Sonos connection being dropped

• 11 November 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

For the past few days, my Sonos system is constantly dropping its connection. Wifi is fine; app is up-to-date (and a few devices); yet, the system will start to play a channel, drop it, search and eventually return any number of messages (e.g., ‘unable to connect to Sonos product’, ‘unable to play channel’, ‘connection to Sonos radio was lost’, etc.). I had no issues with my system prior to the wind storms on the BC coast a few days ago. Coincidence or is there something else going on? Curious whether anyone else in the Vancouver market is experiencing the same thing?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Sounds a lot like, at least potentially, a duplicate IP problem. Since the Sonos speakers all communicate with each other routinely, if the particular issue is with the one speaker that you’re “starting” playback on, and the others are grouped with it, it could certainly cause that sort of behaviour.  I’d start, at the very least, by refreshing your Sonos connections in your router by unplugging all the Sonos devices from power, and while they’re unplugged, rebooting your router. Once the router comes back up, go ahead and power up the Sonos devices, starting with the one (if there is one) connected to the router with an ethernet cable. If there isn’t, then any order is fine. 

Test after they’ve all booted up, and see if you can recreate the “drop” in connection. If so, then submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 7

Try unplugging your Sonos speakers from power for a couple of minutes and reboot your router and phone.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Trouble is, it’s four different speakers (Beam, Play 1, etc.). They all drop the connection simultaneously. And all my other wireless devices (phone, laptop) aren’t dropping their wifi.