Question

Sonos Connection (Double Nat).

• 23 October 2020
  • 6 replies

Hello! 

So we have a playbar, and two play 1 speakers at my office. They’ve worked OK in the past but have always been a gamble as to weather or not they will let you connect or not. We recently got our modem replaced by ATT, and it seemed like after that we started having issues connecting to them more frequently. 

I purchased a sonos boost to try to improve the connection. I reset all of the speakers, set up the boost and then connected the playbar to the boost and it worked perfectly for a day. Once i came in the next morning, the consoles were no where to be found on the app. 

I called SONOS and they told me its a “Double Nat” issue, that our Sonos is on one IP but our other stuff is on another IP? I had ATT come in this morning only to tell me that it is not an ATT issue, that it’s the Sonos that isn’t broadcasting? 

I'm getting really frustrated with this and my boss is looking to me like WHY IS THIS NOT FIXED YET!? and I truly have no idea whats going on with them. Asking for some help if anyone knows the issue here! 

Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I called SONOS and they told me its a “Double Nat” issue, that our Sonos is on one IP but our other stuff is on another IP? I had ATT come in this morning only to tell me that it is not an ATT issue, that it’s the Sonos that isn’t broadcasting? 

“Double NAT” -- one router cascaded off another -- per se doesn’t affect a Sonos system. You may however be trying to work across multiple IP subnets; a Sonos controller on one subnet wouldn’t discover players on another. (This could explain the ATT “broadcast” comment.)

Describe your local network in detail and we’ll see what we can see. Are there multiple WiFis?

Ref the boss’s comments are you the local IT person?

Hi, thank you for responding !! 

We have two wifi’s, one main one and then another for Guests. And then we do have two Google Wifi’s to help the signal boost, one upstairs and one downstairs. 

I am the assistant but I often have to take on other roles like IT, troubleshooting. 

Google WiFi mesh includes a router in the primary node. A Sonos controller on the Google WiFi therefore wouldn’t be able to see a Sonos system connected to its ‘upstream’ side (and vice versa).

So what would I have to do to get rid of this issue? unplug all of the Google wifi’s and reset the speakers? and then replug the google wifis in? 

Resetting or unplugging/plugging-in won’t help. You mentioned a Boost. This needs to be wired to an Ethernet port on the primary Google node. Any device wanting to control the system needs to be on that Google mesh WiFi.

Ah!! That worked.  

Thank you so much!! Saved my ass tbh haha.