Question

Sonos delay in picking up my music

• 30 November 2019
  • 20 replies

Badge

Good afternoon.

I have recently installed 6 Sonos wireless speakers,a Sonos amp connected to 2 ceiling speakers (not Sonos) but connected by wire to a Sonos amp and a Sonos wireless beam sound bar.

I control the music I want to listen to via my iPad and the music is contained on a Toshiba Hard drive connected to my BT Router.

The music however is 10 seconds in before the Sonos picks it up - so I miss the start of an album or individual track.

Is this normal?

Thank You for your Help and Kind Regards.

20 replies

I wouldn’t think so. I control my music, stored on an NAS, via my iPad, and the connection is immediate, no parts of the songs at all. Is it possible that one of your Sonos devices is not plugged in all the time? When you apply power to them, they do take some time to boot up.

That being said, I do think it’s more likely that your speakers are experiencing wifi interference of some type. It’s worth reading through that data, and seeing what solutions you may be able to apply.

One additional thought. If your NAS is allowed to “sleep”, it could be the delay is due to spin up time, although I think in that case you’d get the delay just to start the music, and it wouldn’t skip the first x seconds of play. 

Badge

Thanks - speakers are connected to power all the time.

I don’t know whether to purchase the Sonos Boost.

I wouldn’t think a BOOST would make a significant difference in your situation, unless your current Wi-Fi  is already over saturated. But you could certainly experiment by simply wiring one of your speakers to your router with an Ethernet cable, waiting a few minutes for everything to settle down, and doing some testing. In that scenario, the wired speaker acts in the same manner as the BOOST.

In that situation, though, you’d certainly want to be sure the SonosNet channel was on a different channel than your Wi-Fi signal, otherwise they’d be clashing. 

Badge

Good idea regarding the ethernet cable - I will try this.

Regards,

It’s a cheaper “test” :)

Badge

Yes - I need to buy or find an ethernet cable.

I may have to wait until Monday unfortunately

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Don’t get ripped off on your Ethernet cable, they are cheap even if some shady places want almost a buck a foot. 50 for $15 or 100 for $23.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ethernet-BUSOHE-Computer-Internet-Network/dp/B076D4KWHX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa

Badge

Tried the Ethernet connection but still experiencing the 10 second delay.

I may have to pay for an audio expert to inspect the system.

I’d suggest not an audio expert, but instead a network expert. 

Badge

Yes - good idea Airgetlam.

We have no problem streaming films so I would have thought the signal strength would be strong enough.

I have just bought the Sonos Move so we will see!

Badge

I still have not solved the problem regarding the delay to the music,but it has been suggested that it takes time for the Toshiba disk drive,containing my music, connected to the router, “to spin” and find the music.

Does this sound feasible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I still have not solved the problem regarding the delay to the music,but it has been suggested that it takes time for the Toshiba disk drive,containing my music, connected to the router, “to spin” and find the music.

Does this sound feasible?

10 seconds seems excessive. Have you tried playing music on a PC media player from the same drive to see if you get the same delay. If you do then that’s your answer. 

I see no mention of contact with Sonos in this thread. If you haven't then submit a diagnostic and note the number after you experience the 10 second delay and post in here or call Sonos or send via their Twitter or Facebook support pages

Badge

Thank You.

When you say playing the music on a PC media player - does that mean connecting the hard drive to my PC and then playing the music via windows media player?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Thank You.

When you say playing the music on a PC media player - does that mean connecting the hard drive to my PC and then playing the music via windows media player?

Yes. Though if it’s connected to your router already and your PC is also connected to the network you should be able to access it without plugging into the PC

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Just to make sure we’re on the same page here...you stated that you’re initiating playback with your ipad.  That means that you’re using the Sonos app to initiate playback, correct? You aren’t using iTunes (or some other app) along with Apple Airplay, right?  I’m not sure the later is even possible, but still worth clarifying exactly how you are playing musc/

Badge

Just tried this and there is no delay whatsoever so I will try the Sonos route - Thank You for your help.

Badge

Using my iPad to play the music via the Sonos app.

Not sure how to access the hard drive connected to my router via my PC!

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Look under your file manager in local networking or something similar.