sonos doesn't show my complete itunes library.

• 23 November 2012
  • 58 replies

I have for example artists named Blue Knights. In my itunes library I show three albums for a total of 21 songs. When I bring up the sonos app on my macbook pro, and load music library, it only show one of these albums that has five songs. I've gone to manage settings, and updated music library now about five times .... still same results. I've gone to music library settings, removed the library, and added it again .. three times ... still same results. I checked the rest of the artists that are listed in Sonos, and it seems to be missing about 12 other artists and songs of those artists that I have in my itunes library. Considering giving up on Sonos and returning play5 and bridge to retailer. Anyone interesting in buying this system from me. Previously I asked a question of why when I shut off my macbook pro the music still plays, and never received a response from sonos. This type of support and product doesn't seem to be worth the monies.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

58 replies

Okay!!!! I figured out what the problem is! This should help everyone with the same issues. First of all, I use Carbonite to back up my files. Not an endorsement, just letting you all know how I found out what was wrong. When Carbonite backs up a file, there is a little GREEN dot that shows up beside the file name. When it hasn't backed it up yet, there is a little YELLOW dot that shows up. When I opened the file folder with my new album in it, all the dots were green except the two songs that weren't showing up in Sonos. I looked a little closer and those two files had a .m4p extension on them, and the ones that were green and WERE showing up in Sonos had a .m4a extension. The p in the extension means (for what reason I have NO idea) that the file is PROTECTED. Sonos won't play a protected file and Carbonite won't back up a protected file. I simply changed the p to an a in the extension and everything works great!!!

This one solved it for me. The tracks that would not play were protected. Changing the file extension from .m4p to .m4a did the trick!
I can't believe this problem is 3 years old and still not solved. My brand new sonos system fails to see 2 of the 4 albums on my iPhone. Perhaps sonos needs to use the same method Apple and everyone else uses to find music on the iPhone, because whatever method they are using at the moment is hopeless. How do I change the file name on a track when it is on my iPhone? it is not as though I can edit it. The whole point of the system is that I can download a song from iTunes store straight to my phone and play it immediately on sonos without having to get out my DOS handbook.
I'm on a Mac. If you go with the default setup, you are telling the the software that all your music is in the Music folder in your home directory. In my case this is false, some of it is in /Users/Shared/iTunes so to tell the software go to Manage->Music Library Settings in Sonos and use the + sign to add /Users/Shared/iTunes to the list of folders. This solved the problem for me.

So the procedure to fix this is to find the song in iTunes that is not in your Sonos library, click right and select Get Info, then File. Look at the Location Info. If that location is not in your folders list in Sonos Manage->Music Library Settings add it as described above.
When I try to access all the tracks on my iPhone through sonos it only shows songs with a number at the beginning of the title or anything that begins with a 'W'. Wtf sonos. Poor form.
Had the same problem due to many songs being protected.  Followed this helpful website an all my songs are now in Sonos.
http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-remove-drm-from-your-music-with-itunes-match--mac-592...
[quote=M]Had the same problem due to many songs being protected.  Followed this helpful website an all my songs are now in Sonos.
http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-remove-drm-from-your-music-with-itunes-match--mac-592...

This doesn't help me, Sonos is picking and choosing different artists and even different albums by the same artist, even where all tracks are listed as the same "kind." Very frustrating!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Add me to this issue.

I've finally gotten around to ripping my wife's mountain of CD's this month. I have my desktop Mac as the iTunes library manager. The library lives on a NAS. I'm ripping everything in Apple Lossless.

This is working well for the most part, except I'm randomly having the issue everyone is describing here. Some albums simply don't show up in Sonos. Rip 4 albums by one artist in the same day, and all I've got is one of his albums in Sonos. This is kind of embarrassing too, when the composer is visiting, and he & my wife the musicologist wish to listen to some of his tracks, and I confidently announce they are in Sonos now. Except they are not, and my wife makes the "SONOS!" face. That's what first brought this problem to my attention. :(

I've studied the problems albums and cannot figure out for the life of me how they are any different than the rest.

This is not a new setup, and has been working fine in the past. Well, I think it has...now I wonder what in our thousands of tracks has gone missing. I'd be more tolerant of an occasional bug if I didn't have thousands invested in our Sonos system, which is supposedly the Rolls Royce of this technology.

