Sonos does not work - keeps cutting out

Userlevel 2
We have a sonos 1 and two sonos 5 currently. we have set them up EXACTLY as per the instructions. We have exceptionally high internet speed. We have connected our spotify.

Despite updating the sonos (about twice a week as the sonos tech nerds seem to screw it up every time).

It NEVER works. it will play for 3 or 4 minutes then immediately cut out. Or one of the speakers decides not to play. Or the phone or iPad being used as a controller tells us that the music is playing but it is not.

Sonos is proving to be one of the worst products purchased, its adverts suggest interruption free music, whereas in reality it cuts out constantly. Absolutely unacceptable.

Any help would be appreciated considering the ludicrous amounts charged.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

106 replies

I highly doubt it's a dup IP issue - you shouldn't have to static IP everything. DHCP is pretty good about not handing out dup leases. The issue just cropped up for me too (and I've confirmed its not a dup IP issue). However, I just signed up for Amazon Prime and thought it was with that. Pandora streams fine. It did just prompt me to do all these updates, so not sure if it's the updates or the Amazon Prime. Seems like others are having problems with other apps. I'm not all that interested in sending in a diagnostic report only to be told it's wifi interference (as that seems to be the canned response).
Userlevel 1
Same as the others. This system is BAD! I continue to buy pieces and follow your useless suggestions, and my system gets WORSE. It used to be easy to get to a helpful person, now it's almost impossible. The 1st line people are rude and uninformed. I can google a topic faster than they can. When I need help, you're closed. My wifi is GREAT. I don't have a single problem with any wired or wifi device in my home, and I'm a heavy user. Yet, sonos can't play 5 seconds of a song without cutting out. It's embarrassing, Now you are forcing these updates on us more and more often with stupid, useless features when you should be fixing what's broken. And, take away the stupid messages that pop up every time you add a song to your queue for example...we added it...we know...we don't need a message to pop up every time and tell us what we just did. And, it's the same thing with clearing a song or queue. Its not an atomic missile launch code, it's a SONG. Quit changing mobile app devices around AND STABILIZE THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I've seen 2 to 3 feet recommended, I put mine 4 feet apart so I'd only be moving them once.
This is rediculous that there are so many people having this issue with so many different set ups, yet no one can simply post a solution. My system just started cutting out after over a year of working fine. My play 5 setup via line in Bluetooth would cut out, but I figured it was a Bluetooth problem, now my Playbar, Play Base, 2) Play 3, 2) Play 1 setup is cutting out with an optical cable no matter what source it's plugged into. So I tested the Bluetooth on another source for a while with no problems. Now I've spent thousands of dollars on 9 speakers that don't work properly for no other reason than someone can't write code for shit. So Sonos does nothing on this board but try to get everyone to submit a private ticket and not solve their problem in private. What a waste of money!!!
I highly doubt it's a dup IP issue - you shouldn't have to static IP everything. DHCP is pretty good about not handing out dup leases. The issue just cropped up for me too (and I've confirmed its not a dup IP issue). However, I just signed up for Amazon Prime and thought it was with that. Pandora streams fine. It did just prompt me to do all these updates, so not sure if it's the updates or the Amazon Prime. Seems like others are having problems with other apps. I'm not all that interested in sending in a diagnostic report only to be told it's wifi interference (as that seems to be the canned response).

