Answered

Sonos Generating Huge Network Traffic

• 2 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi there, 

In the past few month, Comcast warned me of that i was reaching my maximum internet quota (1.3T). As we are 5 users all day on Webex/Zoom… I thought it was ok, until my friends who are in similar family setup told me that they used less than half of this traffic. As i logged on my WIFI i found out that Sonos was the generating humongous traffic compared to other devices (x300 vs the 2nd active user).

While we use our Sonos system quite a lot, it seems very weird that it jams my Internet connection like this. 

Any clue ? 

Thanks

Stan

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 2 March 2021, 06:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

How much of that traffic is exiting your local network to the Internet and how much is local traffic between your Sonos devices and controllers?

You might wire one of your Sonos to the LAN and remove them from your WiFi network, that would let you see just the traffic between your Sonos and the Internet. You’d want to close any Sonos controller Apps while counting bytes so you didn’t see their traffic on the wired link.

Thanks, i will try that

Userlevel 7

Hi @Stan-US 

Sonos by itself doesn’t need the internet after initial setup unless you are using a streaming service. Try dis-engaging Spotify to see it that lessens the traffic.