Answered

Sonos Connect / Spotify starts playing by itself

Hi, in the past few weeks my Sonos Connect has started playing random songs not in my playlist from Spotify. Last week it was playing Alan Jackson and last night it started playing The Righteous Brothers. I submitted a diagnostic which is number 1947761065. I don't have any alarms set and no one else has access to my wifi and/or Spotify.

Can someone please help with this? Let me know if you need more info!

Thanks... Josh
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 28 May 2019, 19:41

Hi, in the past few weeks my Sonos Connect has started playing random songs not in my playlist from Spotify. Last week it was playing Alan Jackson and last night it started playing The Righteous Brothers. I submitted a diagnostic which is number 1947761065. I don't have any alarms set and no one else has access to my wifi and/or Spotify.

Thanks... Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see a whole lot in your report which would explain why non-playlists songs are playing. I see quite few messages in the report where tracks are being added to the queue, but I can't tell if these were added on purpose. I think it would be a good idea to have our phone team take a look at this issue live. Please give us a call, our number and hours can be found here.
View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thanks... Josh

Hi Josh,

Thanks for sending in the report. I don't see a whole lot in your report which would explain why non-playlists songs are playing. I see quite few messages in the report where tracks are being added to the queue, but I can't tell if these were added on purpose. I think it would be a good idea to have our phone team take a look at this issue live. Please give us a call, our number and hours can be found here.
Thanks Jeff. This just happened again and I was able to submit a diagnostic right away. The new number is 1141570665. Does that one give anymore info on what's happening?

Thanks... Josh
Same issue with me 310810305 it basically sees my phone connect to wifi then starts playing what was in the queue if Spotify or streams the TuneIn Radio station. Very annoying
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue with me 310810305 it basically sees my phone connect to wifi then starts playing what was in the queue if Spotify or streams the TuneIn Radio station. Very annoying

Hi there,

Your speakers are receiving commands to play from Alexa . Have you set up any groups or autoplay options?
i have exactly the same issue. it seems when i return home and my phone connects to the wifi Sonos starts playing on the last speaker(s) that was playing. I have submitted diagnostics to Sonos but they only confirmed the request came from my phone. I have no idea why it starts. I have checked Alexa and any other routines that could run but doesnt appear that anything is triggering it to play other than joining the wifi network!
Does it happen irrespective of whether you have the Sonos / Alexa / Spotify apps open on your phone?

And although this sounds a bit random, does it happen whether or not your phone has Bluetooth enabled?
Hi John.
Bluetooth is always turned on my phone as I have a fit bit.
I thought initially it might be related to the widget on my lock screen getting knocked in my pocket but I disabled this from the sonos app.
I don't use Spotify so it's not coming from there. Sonos may be open in the background however I would need to check.
Thanks!
Yes please try a few experiments. Cannot promise that it will tell us anything but won't take long .
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Looking forward to hearing how the tests go.

Do you perhaps IFTTT installed to hit play when you get home? Maybe someone else enabled it?
I did a few tests, it appears to start playback when the sonos app is open in the background. If I ensure the app is closed when I return home it doesn't appear to trigger the play.
I have checked iftt and I don't have any recipes configured for sonos.
Also, I tried disabling WiFi and enabling it and it doesn't happen so think it is related to the WiFi auto connect based on GPS within android.
Has any one else noticed this?
Do you have any IFTTT actions that are triggered by 'when my phone connects to WiFi', even though unrelated to Sonos?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
I've also seen this happen when the phone swaps to or from Bluetooth. For example, when you come home and the phone stops connecting to your car's Bluetooth, it hits play. Most times I've seen this it goes int he opposite direction, but it's just another place to check out.
I just returned home with the sonos app closed and it didn't start playing so it appears only when the app is running in the back ground.
I've checked all of my iftt services and none of them have anything related to when I return home or connect to a WiFi
Any other suggests?
I must admit I cannot think what the mechanism is that is causing this. Have you tried with Sonos app open and Bluetooth disabled?
I had a vague recollection of Bluetooth being implicated in this (rightly or wrongly) at some point in the past.

https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/sonos-starts-by-itself-6790827
Oops - just read Ryan's post about this.
Hi John. Thanks for sharing the post and providing suggestions to troubleshoot.
My phone didn't connect to any Bluetooth devices at home so don't think it's related.
I'll try disabling bt with sonos running to rule it out and keep you posted!

Having the same problem, Sonos coming on randomly sometimes in the middle of the night. Music is coming on not showing on phone. Is it possible someone else is connected to it? I have a diagnostic 1913515358. Thanks Claire