Answered

Sonos Gen 1 causing issues with Gen 2

• 25 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello all,

I’ve had Sonos for a couple of months now and have been very happy.  I started off with three Gen2s and a 5.  Everything worked great.  I recently purchases three Gen 1 SLs and noticed pretty quickly after there have been a lot of issues with speakers cutting in and out for various groups.  Once I unplugged the old speakers the system is back up and running with zero issues.  I did some research online but wanted to see if anyone ran into issues with integrating older speakers with the newer generations?  Appreciate any assistance!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 26 March 2021, 09:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ahernetj 

Thanks for your post. You should have no trouble whatsoever integrating your new SL speakers with your existing speakers.

Typically, problems like this are caused by bandwidth limitations and electromagnetic interference. How does your Sonos system link to your network? Are they all wireless, or do you have a Sonos device wired with ethernet? If one is wired, how close is it to your router? WiFi devices like to have 1m space from others, so please separate the router from any WiFi device that might be near it.

When grouping, please try to put the speaker with the best connection in charge of the group (select it first, and add others to it) - this can make a big difference to group performance.

I hope this helps.

Corry,

Thanks a ton - this was it.  I’ve got a the port hardlined to my router as its close to my home theater receiver.  Once this was unplugged there were zero issues.  Waited some time to see if thats what it was and it indeed is. Ill try to move this port away (as far as I can) from the router and see if that works.  Thank you very much for the assitance!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ahernetj 

Fantastic! Glad to hear it, and thanks for sharing your fix!