Sonos devices and Nest cam won't connect when WIFI is working

• 11 February 2019
  • 9 replies

We have a Sonos 1 with Alexa, a Sonos5 a playbar and some other sonos speakers. We also have a Nest cam. We connect these devices to the internet via a WIFI router- a Linksys WRT1900ACS wifi router. We also have a netgear extender upstairs to have a better signal up there. All of the sonos devices tap in to the Linksys WIFI, and the Nest cam connects to the extender WIFI. We will go long periods with no issues, and then the Sonos devices and the Nest cam will all stop connecting however the wifi is still working great. No reason to the disconnects. Rebooting router does not seem to help. And thn for no reason they will connect again. It makes me think we have something set up incorrectly but I don't know what, I thought it was as simple as they connect to wifi, but clearly I'm wrong. I have the 2.4 GHz signal on channel 6.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We have a Sonos 1 with Alexa, a Sonos5 a playbar and some other sonos speakers. We also have a Nest cam. We connect these devices to the internet via a WIFI router- a Linksys WRT1900ACS wifi router. We also have a netgear extender upstairs to have a better signal up there. All of the sonos devices tap in to the Linksys WIFI, and the Nest cam connects to the extender WIFI. We will go long periods with no issues, and then the Sonos devices and the Nest cam will all stop connecting however the wifi is still working great. No reason to the disconnects. Rebooting router does not seem to help. And thn for no reason they will connect again. It makes me think we have something set up incorrectly but I don't know what, I thought it was as simple as they connect to wifi, but clearly I'm wrong. I have the 2.4 GHz signal on channel 6.

Hi krgarty,

Welcome to the community. It sounds to me like your system is getting hit with sporadic wireless interference, or some sort of recurring network issue. To determine which, I'd like to see a diagnostic report from your system after this happens. Please submit a diagnostic report after the system acts up, then reply here with the confirmation number and I'll take a look.
I went ahead and processed a diagnostics report even though we have been disconnected for a few days and haven’t been able to reconnect. Confirmation number is 262775930. We do have a. Large microwave near the router and when it runs WiFi stops working then starts again. Is this a potential interference that could cause the sonos devices to not reconnect?
Yes, it certainly is. I had to replace an old microwave in my home several years ago, as it was causing a similar issue.
It’s relatively new, 2015, but maybe some are worse than others?
Depends on the electronics in them. Like any device, they can vary from device to device. A poorly made one can fail after years, sometimes a well made one can fail within weeks. But the key sign in your post was that the interference occurs when the device is on, and stops when it is off. That's a pretty good indicator that your individual microwave is "leaking" in a radio frequency that is causing trouble for the wifi signal.

I see you're a US resident, so you probably know the FCC has a rating for electronic devices and how much they're allowed to emit. But that's used for a single model, and they don't test every single one that comes off a manufacturing line. And if there's something that's failing in your particular microwave, it might be the cause.
Shoot. Try moving the microwave (or speakers?) a few feet from where they are now, and see if that makes a difference.

i.e. don't have the speakers sitting on top of the microwave. Sonos usually suggests a couple of feet between their products and a router, so it would make some sense to look at that as at least a guideline. Wifi routers also "leak" radiation, which is why they suggest you don't stack a Sonos device on top of one.
Super helpful thank you! Sounds like we got a faulty microwave and it’s time for it to go! Also, our Sonos 5 sits on the counter right above the WiFi router that is in the shelf below so that could be a source of the issue as well! I will try both things.
Essentially, electricity is the same thing as radio, if you remember your high school physics :)

While the FCC does regulate radio "leakage" on all electric devices, it can't catch devices that are "broken" after manufacture. I think your suggestion of checking both areas makes a lot of sense. Give devices, where you can, around a foot or two of space in between them. Not always easy to do, at least in my home, but it's really something you should do with wifi devices.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11
It sounds like you are on the right road. I have a microwave that can interrupt my Sonos - I have experimented and found a way round it.
As well as moving your microwave, it may be worth trying to extend the gap between your router and Play 5 too.