Answered

SONOS Controller flaw - Radio streams

Badge
I use SONOS since January 2015. To date, I have more than 22,000 play hours. All day long, I listen to a single radio station, 95.1 FM in Montréal. I have about 12 speakers spread out all over my property (and just for you to know if that is possible to have Play:1 outside, yes with some in the rain and -40˚F in the winter). The flaw is that it uses a different feed of «Radio by TuneIn» for a same station unless you group the speakers. The speakers in the kitchen are on all day long. Adjacent outside for example is the véranda. When I turn on the later, I can still hear the kitchen ones BUT with an echo. When I go in the garage and turn the speaker on, I hear the stations from the three areas BUT not in Sync, so with echoes. The simplest way to program the Controller is that, since a radio station «is» a live feed, it should automatically choose the feed already «on» on my network, if any one is, for a given radio station instead of using a new (3rd/4th...) radio feed for a same radio station. That is as simple as that!
Moreover, I would love that just getting close to a speaker that we could set it up to turn on automatically with a widget in my pockets OR better, with my cell phone on me.
Extra wish: a door-bell button that play a chyme on programmed speakers.
I love SONOS…
icon

Best answer by Misfit 14 August 2019, 19:31

That is possible yes but this is not the problem.

Pretty sure it is.

In my situation above, with three locations using same radio station:
1) I do not want to enter the garage and use a controller to group... I just want tap the on button on the speaker to listen to my station. Moreover, if I group coming in garage, It asks me to chose between two feeds for the same station!!! The choice is futile as same station!

If you don't want to use the controller, press and hold the Play/Pause button on the speaker, that should group it with the room it was last grouped with.

2) Then leaving garage to go back to veranda, I want to turn off garage speaker. If it is grouped, then turning off garage by tapping speaker's button, my two other locations would turn off (I do not want to miss any part of the conversation on the radio).

See above. Press and hold the Play/Pause button to remove it from the group.
View original

10 replies

Um, yes, this is expected. So group the speakers...
Badge
1) I do not want to enter the garage and use a controller to group... I just want to tap the «on» button on the speaker to listen to my station. Moreover, if I group coming in garage, it asks me to chose between two feeds for the same station!!! The choice is futile as it is the same station! (I say do not ask and just use the one already «on» on others already in the group)
2) Then, leaving the garage to go back to the veranda, I want to turn «off» the garage speaker. If it is grouped, then turning «off» the garage one by tapping the speaker's button, my two other locations would turn «off» (I do not want to miss any part of the conversation on the radio).
My suggestion is easy and stands only for feeds like radio stations. Obviously, that should not apply for music from library... Hope my explaining of the flaw is correct. I have 22500 play hours on my speaker. I know what I need!
Another hint is to offer in the setup of each speaker to chose by a check mark or no check, if a) we want to set it up to use an existing open feed on the network when I turn «on» or b) to always create a new feed when turning «on» that speaker. In fact, that would be a better solution allowing versatility. Cheers
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Pretty sure it is.

1) I do not want to enter the garage and use a controller to group... I just want tap the on button on the speaker to listen to my station. Moreover, if I group coming in garage, It asks me to chose between two feeds for the same station!!! The choice is futile as same station!

If you don't want to use the controller, press and hold the Play/Pause button on the speaker, that should group it with the room it was last grouped with.

2) Then leaving garage to go back to veranda, I want to turn off garage speaker. If it is grouped, then turning off garage by tapping speaker's button, my two other locations would turn off (I do not want to miss any part of the conversation on the radio).

See above. Press and hold the Play/Pause button to remove it from the group.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This really doesn't have anything to do with the controller. It's effectively dumb, and only reports back to you what the speakers in your system are doing. if such a feature were done, it would be up to the speakers to see what other speakers are doing and try and share a feed if it could. But as @chicks this is what grouping already does. It uses a single feed and ensures timing is right to play audio in sync.

I suppose Sonos could put in logic to auto group speakers for your cases, but seems like a rather limited use case, and would require logic to figure out that the exact same stream is playing in multiple zones, logic that surely doesn't exist now, since it's not needed.
Again, it's not a flaw. You're using three different streams, so of course they won't be in sync. That's why Sonos allows you to group the speakers on a single stream. Works every time - use it!
Badge
Okay, great!!! It is not a «flaw».
this is good:
ON: when OFF, press and hold the Play/Pause button on the speaker, that should group it with the room it was last grouped with.
OFF: when ON, press and hold the Play/Pause button to remove it from the group.

However, I would still believe my suggestions would be an enhancement. When you use the Controller app, it should not ask me to chose between two same «radio station» and my second idea to click in speaker set-up to use, or not to use, existing available feed if same radio station (i.e. only for Radio by TuneIn).

Thanks Misfit

[Sorry, I cannot seem to be able to change the topic name «Controller flaw - Radio streams».]
Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks Misfit

Anytime. I use this feature often on my Beam because I'm too lazy to pull out my phone to group/ungroup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
However, I would still believe my suggestions would be an enhancement. When you use the Controller app, it should not ask me to chose between two same «radio station» and my second idea to click in speaker set-up to use, or not to use, existing available feed if same radio station (i.e. only for Radio by TuneIn).

The only reason you're asked to pick between two identical streams is because you didn't group the two speakers together (so that they play in sync without echo) to begin with. Get yourself in the logical habit of grouping your speakers together when you want them to play in sync instead of initiating a second stream of the same radio station.

In the vast majority of times the question is going to be asked to pick between two different steams, such as tune-in and TV audio, a very relevant question. I don't see why Sonos needs to go through all the effort of programming the system to recognize that two streams are identical. It's a lot of work just to avoid an extra click that won't even be relevant 99.99% of the time grouping is done.
Userlevel 4
Badge +9
One correction on gouping with holding the play/pause button; It doesn't group with the last player it was grouped with, otherwise a never before grouped player could never be grouped that way, but it firstly groups with the player where you last started playback. if you keep pressing the button it will cycle through all playing streams in your household.

But I agree this is the feature that OP should be using since he wants to start playback with pressing the play button anyway.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
One correction on gouping with holding the play/pause button; It doesn't group with the last player it was grouped with, otherwise a never before grouped player could never be grouped that way, but it firstly groups with the player where you last started playback. if you keep pressing the button it will cycle through all playing streams in your household.

That's right, I forgot the actual way it did it... I just always have a group going with two speakers, so when I do that my Beam only connects to the group that's playing 24/7. Seeing how my Connect rarely gets used.