Actually, in consumer grade routers, it is virtually impossible for them not to hand out duplicate addresses after a router reboot or power outage. Without reserve IP addresses being configured , there is nothing to preserve the assignment table through an outage, and any IP assigned after that is a potential duplicate. This normally doesn't show up because lease renewals are spaced out over days, and email, browsing, Facebook, etc. are sporadic processes that will not necessarily be affected by a duplicate IP, at least not in ways that are immediately noticeable. However, a Sonos update reboots all Sonos devices, and each rebooted device requires a new IP assignment. Also, network streamers require a constant connection, and any duplicate IP is going to affect the system in very noticeable ways.
If you are rebooting your sonos devices, your router (as simple as it may be) will keep track of what leases it has out and to what mac address they have been assigned. When those mac addresses return to the network, the router will reconcile those devices requesting new IPs to what it has already leased out. If you happen to reboot your router, the client devices should hang onto the addresses they have for their set lease time - they should not be communicating with the DHCP server until their lease is up. so they shouldn't be requesting new IPs if a router is reboot (unless the lease expires while the router is down). I have never encountered a router (consumer or business grade) that doesn't use some type of address conflict checking before leasing an IP - even if it's a simple ping. Now that being said, if you are bringing on new devices while your sonos devices are down, one might think there is a possibility for conflict, but like I said, if the router is not reboot, the table should have IP/MAC address pairings. I know that some routers you can disable the address conflict checking, but not sure why you would want to do that. In the 25 years that I've run consumer grade routers at my house, I've never once had an IP address conflict, and I have on average about 20-30 devices online, of various types. Not to mention the professional grade dhcp servers that I've run over the same time period. I think IP address duplication is most often caused by a combination of static IPs and DHCP on the network, so suggesting static IPs will probably only confuse the user base more than help it. Just my 2 cents.
At that point I would say that it's a problem with how Sonos does DHCP then.

No. As I said, routers do not preserve the assignment table through a power loss, and after the power loss they issue IP addresses that were previously assigned and thus are still in use.

Note, this does not affect all users after every update. Only those who are prone to power failures, have routers that crash a lot, or are constantly repowering their router. A couple dozen or so every update, and without fail, a network refresh to flush out duplicates, followed by reserving IP addresses in the router setup cures the problem. Airgetlam was giving good, solid, effective advice that has been proven to work for the past 12 years. Disagree with that advice if you wish, but please know it is based on facts, not to mention historical success.
Well for one, "I" am not Sonos, nor do I speak on their behalf. I am merely a user who tries to help others. So these suggestions are not Sonos' "blanket fix", nor is Sonos "applying" them to anything.

For future reference, Sonos representatives are clearly labeled as such.
Thank you for clarification - when you said you've been helping customers for 12 years, I assumed you were Sonos.

Only 9 years for me. The advice goes back 12 years though. Some refuse to believe it will work and need to be pulled along kicking and scratching, and others abandon a fine product rather than try a simple procedure. But I still have yet to find one person who actually does the network refresh and IP reservation properly who isn't better off for it.
Sonos cutting out. Infuriating. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. Diagnostic code 8139047
my Sonos Amp Connect was working fine until a few days ago and now it cuts out periodically and the pops on again to go off again. It is hard wired into a 1GB Router/Switch via Cat 6 cable - Diagnostic code is 8157182
I have been experiencing the same issues, which seem to have progressively worsened since the last 1-2 upgrades. The system was rock solid up to that point. 13 devices, cutting out randomly, controllers stop responding, downloaded music skips and throws a variety of errors. Streaming (Pandora/Spotify) works generally fine. The only change to our overall ecosystem, was adding an Alexa enabled Sonos One a month ago, at which point we also did an upgrade.

In addition to all the standard router reboots and troubleshooting, we also replaced our older AP with a beefier unit, which made no impact. Spouse is a network engineer, up to now I've appealed to him to "just make the #&@'ing @3%! work", so haven't opened a diagnostic yet. Seeing this is a pervasive complaint, I will do so now.
Unreliability of my Sonos players is much worse as of late (last quarter of 2017). I go to relax through my music and instead wind up frustrated listening to payers cut in and out. I used to recommend Sonos system to friends and family. As issues with my system increase and reliability erodes as well as unmet promises to repair Audible functionality I'm busy evaluating new streaming multi-room audio options (there are many) and steering those I care about away from the pain and frustration of an expensive system that performs below expectation. Diagnostics 8223094
You guys must be paid shills. The system was solid for 6-8 months until the update - now it sucks. Unplug them all, then plug them back in one at a time? Tried it. Even took them off DHCP and gave them fixed IP addresses. Still dropping out. Alarms don't work. Grouping falls apart.

When nothing changes but a SONOS UPDATE and the system goes from good to suck - you can bet it was the update.

