Question

SONOS device groups fall apart...help?!

• 5 December 2016
  • 10 replies

Badge
Hi,

I hope that someone can help me out. I have a SONOS system with two SONOS:5, two SONOS:Connect and one SONOS:3. I also have a SONOS BOOST. Sometimes when I play in party mode, all the devices with the same source, does the music stop and the group is gone. It looks like the whole system restarts since all the devices are split. Before this happens usually does one or the other speaker volume comes and goes, like if someone was muting it and turning it on. I run the SONOS system with SONOS Net and have checked that my own WIFI doesn't use the same channels.

I hope that someone seen this before and know what to do!

Regards,

Tobias

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

I think you should submit a system diagnostic after such an event, and post the confirmation number. Some significant network disruption appears to be occurring. It should leave some useful data in the internal player logs.

We could sit here and idly speculate, but the diagnostic should shed a lot more light.
Badge
HI,

THX, will do!

Regards,

Tobias
Badge
Have sent the diagnostics... 6832484 is just after one of these incidents where the volume goes down on one of the unit and 6832508 when is gone for some time. In both cases is it my SONOS:5 placed in my kitchen. I hope that could give you some hints.

Regards,

Tobias.
Badge
Another diag sent where both the SONOS:5 volume shifts down and up but not at the same time. Nr: 6838757

Tobias
Badge
Yet another, this time the group fell apart and each player became its own group. Diagnr: 6838820

Regards,

Tobias
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yet another, this time the group fell apart and each player became its own group. Diagnr: 6838820

Regards,

Tobias

Hi Tobias,

There's a lot of wireless interference showing up which is leading to communication errors between your components. There seems to be more interference near your Kök and Vardagsrum units. Please check around theses components for any third party wireless devices which could be causing interference. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, wireless TVs and wireless printers.

It may also help to change the wireless channel your Sonos system uses.
Badge
Ok, my WIFI channels and my SONOS channel is different, manually secured that. There are nothing near neither the KÖK SONOS:5 nor the VARDAGSRUM Connect. In the VARDAGSRUM area are everything wired.

Will the network stability improve if I wire more of my SONOS devices?

Regards,

Tobias
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Will the network stability improve if I wire more of my SONOS devices?

Yes. Wiring more Sonos devices will help the connection/communication.
Let us know how your system is doing and also, submit a new diagnostic.
Badge
Hi,

Have now wired two units. It seems that it is better but is it? Have sent some diagnostics. 6886652.Hope that you could just take a look and see if it has improved from last time.

Regards,

Tobas
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, Tobas. There's still quite high levels of interference. The most important factor is how well it's working for you, though. The diagnostics give an indication of what may happen, but ultimately the functionality of the system is the most telling aspect. How has it been since?