Answered

Sonos Five with Line-in issue when streaming issue

• 13 January 2021
  • 6 replies

I recently added a Sonos Five and turntable to my system.  The turntable is plugged into the speaker via Line-in.  When I stream music to the Five (or to a group that it is in), I have to click play multiple times.  At first it looks like it is going to start playing the queue, but then it just stops.  Also if I pause, it loses track of where in the song it paused and I have to start the song over.  It’s a minor grievance, but wondering if anyone else has encountered this and has a solution.

icon

Best answer by John B 14 January 2021, 10:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @paul_p 

Sonos just upgraded the new products like the Five to connect over 5Ghz. Make sure that your Five and controller are in the same Wi-Fi band. 

I recently added a Sonos Five and turntable to my system.  The turntable is plugged into the speaker via Line-in.  When I stream music to the Five (or to a group that it is in), I have to click play multiple times.  At first it looks like it is going to start playing the queue, but then it just stops.  Also if I pause, it loses track of where in the song it paused and I have to start the song over.  It’s a minor grievance, but wondering if anyone else has encountered this and has a solution.

But when you are using a line-in the queue isn’t active.  So I am afraid I don’t understand what you are saying.  Or do you mean you are streaming from a different source?

@John B Right, with line-in it auto-plays from the turntable.  Everything is fine there.  But if I want to just stream music to my Sonos Five, that is where the issue occurs.  I pick a service to stream, in the controller it shows the queue being generated, it shows that it is starts playing on the Sonos Five, but then it just stops.  I then have to manually click play again for the queue to stream to the speaker.  Does that clarify the issue?

Hi @paul_p 

Sonos just upgraded the new products like the Five to connect over 5Ghz. Make sure that your Five and controller are in the same Wi-Fi band. 

I’m using auto band steering on my router so I believe all 5Ghz capable devices are on that band.  I can’t tell from the Sonos app what band a speaker is on.

@John BRight, with line-in it auto-plays from the turntable.  Everything is fine there.  But if I want to just stream music to my Sonos Five, that is where the issue occurs.  I pick a service to stream, in the controller it shows the queue being generated, it shows that it is starts playing on the Sonos Five, but then it just stops.  I then have to manually click play again for the queue to stream to the speaker.  Does that clarify the issue?

Yes thanks that is clear.  Have you established that this doesn’t happen when there is no cable in the line-in?

If it happens only when there is a cable in the line-in, does it happen with and without line-in Autoplay being enabled?

Does it occur whether or not you stop the music from the turntable before streaming from another source?

@John B Thanks for the suggestions.  I gave those a try.  It worked fine when I unplugged the line-in cable.  Then I messed around with autoplay on and off.  For whatever reason, it seems to be working fine now, not sure what resolved it.  Those were all great suggestions though so I appreciate it.