Question

Sonos Connect, Sony Sound Bar, Play 1 Rear Speakers

• 8 December 2016
  • 6 replies

Hi all,

Firstly, deepest apologies for posting a subject which has probably been covered a million times, but here we go...

I currently have two 'ecosystems' - I have a pair of Sonos Play 1 speakers used exclusively for music.

I also have a Sony Bravia TV with a Sony soundbar + sub - the sound bar is attached to the TV via an optical cable (formerly it was HDMI - not sure why I swapped)

Neither system interacts with each other.

If I was to purchase a Sonos Connect, can I move the two Sonos 1s to rear speakers and use the existing soundbar as a 'front' speaker?

The Sony soundbar only has 1x optical port, but 4 HDMI ports. Obvs the optical port is being used at the moment.

Should I reconnect the HDMI port from the soundbar to the TV thus freeing the optical port which would allow me to connect the Sonos Connect?

I know all this is possible, but just need some guidance, please.

Thank you in advance.

Mark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

No, I don't believe so. The Sonos Connect does not have the capability to interpret the data stream to derive the "surround" part of the stream. It only handles stereo. If I were to guess as to why, it would be their desire to market the Playbar :)

Now, I think you could connect a "rear/surround" stream to the Connect, but there would be a delay induced, so that things wouldn't synchronize properly between the front speaker and the surrounds, in a way that would like be jarring. If you already owned the Connect, I'd suggest trying it to see, but it is hard to recommend the expense for just a test, especially one that I expect failure from. I guess with Sonos' return policy, it might be worth it?

At the end of the day, in order to do any significant installation of a home theater, getting a Playbar is the desired path. Then you could connect the Play:1s as surrounds quite easily.

Sorry to not be as helpful as you'd like.
I would if anything be even less optimistic than @Airgetlam about achieving anything worthwhile in this way, I am afraid. The Connect has no role even in a Sonos home theatre set up.
I have to admit to being extremely pessimistic about it as well, John B. The only way I could conceive of it actually being a potential was connecting the "surround" signals from the receiver to the input to the Connect, although it would have to be on a set volume and not variable. Although maybe you could adjust the line-in volume to compensate?

In any case it's a huge stretch. And not something I'd recommend by a long shot. But I didn't want to just say "no" and move along.
It's a soundbar not a receiver. I don't think there is a surround signal to send and it would never sync if there is. I think "forget it, you'll die in the attempt" is the kindest advice.
Ah, good point, I was thinking of a receiver like the setup I had before I went to Sonos. And I don't have a clue as to how a Sony sound bar distributes data to rear speakers.

My apologies for drifting off topic.
Dang....Playbar it is then...£££