Answered

Sonos AirPlay Constantly Cutting Out.

• 22 February 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi,

I’m using a Sonos One and playing from my MacBook Pro (OS 11.2.1).

When playing streamed music to my Sonos it keeps cutting out all the time. 

Has anyone experienced this and have they found a remedy?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 March 2021, 14:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

It sounds like a network connection issue, either to (or between) the speaker and the music source - Is it a wired, wireless, or mixed connection between both and do you just have just the one Sonos device only?

It’s only wireless. We have 100mbps Fibre broadband. Router in the next room. 

Same problem. Music is constantly interrupted.

I have a great wi-fi. 

It’s only wireless. We have 100mbps Fibre broadband. Router in the next room. 

The speed of the internet connection is not exclusively relevant. What channel and channel-width are you using for your 2.4Ghz WiFi around the home? Maybe try a different channel - I would personally recommend using channel 1, 6 or 11 as they are non-overlapping. Many routers default to 6, so maybe try one of the others and also set the channel-width to 20MHz, as a starter. Ensure the 2.4Ghz SSID is named differently to the 5Ghz SSID (if applicable).

Then perhaps look at the audio sources that you are playing to the speaker. Do you use Airplay, for example?.

Also are you streaming audio from online services, or locally stored libraries, such as your PC or NAS Box?

Thanks. Don’t really want to poor should need to got all that just to get a plug and play device to play. It’s just a streaming mix from Mix cloud but it also struggles with Spotify. Sound quality is ok, if not a little bass heavy, but the constant faffing about with it is starting to make me think I’d be better off without it. 

Thanks. Don’t really want to poor should need to got all that just to get a plug and play device to play. It’s just a streaming mix from Mix cloud but it also struggles with Spotify. Sound quality is ok, if not a little bass heavy, but the constant faffing about with it is starting to make me think I’d be better off without it. 

The Sonos devices are very much plug’n’play, but you still need to have a stable wireless network platform to set them upon in the first place, much in the same way that a car will run more smoothly on a road with fewer potholes.

That’s the reason why I have only recommended a couple of simple changes to the Router WiFi settings, rather than any changes to your Sonos product.

I’m merely suggesting improvements to your WiFi signal. There’s no need to alter your Sonos product settings here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Wilbur75 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Are you still having this problem? If so, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.