Answered

Sonos control shuts down Logitech Harmony Activity

Badge
I experience following bug related to Sonos.

How to reproduce : I have a Sonos Connect hooked to hifi system (yamaha amp). When these are active in an activity to play Sonos Connect sound on the hifi, and then I group this Connect to an other Sonos player (I have Play:3 and I use Sonos desktop app to group) then this causes the yamaha amp to get switched off. Apparently the activity gets stopped, thus switching off the amp. This is not the behaviour I expect. I expect the system to continue playing (in the new Sonos group).

I looked for configuration solutions in MyHarmony but the only way to have the amp not switch off is to configure it to remain always on. That is not a suitable solution.
Is there any configuration solution for this pls. Otherwise, please fix the bug.
icon

Best answer by garethrees 14 September 2018, 15:27

Hello All, just to follow up on this I've found two ways to work around the issue.

1) Create a new activity in Harmony which only turns on the Amp to the correct input for the Sonos, that way the harmony is not connecting this activity with Sonos is any way and when the Sonos App is used to group the device it does not switch off the amp/activity. The down side of this is that you can no longer turn off the Sonos with harmony for this activity.

2) Delete the exiting Sonos activity and create a new one, being sure to group ALL of your Sonos devices on startup, once this had been done the amp/activity will stay on regardless of the un-grouping and re-grouping of the Sonos devices. The down side of this is that you have to start the activity with all devices grouped so if you were listening to something it will override that with the new group all. The Plus side is you can balance the vol via the Amp and Sonos is one action.

In my testing I discovered that I had one Sonos device setup on the activity in Harmony and if you tried to group that Sonos device it would shutdown the activity and therefore the Amp. So I deleted that activity and created two new ones as described above. This works and I can now un-group and re-group the Sonos connected to the Amp without it shutting down.

Hope this helps.

Regards Gareth

View original

11 replies

It's hardly a bug. Sometimes grouping operations can very briefly interrupt music playback. Your CONNECT is clearly resuming its audio output, since leaving the Yamaha amp on is a solution.

Is the Yamaha initially turning itself on by auto-sensing a signal from the CONNECT? If so, the signal sensing seems a bit delicate if a brief audio interruption causes it to turn itself off, and yet the resumption of the signal doesn't turn it back on again.
Hi. I suspect this is not a Sonos bug but possibly a misconfiguration of your Harmony device or an error in using it. Do you have any problems if you use the Sonos app?
Badge
Thank you.

Whether desktop app or Sonos tablet app makes no difference.

It doesn't seem to be a matter of signal sensing because the harmony activity actually stops (so it's not the amp shutting down by itself).

Even more unexpected is the behaviour like this :
1. Start state : Connect is paused. It's connected to Amp which is on, in an active harmony activity. Play3 is playing music. Connect and Play3 not grouped.
2. Group Connect and Play3 (Keep playlist from Play3, so the Connect unpauses)
3. Result : harmony activity stops.
I don't see any logic in that.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hey there, Dirk123. Thanks for posting. Would you mind replicating the problem and submitting a diagnostic report? I'm curious to see what happens from the Sonos side of things after the group command is sent.

Be sure to reply here with the confirmation number and I will be happy to take a closer look. Thanks!
I’m having the same problem, with a Logitech Harmony Ultimate and an Onkyo receiver. Something about grouping my Sonos Connect to my Sonos One (in order to use AirPlay 2) is stopping the Harmony activity and shutting down the receiver.
I am expericing a very similar issue. I agree with the previous poster in that I think it has something to do with grouping speakers in order to use AirPlay 2 because that’s when I am expericing the issue
Same problem here. Seems like it started happening around the airplay update. I’m using a Marantz SR6010 and a ZP90/Connect. Sonos is connected to my AVR via optical. As soon as I group my connect with the other speakers it shuts down the harmony activity. I tried recreating my Harmony activity...I deleted Sonos from Harmony completely. I just program Harmony to switch to my cd input and it still shuts off. Pretty confusing.
Just to add another view to confirm this behavior.

I have a Harmony Activity to turn on the AMP and set it to the Sonos Connect Input which works as expected.

Then if you open up the Sonos App and Group the Sonos Connect into the main group it triggers the Harmony Remote to Shutdown that Activity which in turn sends the IR codes to the Amp to shutdown. I know this is done via IR because I have a blue repeater light which is trigger whenever IR signal is sent and I can see on the Harmony Remote "Shutting Down" as soon as the group is connected.

Something is triggering the Harmony to shutdown the activity and the only thing changing is the Sonos Group to the device.

Has anyone else found a workaround to this apart from ensuring that Group is complete before powering up the activity?
Just to add that if you reverse the sequence and group all of your sonos devices first then switch on the Harmony Activity it will turn on the amp and un-group all the other devices in favor of the one connected to the amp.
Hello All, just to follow up on this I've found two ways to work around the issue.

1) Create a new activity in Harmony which only turns on the Amp to the correct input for the Sonos, that way the harmony is not connecting this activity with Sonos is any way and when the Sonos App is used to group the device it does not switch off the amp/activity. The down side of this is that you can no longer turn off the Sonos with harmony for this activity.

2) Delete the exiting Sonos activity and create a new one, being sure to group ALL of your Sonos devices on startup, once this had been done the amp/activity will stay on regardless of the un-grouping and re-grouping of the Sonos devices. The down side of this is that you have to start the activity with all devices grouped so if you were listening to something it will override that with the new group all. The Plus side is you can balance the vol via the Amp and Sonos is one action.

In my testing I discovered that I had one Sonos device setup on the activity in Harmony and if you tried to group that Sonos device it would shutdown the activity and therefore the Amp. So I deleted that activity and created two new ones as described above. This works and I can now un-group and re-group the Sonos connected to the Amp without it shutting down.

Hope this helps.

Regards Gareth
garethrees wrote:

Hope this helps.

Regards Gareth

This worked great, cheers mate.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings