Sonos does not work - keeps cutting out

We have a sonos 1 and two sonos 5 currently. we have set them up EXACTLY as per the instructions. We have exceptionally high internet speed. We have connected our spotify.

Despite updating the sonos (about twice a week as the sonos tech nerds seem to screw it up every time).

It NEVER works. it will play for 3 or 4 minutes then immediately cut out. Or one of the speakers decides not to play. Or the phone or iPad being used as a controller tells us that the music is playing but it is not.

Sonos is proving to be one of the worst products purchased, its adverts suggest interruption free music, whereas in reality it cuts out constantly. Absolutely unacceptable.

Any help would be appreciated considering the ludicrous amounts charged.

101 replies

The diagnostic code is 7128766
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
aedcharmer wrote:

The diagnostic code is 7128766

Hi aedcharmer,

There's a high level of wireless interference showing up which is causing communication errors between your Sonos units. Please try changing the wireless channel your system is using. It may also help to look around your Sonos units for third party wireless device which could cause interference. Try moving any such device away from your speakers and test things out.
Userlevel 1
I agree-- I have invested so much in my system and it is a pleasure when it works but so frustrating to have music-less weekends when it doesn't work. Seems to cut out randomly and then come back on the later or the next day.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Hi rusuja, welcome to the community. Please send us a diagnostic as well, and reply here with the number. We'll take a look and see if there's anything to improve there.
I am having the same issue In both of my home's. They are different routers and different service providers and its continuing to happen. Any help Would-be greatly appreciated
I am getting same problem. Sonos tech guys cant help & keep saying it is iphone issue when it isnt. Tried 2 different iphones & ipad & music keeps cutting out. Never used to be this bad & had system nearly 3 years. Diagnostic ref is 7713241. Ive changed internet chanel, used system wired & not wired & getting same bad issue. Checked Ping to iphone which never drops out. This is a Sonos issue & not Apple issue which they keep blaming it on. Please URGENTLY fix this issue Sonos before i sell system & buy Bose system!

Thanks
It's definitively not an iphone issue because i just switched to the Samsung 8. I also agree that it has gotten worse over the past year. There must be a bug in the firmware
Same problems. Diagnostic confirmation number is: 7746863.
I have the same problem - my diagnostic number is 7749778 - please help!
This is rediculous that there are so many people having this issue with so many different set ups, yet no one can simply post a solution. My system just started cutting out after over a year of working fine. My play 5 setup via line in Bluetooth would cut out, but I figured it was a Bluetooth problem, now my Playbar, Play Base, 2) Play 3, 2) Play 1 setup is cutting out with an optical cable no matter what source it's plugged into. So I tested the Bluetooth on another source for a while with no problems. Now I've spent thousands of dollars on 9 speakers that don't work properly for no other reason than someone can't write code for shit. So Sonos does nothing on this board but try to get everyone to submit a private ticket and not solve their problem in private. What a waste of money!!!
I am having this problem as well. It only started recently after the Sonos controller said I had to upgrade firmware in all of my Sonos devices. Sounds to me that firmware update was the problem, although it could be coincidental. When is Sonos going to fix this?
There's a high chance that it's not an issue for Sonos to fix. Updating software can expose issues with your router, and you end up having duplicate IPs assigned to your speakers. As they fluctuate with whatever device, they cut out, sometimes skip in the middle of songs, or repeat songs.

The best fix is to assign static IP addresses to your Sonos speakers, but there's a slightly easier and quicker fix. Unplug all of your Sonos devices from power. The power cycle your router, and wait for the device to finish booting back up. Then plug in the first of your Sonos devices, and wait a minute or two for it to boot up, and then move on to the next Sonos device. Repeat as necessary. And no, you can't see on your router if there are any duplicate IP addresses assigned, it doesn't work that way.

This will get reset your router so that it won't assign already in use IP addresses, and having both the speakers and the router down at the same time means they won't try to connect to the old IP address that had previously been assigned.

However, there is only a 90% chance that this is the answer. If you happen to fall in to the minority side of that issue, I'd recommend that you submit a system diagnostic, and post the number here, for the folks at Sonos to look at. It will give them a little more concrete data to go on.
I highly doubt it's a dup IP issue - you shouldn't have to static IP everything. DHCP is pretty good about not handing out dup leases. The issue just cropped up for me too (and I've confirmed its not a dup IP issue). However, I just signed up for Amazon Prime and thought it was with that. Pandora streams fine. It did just prompt me to do all these updates, so not sure if it's the updates or the Amazon Prime. Seems like others are having problems with other apps. I'm not all that interested in sending in a diagnostic report only to be told it's wifi interference (as that seems to be the canned response).
PAL-2 wrote:

I highly doubt it's a dup IP issue - you shouldn't have to static IP everything. DHCP is pretty good about not handing out dup leases. The issue just cropped up for me too (and I've confirmed its not a dup IP issue). However, I just signed up for Amazon Prime and thought it was with that. Pandora streams fine. It did just prompt me to do all these updates, so not sure if it's the updates or the Amazon Prime. Seems like others are having problems with other apps. I'm not all that interested in sending in a diagnostic report only to be told it's wifi interference (as that seems to be the canned response).

