only plug one of the Sonos zone players into an Ethernet port and have the others connect via Sonosnet instead of WiFi? (Make sure you set Sonosnet and your routers to different non-overlapping WiFi channels) Also be sure no Sonos player is too close to a router or you will have issues with RF interference regardless of connection method.
I have the super hub in the living with and then run an ethernet cable up to the gaming room which goes in to the R7000. I haven't tried using the R7000 as a access point yet so will give that a try.

If I only only wire one of sonos I get audio drop outs on my PC and running them all with wifi I get the same result. How do I change the wireless channels on Sonosnet?

I will try what you have suggested tomorrow and post back the results.
I am having same issue since last update which is very very annoying, if I have more than 1 of my sonos devices plugged in on Ethernet then it will kill my network so badly I can hardly do anything, think sonos need to be aware of this so I will contact support about it, spent ages troubleshooting my network and it led back to my sonos which was working fine with them all plugged in on Ethernet a week ago before update! 😠
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, Coolamasta. I was unable to find a ticket with your Sonos email in our system. If you are still having problems with your network dropping, please let us know by submitting a diagnostic report and replying with the seven-digit confirmation number it gives at the end. Many thanks.
I have a playbar that has been working perfectly well for ages. Purchased 2 Sonos Connect:AMPS yesterday and as soon as soon as I connect via network cabled. Packets start dropping on my network and the whole house (26 IP devices) falls apart. I connect the Connect:AMP via WIFI and all is well. I need this fixed ASAP.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a playbar that has been working perfectly well for ages. Purchased 2 Sonos Connect:AMPS yesterday and as soon as soon as I connect via network cabled. Packets start dropping on my network and the whole house (26 IP devices) falls apart. I connect the Connect:AMP via WIFI and all is well. I need this fixed ASAP.
These symptoms are possibly indicative of Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) problems. What network equipment do you have?

In case it's useful, there's some detail here: https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-and-the-spanning-tree-protocol-16973, and a list of known incompatible equipment here: https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42
Badge
Did you get this issue fixed ?