Question

Sonos iOS App and Wireless Extenders

Does anyone know how to cure a problem with the Sonos iOS app not being able to switch to the base wifi network when moving from coverage of an extender? Seems only to occur on iPhone (OK on MacBook) . The range extenders a TP-Link power line extender with wifi enabled and works fine with everything else. One Sonos unit is directly connected to the base modem and the modem (a BT hub) has smart set up switched off. The problem only occurs going from extender to base network not from base to extender.

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Set the router and extender to the same wireless channel. That should help.
I checked that and it is
Sonos and wireless range extenders don't get along well. Unplug your wireless range extender(s), wait about 10 min, try grouping the speakers and if that works, plug the extenders back in. However, I'd recommend switching over to SonosNet by hooking up one Sonos speaker permanently to the router (unplug the range extenders during the changeover).

Afterwards remove the WiFi credentials as follows:

Sonos app for iOS or Android: From the More menu, tap Settings > Advanced Settings > Wireless Setup. On the Wireless Setup screen, click the button that says "Reset". Then click "Done" on the next screen.
Thanks for your reply

I am using the Sonos net - so one speaker is wired to the router (the actual Sonos system works as it should. I am using the wifi extender to run non Sonos connections including the iPhone on which I am trying to control Sonos with. It is specifically the app on the iPhone. If you watch the app as you walk out of range on the base wifi you can see it hesitate and then click into the extender network and work fine. It is when going back the other way it can't go back (which it can on the App on the Apple MacBook. Sometimes after about 10 - 15 minutes the app does seem to start working again on the base net work.
Doctor9000 wrote:

Thanks for your reply

I am using the Sonos net - so one speaker is wired to the router (the actual Sonos system works as it should. I am using the wifi extender to run non Sonos connections including the iPhone on which I am trying to control Sonos with. It is specifically the app on the iPhone. If you watch the app as you walk out of range on the base wifi you can see it hesitate and then click into the extender network and work fine. It is when going back the other way it can't go back (which it can on the App on the Apple MacBook. Sometimes after about 10 - 15 minutes the app does seem to start working again on the base net work.

Reproduce this behavior, submit a diagnostic and reply here with the confirmation number.
Hi Smilja

This was on the iPhone app playing and then pausing music as I went from base wifi coverage to extender coverage and then back again to point where the app could not find the Sonos system.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings