Question

Sonos Connect will not do multi-room if connected wirelessly

Badge +1

I recently acquired a used Sonos Connect (Gen1) with a view to integrating my hifi (in a separate room) with my Sonos network of room speakers in the rest of the house.  When connected by Ethernet cable, the Connect participates in multi-room play without a problem.  When connected wirelessly, as soon as other rooms are included in the group, the Connect ceases to play while the other rooms continue to do so.  I thought the location it was in might have only a weak wireless signal but this problem occurs (wirelessly) wherever the Connect is located.  None of the other speakers have a problem connecting wirelessly.

I also use a Sonos Bridge connected directly by Ethernet to the router to facilitate wireless connectivity.

The reason why this cannot be solved simply by using a wired connection is that the room where the Connect is to be used cannot be reached by that method.

Is this a configuration/set-up issue or is the Connect faulty?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Badge +1

WiFi mesh and Sonos can need some special care.  Which brand of mesh? How does it Connect to router?  So router wifi is turned off? What is acting as DHCP server?

It’s a BT Whole Home disc system using two discs, one of which is connected to the router by Ethernet cable.  The router wifi is not turned off but is not used by any device.  The router acts as the DHCP server.

Just keep the Sonos system in SonosNet mode. These mesh WiFi systems are not ideal for Sonos in WiFi mode.

Badge +1

In your position I would want to know why the system was and is behaving the way it does. The most obvious user-accessible tool is the Network Matrix, an undocumented part of the diagnostics. It displays a basic snapshot of the SonosNet mesh topology.

Note the IP address (x.x.x.x) of one of your players (not the Bridge) and point a browser to http://x.x.x.x:1400/support/review substituting the numeric address. Paste a screenshot here if you’d like some input. 

Thanks for that tip.  Here it is...

Dining Room is on the powerline connection. What Sonos model is it? Not a young one, to judge from the MAC address and ambient noise metric. It’s supporting all the wireless nodes except Master Bedroom, which is the only node connected to the Bridge.

Unfortunately Master Bedroom has a poor signal strength to Dining Room, otherwise the Bridge could have been jettisoned. 

If you hadn’t already figured, the coloured cells in the matrix body are active ‘tunnels’ (in each direction A → B and B → A). The colour reflects signal strength. Amber will typically work okay if there’s low interference. And thankfully Bridge and Master Bedroom have low ambient RF noise; that’s what the colours in the left column indicate.

Note that the matrix is a snapshot. If conditions change you’d need to refresh.

Badge +1

@ratty , thanks for this. Dining room is a Play: 5 (Gen 1) so your guess as to its age is correct and, yes, it is the device connected to the powerline.  This matrix does give a very detailed account of the network. I will study it carefully and try and understand the status of the network.  You’ve already given me some pointers - thanks.

Play:5/gen1 is at least SonosNet 2.0.

If you’re interested in what “root bridge”, “secondary node”, etc mean then google “spanning tree protocol”. But I warn you that the rabbit hole can go pretty deep...

‘Study’ displays weird figures.

@milesman, by the way, powerline is not supported by Sonos, it might introduce dropouts/cutouts due to voltage drop.

‘Study’ displays weird figures.

It’s an old node. I suspect it could be the ZP100. The ambient noise figures are a bit hit and miss these days, in terms of whether the data returned by the wireless NIC is compatible with the matrix.

@milesman, by the way, powerline is not supported by Sonos, it might introduce dropouts/cutouts due to voltage drop.

Grouping could falter due to latency variation, but delivery of network streams to a group coordinator should be okay so long as the EoP connection doesn’t totally drop out.