Actually, in consumer grade routers, it is virtually impossible for them not to hand out duplicate addresses after a router reboot or power outage. Without reserve IP addresses being configured , there is nothing to preserve the assignment table through an outage, and any IP assigned after that is a potential duplicate. This normally doesn't show up because lease renewals are spaced out over days, and email, browsing, Facebook, etc. are sporadic processes that will not necessarily be affected by a duplicate IP, at least not in ways that are immediately noticeable. However, a Sonos update reboots all Sonos devices, and each rebooted device requires a new IP assignment. Also, network streamers require a constant connection, and any duplicate IP is going to affect the system in very noticeable ways.
If you are rebooting your sonos devices, your router (as simple as it may be) will keep track of what leases it has out and to what mac address they have been assigned. When those mac addresses return to the network, the router will reconcile those devices requesting new IPs to what it has already leased out. If you happen to reboot your router, the client devices should hang onto the addresses they have for their set lease time - they should not be communicating with the DHCP server until their lease is up. so they shouldn't be requesting new IPs if a router is reboot (unless the lease expires while the router is down). I have never encountered a router (consumer or business grade) that doesn't use some type of address conflict checking before leasing an IP - even if it's a simple ping. Now that being said, if you are bringing on new devices while your sonos devices are down, one might think there is a possibility for conflict, but like I said, if the router is not reboot, the table should have IP/MAC address pairings. I know that some routers you can disable the address conflict checking, but not sure why you would want to do that. In the 25 years that I've run consumer grade routers at my house, I've never once had an IP address conflict, and I have on average about 20-30 devices online, of various types. Not to mention the professional grade dhcp servers that I've run over the same time period. I think IP address duplication is most often caused by a combination of static IPs and DHCP on the network, so suggesting static IPs will probably only confuse the user base more than help it. Just my 2 cents.
Well then, I guess we should abandon the advice that has been successfully helping people get rid of duplicate IP addresses and making their Sonos more stable for going on 12 years. Instead, we should tell them it is all in their imagination because routers don't do that kind of thing. Matter of fact, I'm going to get rid of my reserved IP addresses which made my Sonos rock solid reliable and go back to the days when a router reboot or power failure had them skipping songs or entirely missing from the app.

Thanks for the info! :8
At that point I would say that it's a problem with how Sonos does DHCP then.
PAL-2 wrote:

At that point I would say that it's a problem with how Sonos does DHCP then.

No. As I said, routers do not preserve the assignment table through a power loss, and after the power loss they issue IP addresses that were previously assigned and thus are still in use.

Note, this does not affect all users after every update. Only those who are prone to power failures, have routers that crash a lot, or are constantly repowering their router. A couple dozen or so every update, and without fail, a network refresh to flush out duplicates, followed by reserving IP addresses in the router setup cures the problem. Airgetlam was giving good, solid, effective advice that has been proven to work for the past 12 years. Disagree with that advice if you wish, but please know it is based on facts, not to mention historical success.
I think a lot of people are having issues as of late - due to the most recent sonos updates - that are causing a lot of cut outs in the sonos playback. I for one am currently on a stable network, and others have also said their sonos has work well without incident until applying this recent update. However, I now am experiencing a lot of cut outs after the latest update as well. I've checked the IP addressing on my network quite often and all is stabilized - to generalize that 90% of us are experiencing DHCP issues is probably not the solution. It seems that Sonos should not try to apply a blanket fix that applies to other issues to this latest influx of issues with music cutting in and out. I do feel the types of routers that don't do ip address conflict resolution can indeed cause the type of problem you are suggesting, but I feel it's the exception and not the norm. But if it fixes the problem, all the power to you. I will clearly research another music solution if you are applying blanket fixes to your latest round of complaints.
Well for one, "I" am not Sonos, nor do I speak on their behalf. I am merely a user who tries to help others. So these suggestions are not Sonos' "blanket fix", nor is Sonos "applying" them to anything.

For future reference, Sonos representatives are clearly labeled as such.
Thank you for clarification - when you said you've been helping customers for 12 years, I assumed you were Sonos.
PAL-2 wrote:

Thank you for clarification - when you said you've been helping customers for 12 years, I assumed you were Sonos.

Only 9 years for me. The advice goes back 12 years though. Some refuse to believe it will work and need to be pulled along kicking and scratching, and others abandon a fine product rather than try a simple procedure. But I still have yet to find one person who actually does the network refresh and IP reservation properly who isn't better off for it.
I am having a similar problem. Happens with sound from the TV which is connected to the Paybar with the optical cable, and two Play 3 speakers configured as surrounds plus a Sub. Sometimes the whole lot cuts out, and sometimes one or other or both of the surrounds. It can happen when pausing a program on Netflix or Sky, or when switching between Sky and Netflix. Sometimes it just happens out of the blue without any obvious cause.

Through trial and error I have found that going into the controller on my iPad and cycling the night sound setting, on/off/on or off/on/off, immediately restores the sound. Also, using the controller, switching from the TV to Spotify and back to the TV restores the sound. Shouldn't have to do that but it seems to work.

Like others have said the entire system worked flawlessly for over a year and has only started playing up in recent months. I haven't tried assigning reserved IP addresses yet and will give that a try and see what happens (I am always open to suggestions that have worked for others). However I think in my case the fault probably has something to do with the Sonos firmware because if IP conflicts were the cause I don't understand how the methods I mentioned above would make any difference.

I have also noticed that sometimes the controller says unsupported audio. It isn't an unsupported format and performing the steps I mentioned gets rid of the error and displays the correct format, without changing anything else.

It would be helpful if someone from Sonos could respond to this thread and shed some light on this very frustrating issue.
I am also having an issue with my sonos and it is very recent. I have been using it for over 4 years now as I have built my sound system up and collected more sonos items. I have emailed the support several times to no avail
What is happening? Have a 5 for a month. Use all the time. My Speaker "updated" yesterday and now it cuts out all the time! I have read about IP addresses etc on this forum. I am NOT a computer geek. I have no time nor desire to deal with that. SONOS.... I purchased this to have an operational system. Not to be a computer tech

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)