Question

Sonos has never managed to play music i own

• 26 January 2020
  • 5 replies

So we have two Sonos speakers we can use to play radio, and some spotify and thats it. I have a LARGE collection of CD’s with unique tracks that i have saved on my computer as MP3. Spotify plays them beautiful everywhere EXCEPT on Sonos. Sonos makes them unavailable and this makes Sonos worthless to us. 

If Sonos had an AUX cable input, then at least i could use that, but the sonos app wont play my music. 

Has Sonos fixed this on newer generation speakers? Because we have now “legacy” speakers which are now unsellable and dont have an AUX input, its a ridiculous system that we regret ever buying, and we are preventing our large network from doing so because its worthless.

Anyone knows if the newer models support playing music you own that has not been bought to streaming services? THANKS

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

So, have you set  up a music library in the Sonos controller?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Every Sonos device since the very first one can do this. You just need to set it up. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

I hate that this is going to be my first post, but I’m really disappointed with sonos. I would be even more so if it wasn’t for the fact that this system was free. I got 3 sonos one’s and a beam for free. I really liked their sound quality and I thought having my home be all sonos would be pretty awesome. I have a huge music library that i previously just loaded our iphones that we would just use bluetooth to play the music. I liked the idea having having the whole house being connected and having music play on all speakers from room to room.

I was using an assortment of speakers, from a few a super expensive harmon kardon speaker to a bunch of UE booms scattered around the house.  They worked well, but didn’t have the connectivity that i liked with the sonos.  

Long story short...i plugged in all the sonos and i’ve had it for about a month now.  It’s been nothing but problems. Getting them connected all together was a pain. Sonos app refused to find one of the speakers. After a few reboots it finally connected and updated. My wife started using the system using airplay as she didn’t have the app installed. It was a mess...there was constant skips, and audio drop outs.  She could be 10 ft away from the speaker in the kitchen and the audio would just start skipping. We never had any of these problems using bluetooth She could play a song and go from the basement to the attic and audio wouldn’t drop or skip. It also wouldn’t connect to the beam sometimes.. the speaker would be unavailable. I would have to reboot the phone or the device for it to work, so maybe it’s just ios So i googled it, and it seemed airplay doesn’t play nice and a ton of people on the forums seem to complain about the same thing. So i said, okay, lets stop using airplay and use the sonos app. I added my library, and started playing some songs. It worked great...for a day. Now the app keeps telling me it can’t find my library. My NAS has been up and running for over 2 years and not one device on my network has ever given me an issue. I have a full unifi network, i have multiple AP all over the house with 99% signal strength. I don’t have wireless issues at all...from any of my IOT devices to heavy usage items like xboxes or apple tv’s.  I’m going to hardwire everyone of these speakers now as a last resort, but honestly, if this doesn’t work i’m going to throw them on ebay and sell them. I would be absolutely livid if i had paid the premium price for this system with all these headaches. 

Tou have network issues, probably interference.  Call Sonos Support and they should be able to sort it quickly. 

Every Sonos device since the very first one can do this. You just need to set it up. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257?language=en_US

So many users are finding that this just doesn’t work. I’ve had my two speakers for nearly two years, and am close to giving up. I won’t buy one again, and have had to buy other speakers just to hear music. The Sonos app won’t add my music from any folder, on any type of device - Macbooks, HP desktop, Android devices. 

It’s good to know I’m not alone, but not much help really! It’s time Sonos addressed this problem rather than letting it get buried in community pages.