Answered

Sonos Disconnecting Constantly - Hard Wired

I have many fitness studio locations that use the sonos port and as of last week every single sonos is disconnecting all day every day. The only way to get it to come back is to power cycle the unit. Was there an update that is causing this? Is there a solution? We have turned off all 2.4ghz frequencies in each studio without any resolve. We have changed it to channel 1, 6, and 11 and it still happens. I dont think this matters as the port is hard wired. Is anyone else having this issue?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 June 2021, 17:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Since your Port is hard wired, it would be extremely odd for it to be a wifi interference issue. Much more likely to be a duplicate IP address issue, or an issue of the originating stream. I’d certainly start by unplugging the Port (and any other Sonos devices) from power, and while it is unplugged, rebooting the router.  Once the router recovers, plug back in the Port. 

What source of music are you using? There’s a reported issue, for instance, in Spotify,. The Sonos engineers are working with the Spotify engineers to resolve that issue, from what I’ve seen in some threads. 

If the above suggestion doesn’t resolve the issue you’re experiencing, you may want to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Yeah, we called them while in studio and they were telling me to switch the channel on the wifi frequency. That did not work. I told them it was hard wired and they were adamant about the 2.4ghz frequency on the phone. We have checked for IP conflicts and have given the port a static IP via mac address. Still having the issue. 

Spotify is the main source that studios are using. 

Well, if you provide them a diagnostic, they can likely tell you whether it’s the Spotify issue or not. Since you’ve assigned static IP addresses already, it can’t be that, so it must be further up the network path. I’d check that by trying some other stream, rather than Spotify. It would be an intelligent test to see if it’s all streams, or just Spotify, and help identify where the issue lies, either locally, or not. 

Oh, one further thought. If you’re using Spotify Connect, there may be a relationship between the wifi signal the phone is on, as I think at that point, you’re streaming from the phone, rather than having the speakers connect directly to the Spotify server. Gets around the server that Spotify has given to Sonos by using the one they’ve given to their own software, but then there’s the added issue of your phone connecting to the wifi signal to reach the speakers. 

The “X Connect” services -- Spotify, Tidal, etc -- stream directly to the player. They don’t loop via the phone. The native app becomes a controller. 

Thanks for the clarification, ratty. I don’t use them, so wasn’t sure. Which makes it clearer that the issue may be the Spotify one that’s being discussed in threads in the Troubleshooting or Music Services areas. 

We have two fitness studios with the same problem, since 1-3 weeks ago depending on studio this started to happen. On one of the studios 3 times since they updates firmware to latest version. The other one we are insure of when update happend. 

each time the units is totally unresponsive to ping and on-board web interface. Only hard reboot solves the problem.

how did you solve it?

Badge +1

Same problem on a padel center, I made the following findings: 

Attempt 1 - Not rebooting Sonos, just unplugging switch/router and reboot network. Sonos is not responding to web interface but responding to PING. Not possible to play music, not visible in sonos controller. 

Attempt 2 - Complete reboot of Sonos, Directly after sonos reboot the diagnostics interface is online and music could be played. 

Installation is Sonos port, hardwired, only a singel sonos is installed at the site at the moment. At the moment the get same problem everyday almost. Same problem on another site since last update. Is it a memory leak in the sonos on-board software maybe?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is a known issue with Spotify under investigation, per other threads.

You might want to consider using a business music service instead in your fitness studios: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/business

Not only should the streams be more reliable than Spotify, they are legal for public use as well.

This issue still remains. We have contacted sonos 10+ times and cannot get an answer. We have sent them diagnostic numbers as well.