And explain to me how a lousy interface is the fault of a rock solid wifi? How about alarm group settings that won't stay on? Does wifi affect that? Is the wifi affecting my timer settings?
Sonos, Please rectify. I was going to buy a couple more of your units until recently. Worked great since I bought it. Just recently within the last two weeks. Updated Apps both on my wifes phone and my phone and not able to connect. Then cannot reset the unit without direct connection to internet. What a drag. Might go to Blue Tooth Units. Very frustrating.
You guys must be paid shills. The system was solid for 6-8 months until the update - now it sucks. Unplug them all, then plug them back in one at a time? Tried it. Even took them off DHCP and gave them fixed IP addresses. Still dropping out. Alarms don't work. Grouping falls apart.

When nothing changes but a SONOS UPDATE and the system goes from good to suck - you can bet it was the update.

And explain to me how a lousy interface is the fault of a rock solid wifi? How about alarm group settings that won't stay on? Does wifi affect that? Is the wifi affecting my timer settings?

To the bold? No you didn't. There is no way to take Sonos off DHCP and give it a fixed IP.

As to the rest? If I'm a paid shill, I'm getting paid way too little. 😉
Oh, my mistake. I didn't realize you were marketing speakers only intended for computer experts. I'm merely a music lover who thought the convenience of wireless speakers would enhance my listening pleasure. However, you might want to reconsider advertising Sonos' ease of set up. That confuses those of us who don't spend all day working on routers and such.
[b]There is no way to take Sonos off DHCP and give it a fixed IP.[b]
First - before peddling assumptions as proof, there are simple things like packet captures that one can run on their network to determine if duplicate IP addresses are being assigned, if firewalls are blocking specific traffic, or if some other network conflict exists. Access points can display radio interference information to help you pick the best channels. Quality of service can be manipulated to give your Sonos traffic priority over other traffic on your network, etc. Some of these may help, some may not. I see a lot of low quality information being spouted here as causation and solutions, especially bolder statements by @jgatie as gospel. In response to @jgatie’s presumptuous and incorrect statement about assigning static IP addresses to Sonos speakers, I in fact have static IP assignments to all of my Sonos speakers by MAC address reservation via my DHCP server. Yes, you can use DHCP to reserve static IP addresses to anything on your network. With all that said, it has had no positive impact on my sound dropouts.

I have no dropped packets, no IP conflicts, no firewall conflicts, no rules blocking specific applications - essentially no network cause I can yet attribute my Sonos woes to. I was contemplating buying more speakers just this week, too - not until Sonos fixes this problem.

I had a good first few weeks with my Sonos Play:3 stereo pair and Play:1 until about a week ago when music started fading in and out from all sources - Amazon Music Unlimited, Spotify, iTunes and randomly on different speakers like someone was playing with the balance knob. I even connected one of my Play:3’s to my gigabit switch to form a SonosNet with no improvement.

I don’t have answers yet and am still looking. My search may prove there is nothing I can do and this is indeed some software issue. It is however frustating and a waste of time attempting some other commenters’ advice. If you have a hypothesis, please test it and share your proven solution. If things don’t help, saying that also helps. Please stop posting junk answers, though.
Badge
Today (25th of January) I downloaded and installed the new Sonos update.
Everything seems to work perfect again. I haven't had any cutting outs; let's keep it like that! I listened to music for 2 hrs straight without experiencing any cutting outs of my 2xplay:3. After that I watched a movie and didn't had any cutting outs either! Felt good.

I haven't changed anything in my wifi- or router-settings or whatsoever. Just installed the Sonos update, that's all.
At the moment I have version 8.3

Glad it works again! No more frustrations. How I look at it right now: I am not gonna install any new updates 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
HI Beers, I took a look at your diagnostic and there's a lot of 5GHz noise around your PLAYBAR causing some connection troubles with the PLAY:3s. It's not likely that an update can fix it, but that we'll need to do a little wireless troubleshooting there. I'd suggest that you give us a call on our support line.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We have a sonos 1 and two sonos 5 currently. we have set them up EXACTLY as per the instructions. We have exceptionally high internet speed. We have connected our spotify.

Despite updating the sonos (about twice a week as the sonos tech nerds seem to screw it up every time).

It NEVER works. it will play for 3 or 4 minutes then immediately cut out. Or one of the speakers decides not to play. Or the phone or iPad being used as a controller tells us that the music is playing but it is not.

