Answered

Sonos devices not in Windows Controller after wifi router change and Macafee Total Protection installation, Music Library won’t play

• 22 December 2020
  • 2 replies

Before:   Three Sonos devices, Play 1, Play 3, and Connect: amp. Sonos Windows Controller installed on my desktop, Able to play music from Music Library, and life was good. Connect:Amp hardwired into Ethernet network, other two wireless.

Then: I installed Mcaffee Total Protection on desktop, and and changed my wireless router from Google Fiber provided wifi to a Google Mesh Wifi network. It took some doing, but I was able to get all three devices to come back up, streaming works fine.

The problem:   Windows App does NOT show the Sonos devices like before, trying to play from Music Library from my IPhone or Ipad returns “Server Cannot be Found”, and won’t play. I saw that Mac Total Protect can cause firewall problems, so I turned Firewall off, but no change. Looking at my Google Fiber network diagram, Sonos devices are there, but now grayed out, and designated “Disconnected”

icon

Best answer by controlav 23 December 2020, 16:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

For future readers, I recommend one major network change at a time. In the OPs case router change AND McAfee installation means the root cause is a lot harder.

However in this case it is probably easy: new WiFi network on PC I assume, needs to be marked as Private to Windows, it will default to Public which will block all Sonos networking.

Thanks for your reply. You’re right, I wasnt thinking clearly when I did both things.

I’ll try your suggestion; for now, though I have turned off the firewall in an attempt to resolve. Still working with it.