Answered

Sonos dropping connection and skipping tracks

• 4 November 2018
  • 14 replies

My Sonos play 1 keeps dropping connection with the WiFi, skipping tracks part way thorough and playing on the phone but no sound coming from the Sonos. Logged a diagnostic, number is 807781540.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 9 November 2018, 17:47

Moderator Note: Please see this thread for an update to streaming music from the storage on iOS devices.

Hi damian4444,

Welcome to the community. It looks like you're playing music directly from your iOS device. We're currently investigating an issue where non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network cause streaming directly from iOS devices to skip and stop when your iOS device goes into auto lock. We'll update this thread when we have more to share, but in the meantime you can get the streaming going again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices on your network, or by disabling auto lock on your iOS device in the iOS settings menu under display and brightness.

Another option is to sync your iOS device's library with iTunes on a computer, then set up a music share. This will allow your Sonos system to play your music when there are non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network, even when your phone goes into auto lock, or leaves the network entirely.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Moderator Note: Please see this thread for an update to streaming music from the storage on iOS devices.

Hi damian4444,

Welcome to the community. It looks like you're playing music directly from your iOS device. We're currently investigating an issue where non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network cause streaming directly from iOS devices to skip and stop when your iOS device goes into auto lock. We'll update this thread when we have more to share, but in the meantime you can get the streaming going again by disabling AirPlay on any non-Sonos devices on your network, or by disabling auto lock on your iOS device in the iOS settings menu under display and brightness.

Another option is to sync your iOS device's library with iTunes on a computer, then set up a music share. This will allow your Sonos system to play your music when there are non-Sonos AirPlay devices on your network, even when your phone goes into auto lock, or leaves the network entirely.
Dropping connections is a real issue. Very frustrating and I'm considering getting a set of bluetooth speakers to use when I have guests or want uninterrupted music. I hope a fix comes soon!
Same here!
Badge
I sometimes have the same issue while streaming Napster. But maybe more related to momentary connection drops to Napster. Or not. Was never sure. Anyone else have this issue that is probably not related to the above.
Ditto! Amp drops WiFi and even when it does play it stops halfway thru a track. V frustrating. Considering the same option of acquiring Bluetooth speakers and dumping the Sonos amp on eBay
I think my connection issues with AirPlay 2 has been solved with this thread identifying iPhone's Autolock as a possible culprit. I have turned AutoLock off from Settings> Display and Brightness on my Phone. I am excited. That might have been it! Thanks.
Badge

Any news on this 4 months old investigation?
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes.

If you use other apps that use the iOS device audio, such as making a phone call, YouTube, social media apps, or use Bluetooth headphones while playing from “This iPhone or iPad,” you may experience audio interruptions on Sonos until you completely close or quit those apps. Until this issue is resolved, we also recommend disabling Bluetooth for the best experience.

Playing music from an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
Badge

Yes.

If you use other apps that use the iOS device audio, such as making a phone call, YouTube, social media apps, or use Bluetooth headphones while playing from “This iPhone or iPad,” you may experience audio interruptions on Sonos until you completely close or quit those apps. Until this issue is resolved, we also recommend disabling Bluetooth for the best experience.

Playing music from an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch
but this is silly, my car and other devices have no problems with playing from the phone. We play when we prepare for bed. The we dont use ANY other media in the house. Even if i close ALL my apps except Sonos, the music will stop after 1,5 song.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

but this is silly, my car and other devices have no problems with playing from the phone.

Those aren't using WiFi.
They interact and respond differently.

We play when we prepare for bed. The we dont use ANY other media in the house. Even if i close ALL my apps except Sonos, the music will stop after 1,5 song.

Have you actually tested that?
Have you contacted support so they can review a diagnostic after this happened?
Badge
Have you actually tested that?
Have you contacted support so they can review a diagnostic after this happened?[/quote]

Yes i have tested that. And no dodn’t report cause i read that 4 months ago they were going to examine it, we just played the radio station as a last resolve. Unfortunately i am now in an check for update loop on my iphone and windows10 pc, so now i cant test anything anymore.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Yes i have tested that. And no dodn’t report cause i read that 4 months ago they were going to examine it, we just played the radio station as a last resolve. Unfortunately i am now in an check for update loop on my iphone and windows10 pc, so now i cant test anything anymore.

Why don't you contact support? Seems like you need some assistance here.
Badge
I was hoping the sonos guys were on the forum too
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Why don't you contact support? Seems like you need some assistance here.

Good suggestion to help take a look at what's going on and confirm some things, even to go through some options and possibilities.

With tracks playing from iOS devices, basically, the Sonos app loses priority now when the phone goes to sleep, which causes the audio to cut out after the players can't reach it anymore. The best thing to do is to have the music library stored on another device, like a NAS drive so that it's available when the phone isn't even around.