Sonos dropping WiFi connection, since Beam added

• 12 January 2020
  • 3 replies

I have three Sonos One’s and a Play 1 on my system and have recently added a Beam connected via HDMI ARC to my LG TV. Strangely I can’t get the microphone to work on the Beam, the light won’t come on even when the button is pressed, This isn’t the main problem though. All of the Sonos units keep losing connection to the wifi. My house is not huge, a 2 bed end terrace, and I have a 38mb/s Wi-fi although typically it’s speed testing at 30mb/s so may need a call to my broadband provider too. I have switched to my previous router and the problems still exist. Sometimes it just reconnects itself automatically but often it will be playing a radio station for example and then it drops the connection, Opening up the Sonos App shows that the system is not found.

Is this likely to be a Wi-fi issue or a problem with Sonos? Any ideas?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I’m guessing this must be a rare case as there has been no comment yet? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Hi, DoogieM3Welcome to the community. This seems to be a WiFi issue first and foremost: Your system is being subjected to rather severe WiFi interference, rendering it inoperable. A slow internet connection can cause choppy music and an inability to initiate playback. If your system suffers audio interruptions and disappears altogether, it sounds like interference. 

If not configured optimally, your router will struggle to maintain a steady connection with your Sonos speakers. Do you use any wireless extenders? Try unplugging them temporarily to see if this helps. Are any of your Sonos products cabled to the router? You may wish to check that the cable is still seated correctly, or replace it altogether.

This will likely take some in-depth troubleshooting and configuration. If at any stage you’d like some more hands-on support, I’d suggest getting in touch with a support agent via telephone.

All that being said, none of the above explains the issue of the microphone being inactive on the Beam. Is it possible that you’ve disabled the hardware buttons on the Beam? If not, then it seems that there is an issue with the Beam itself. Successful operation of this button will not be impacted by the WiFi inteference mentioned earlier. If the Beam has suffered a hardware failure, one of our agents can initiate a return for you. Please let us know how you go. 

Hello 

i Have the same problem. 
the wifi connections drops and i Have to reboot my rooter so the reconnect to wifi.

I don’t understand what Is the problem