Answered

Sonos Five turn on / off everyday lifetime impact

• 2 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi!

I have 2 Sonos Five in stereo pair connected to a power strip in order to turn on / turn off the speakers.

I’ve read that turning on / turning off ervery day could affect the internal circuits, that it would be better to have the speakers every day connected.

I usually listen music around 2 - 3 hours per day, and the rest of the day are turned off.

Do you think this could affect to the lifetime of the product? Is better to have it turned on?

icon

Best answer by James L. 2 June 2021, 13:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Badge +17

Hey @gemamaj255,

Sonos products are designed to stay powered on and use minimal electricity when not playing music. I couldn’t find any official word on whether it would be damaging to the internal circuitry if you repeatedly power them off and on, but the general recommendation is to leave your Sonos products powered on, even when not in use. If you’re concerned about power draw, we have an article detailing Sonos power consumption while idle that details the expected power draw of each product.

If the speakers are used every day, it is better to leave them on all the time.