Sonos, what should I tell my wife this time?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I will try to address all your questions with one response, as it seems there is some confusion here.
If you purchase songs using your iPhone, it is possible that there are not downloaded immediately. They may be stored in the cloud, where SONOS can do very little with them. To use, for example, the option "On This iPhone" suggests exactly that, you can play songs that are On the iPhone. If they are on the cloud, you need to get them downloaded. This is done in the native music App., where you can make them available offline. Next, in order for SONOS to see the tracks you want it to display, it needs to know where they are. If you have several sources by which you acquire your music, let's say, imported from CD's and downloaded, you need to add both files to SONOS under your Manage Music Library option. Additionally, if your tracks are displaying incorrectly, this suggests an issue with the metadata for those tracks. Lastly, if certain CD's are not appearing whereas others are, even though they are both imported in an identical fashion, this indicates that some of your Albums may have Digital Rights Management associated with them. Please get back to me if you have any questions regarding the above.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would like to chime in here and describe my problem. With itunes I've digitized all of my CDs onto my Synology NAS.
All my CDs are now stored on 4 main folders on my NAS, these are the folders' names: Celtic, Classical, Indian, Rock&Pop etc. Within these folders there are subfolders, and again subfolders etc and finally reaching the CD. As an example:
Classical->Bach->Karel Brazda_Philharmonia Slavonica->Bach-Brandenburg Concertos Disc one
I can access all of the CDs with my android phone sonos app. Works perfectly. Not so perfectly with the Sonos desktop tool for windows. On that sonos app (computer) I will first click on /NAS//music within the sonos computer app. After doing that I will see the four main folders mentioned above. So far so good. Now here's the weird thing. When I click on folder Celtic, I get: unable to browse music. (so, I will not see one single subfolder here.)
When I click on Classical I get all of the first classical subfolders. Now, when I click on those subfolders, some will lead to: unable to browse music, others can go on to the next subfolder. This goes on this way and in the end some few CDs can be played, but the majority will not be played.

I saved every single CD the identical way, with itunes, highest quality mp3 compression.

So, what to do, some CDs work, others do not. But ALL CDs work when I access them using the sonos app on my phone.

How can it be that the app for the computer is all screwed up, but the app for the phone works totally smoothly? AND: How do I make the computer app work?

Thanks for any and every help.

Amar
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
How can it be that the app for the computer is all screwed up, but the app for the phone works totally smoothly? AND: How do I make the computer app work?

Hey Amar,

All of the controllers connect directly with the players themselves for access to the music index and browse the library. So the computer is connecting back to your player and that players tries to access the computer through the network. I know it sounds a bit funny but stick with me here. The problem, most likely, is that somewhere there you're running into latency which is causing the data to not transmit over fast enough. Perhaps the computer doesn't have as good a connection to the network as your phone, unlikely but possible. It's also possible that the player your computer is connecting to has a worse connection than the player that your phone connects with. In either case, I'd love to take a look at a diagnostic to start with.

Can you follow the directions here to submit a diagnostic from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number? Please do so after you get some unable to browse troubles, and make sure you use your phone within a minute or two prior to sending the diagnostic from the computer.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks very much for your answer, and I will follow your advice. One question though before that. A friend a mine believes the trouble I've run in to is due to the fact that I manually added those four folders (classical, celtic, indian, rock and pop), he thinks those are redundant, because itunes itself already does that, when reading and copying the CDs. Do you think that could be the culprit? thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks very much for your answer, and I will follow your advice. One question though before that. A friend a mine believes the trouble I've run in to is due to the fact that I manually added those four folders (classical, celtic, indian, rock and pop), he thinks those are redundant, because itunes itself already does that, when reading and copying the CDs. Do you think that could be the culprit? thanks.

Should be unrelated. Sonos will read the file locations and will read the genre data. It won't get confused by the two. A diagnostic will tell us a bit more on what's happening though.
Userlevel 2
Badge
So here is my number: 5483609
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks. First thing that stands out is that your Sonos wireless and home wireless are on the same channels, this could cause all sorts of trouble so I'd recommend starting with changing the wireless channel on your Sonos to either 1 or 11.

Next, there are a lot of access errors coming up off of that NAS drive. Does your NAS go to sleep after a certain amount of time? If it's powered off or in a standby mode your players won't be able to contact it and you could get those browse errors. It looks like you only have the one music share setup to Sonos, and under that share should be the other folders, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. I'd recommend Updating the Music Index from your computer once you've changed the channel. Then go ahead and browse the shares. Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 2
Badge
answers in-line

Thanks. First thing that stands out is that your Sonos wireless and home wireless are on the same channels, this could cause all sorts of trouble so I'd recommend starting with changing the wireless channel on your Sonos to either 1 or 11.

DONE.

Next, there are a lot of access errors coming up off of that NAS drive. Does your NAS go to sleep after a certain amount of time?
no, I don't believe it does, I have a Synology 214play.

If it's powered off or in a standby mode your players won't be able to contact it and you could get those browse errors.
I don't think it goes into standby, my phone can always access Sonos.

It looks like you only have the one music share setup to Sonos, and under that share should be the other folders, so that shouldn't be an issue at all. I'd recommend Updating the Music Index from your computer once you've changed the channel. Then go ahead and browse the shares. Let us know how it goes.

