sonos goes silent after telling me it will play

• 19 September 2021
  • 8 replies

I have a Sonos 1 gen 2.

if I ask it to play a track from Spotify it says it is playing it, but is silent.

if I ask it to play BBC Radio 1 it tells me it is playing then goes silent.

I have to use it as a network speaker controlled from my iPad. This is frustrating.

any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging the speaker from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router.

Tried.

No better.

To be more exact what happens is…

After my command it says (for instace)

‘Playing BBC Radio One………. BBC Sounds’ then silence.

or

‘Mr Brightside by the Killers from Nick’s Spotify’ then silence

Thanks for the suggestion.

Try not using a voice command, but instead the Sonoscontroller. 

It is all fine using the ipad. Everything works.

We’d rather like to have the voice controller working, we only use Alexa for this purpose, nothing else and it is the reason we got the Sonos speakers in the first place.

What streamer are you using to access BBC 1?

Essentially, I’m wondering if you ‘say’ “Play BBC 1 from TuneIn radio” or “Radio.com”, or “MyTuner Radio”, or wherever you’ve chose to set up BBC, instead.

Sonos doesn’t control the Alexa command, it just passes it to the Amazon cloud for interpretation, and the Amazon cloud processes the command, and sends back to the Sonos a series of commands for Sonos to react to. All of the voice interpretation is done by Amazon. It may be failing in ‘knowing’ what streaming source you’ve set up for BBC 1.

Tried that and still get “BBC Sounds” then silence.

It is the same with Spotify.

That is all we use the Sonos and Alexa for. Nothing else.

Alexa tells us the weather and all that, but we don’t want that, just access to Radio and Spotify.

It is as if the Alexa system thinks it is playing, but it is in fact muted.

Userlevel 7

Try removing Alexa in the Sonos app and re-adding it. Also try disabling and re-enabling the Sonos skill in the Alexa app.