Sonos is proving to be one of the worst products purchased, its adverts suggest interruption free music, whereas in reality it cuts out constantly. Absolutely unacceptable.

Any help would be appreciated considering the ludicrous amounts charged.

I have same problem and my system is hard wired.......

I'd be very keen to see a diagnostic of your system. Please respond with the confirmation number so that I may identify the cause for you. Many thanks in advance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Bridge, the usual suspect is the power supply on that device, can you try a different supply?
@Stanley_4: Swapped power supply with the Hue hub (also 5V 2A). The Sonos wart is tiny in comparison! 30 minutes playtime w/o a hiccup so far! Fingers crossed, will try battle conditions tonight. Thx for the tip.
Badge
Opinion:
So I am back, to add some more information about my system that unfortunately stíll keeps dropping out. Maybe it is useful to the tech-people from Sonos. To start off: I am a patient person, but this is getting really annoying. In my opinion it is a big flaw in the design. It is incredible that so many people are experiencing this problem about the dropping outs...and just tell them: yeah, there is a lot of 5GHz traffic in the area near your Sonos device. Duh, it is the year 2018 we are living in. Fix it!

Facts:
- Experiencing dropping out of my 2xplay:3 and sub frequently (every 5 minutes for 10-15 sec). My playbar keeps on playing.
- Did a factory reset again yesterday of the whole Sonos system and restarted my router. Problem didn't occur anymore for around 6 hours straight (listen to music and watched tv non-stop)
- Today I turned on the music again and the problem occured again: 2xplay:3 and sub keeps dropping out every 5 min for 10-15 sec.
- I live in an apartment: I have had contact with Sonos support (frequently for the last couple of months): they advice me to talk to my neighbors and I should ask them to turn off their 5Ghz channel (...seriously, are you kidding me?!)

Questions and Findings:
- When I updated the Sonos system to version 8.3 (25th of January) it went well for 5 days straight. Encountered no dropping outs. How come?
- I reseted the whole system (playbar, sub, and 2xplay:3) and also didn't experience drop outs for 6 hours straight. How come?
- I have had contact with Sonos support the end of February and we went through some troubleshooting. Nothing in particular actually (I didn't change anything about my home situation: I kept all the devices in the surrounding area of my playbar online and working, like a camera, switching device for lamps, router, mediabox, etc.). The most important thing in my opinion is that we turned off the 'wireless connection'-option of the Sonos device. Anyway, it was working perfect from that moment on for a whole month! No drop outs whatsoever (for a whole month!). The problem was back again the end of March. How come?

So why is it the case that all of the sudden the problem occurs again? I have been told it might be because an update of some device in the area, or my neighbors have had an update. But come on, this is a little far fetched in my opinion.

Other:
In the mean time I spoke to 3 other families/persons that experience the same problem. Two of them have a big detached house (no other house in at least 20-25 m radius) and experience dropping outs. The other person lives in a house with neighbors directly attached to his house and he doesn't experience any problem at all. Ofcourse this depends on the situation per house, but maybe it is useful.

Most of this is just information, I hope it can be put to good use by the tech-people from Sonos.
Just...get it fixed! It is unbelievable. I have barely any words for it to describe how 'childish' this Sonos system actually is, while it is incredible expensive! Actually what it comes down to is that you can only enjoy Sonos when no other living person (like a neighbor) has turned on their 5GHz channel and no other devices in the surrounding area are turned on. Just great...

Thinking outside of the box(?):
I have also been told 2.4GHz is more stable than 5Ghz. I don't know whether this is true, because I am no expert. I am just trying to think along with the tech people and provide a solution to this problem. Is it able for the playbar to connect with the other devices on 2.4Ghz?
Is there something wrong with the playbar? Because this device actually needs to connect to the other devices as far as I know.

Diagnostic:
Oh, and for what it's worth:

Text has become longer than expected. Hopefully something useful can be extracted from it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I tried 4 feet apart and it didn't seem to have any effect (i.e., still cutting out about 1x/minute).
Mind submitting another diagnostic report so I can compare the results? Thanks!