I updated the music index.

Will write in a moment (will restart pc) and tell you if it worked.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Unfortunately nothing at all has changed. In case needed, here is the next confirmation number of a new diagnostics. 5487282

(I also tried changing to channel 11 (after changing to 1), no difference)
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Unfortunately nothing at all has changed. In case needed, here is the next confirmation number of a new diagnostics. 5487282

Thanks, it'd be best to give us a call on our support line and work with a technician live. You can give them that diagnostic number and they'll be able to pick up here where we left off. Let us know how it goes.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks, I live in Switzerland, so perhaps I'll try that here.
I have found this thread really interesting. I hoped it would solve my problem but it has not. My Sonos system would not play lots of my songs in my playlists. I have tried to fiddle about, trying some of the suggestions but nothing has worked. Rather than waste over £300 sterling I have returned the speakers to the store and am now in search of a different wireless system which will play all of my iTunes music seamlessly. Any advice welcome.
I have found this thread really interesting. I hoped it would solve my problem but it has not. My Sonos system would not play lots of my songs in my playlists. I have tried to fiddle about, trying some of the suggestions but nothing has worked. Rather than waste over £300 sterling I have returned the speakers to the store and am now in search of a different wireless system which will play all of my iTunes music seamlessly. Any advice welcome.

You're hardly likely to get advice on Sonos' competition in their own forum.
Of course you are right, but I was hoping maybe that Sonos would get the message that they are losing customers because of this issue and maybe they might come up with a solution that would bring me and others back to them.
Of course you are right, but I was hoping maybe that Sonos would get the message that they are losing customers because of this issue and maybe they might come up with a solution that would bring me and others back to them.

So you really didn't want to know about the competition, your post was simply a childish attempt to manipulate Sonos? Good to know.

As to your problem, 99.9% of the "Sonos doesn't play my iTunes library" problems are due to protected files, either protected by Apple DRM, or protected by file/folder permissions. I'm quite sure if you contact Sonos through a diagnostic from your now "returned to the store" Sonos units, they could fix the problem in minutes. More than likely, you have some DRM protected files that need to be converted to non-DRM via iTunes Match.

But hey, if you think dishonest and manipulative posts are more effective, then post away!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have a recommendation for a most excellent wireless music system. Can you guess what it is?

As jgatie says it is very likely your "issue" is resolvable very easily.

There aren't any systems, in my opinion, in the market place right now that are as good as Sonos.
I have had these issues over the last three or four years on and off, and each time the solution has been different and usually irritatingly complex (I bought a sound system, not a DIY computer project, FFS).
Now try this one: I recorded some music of my own, added the .wav files to itunes and updated the Sonos music library - no problems, although occasionally if I try to get multiple versions into the Sonos index it just ignores them (e.g. 'Brilliant guitar solo v1/v2/v6 all get picked up but v4 and v5 just get ignored completely). Over time I've ignored this, but I've just had the same problem over the last couple of days, and this time I'm hacked off.

One recording I particularly want to hear over the system just will not copy into Sonos (tags are fine, no DRM, etc etc) So I've copied a dozen recordings files (.mp4 and .wav) including this one into a new directory outside my music folder and then updated the music library settings to include this folder. Not one of the files is showing in the Sonos index after multiple updates. No DRM issues here; no tagging issues. Why doesn't the system just work as advertised? Oh, and why do Sonos ignore customer feedback (on this, on playlists, on everything)?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have had these issues over the last three or four years on and off, and each time the solution has been different and usually irritatingly complex (I bought a sound system, not a DIY computer project, FFS).
Now try this one: I recorded some music of my own, added the .wav files to itunes and updated the Sonos music library - no problems, although occasionally if I try to get multiple versions into the Sonos index it just ignores them (e.g. 'Brilliant guitar solo v1/v2/v6 all get picked up but v4 and v5 just get ignored completely). Over time I've ignored this, but I've just had the same problem over the last couple of days, and this time I'm hacked off.

One recording I particularly want to hear over the system just will not copy into Sonos (tags are fine, no DRM, etc etc) So I've copied a dozen recordings files (.mp4 and .wav) including this one into a new directory outside my music folder and then updated the music library settings to include this folder. Not one of the files is showing in the Sonos index after multiple updates. No DRM issues here; no tagging issues. Why doesn't the system just work as advertised? Oh, and why do Sonos ignore customer feedback (on this, on playlists, on everything)?

Presumably there is some issue with the format of the file. Please check here:-

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/80

Also. Presumably you aren't above the 65,000 limit?

Worth just checking if you are using a NAS sometimes deleted files go into a HIDDEN deleted folder in the folder - get rid of those if it does.