Answered

SONOS Connect - Line In come and go

• 29 December 2021
  • 10 replies

Badge
  • Contributor II
  • 6 replies

Hello, 

I have the same issue as in this topic. The line-in used to work well, but now, it comes and go : 

• I made a factory reset, without success
  • Tried several RCA wire, of course
  • Reboot router, of course
  • Checked that Line out from the Hifi Amp was OK, of course
  • I called the technical support, of course - no comment - the guy/girl was not aware about the use cases of the Sonos Connect (Turntable > Hifi Amp > Connect RCA In or Connect RCA Out > Hifi Amp > Hi-fi Speaker) 
  • I send my logs to the support : no idea - Your Connect is KO

This is the limit of Sonos in 2021. No fixing - No repair : You just have to buy the new model.

Any idea? Thanks a lot.

icon

Best answer by buzz 30 December 2021, 17:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Hello, 

I have the same issue as in this topic. The line-in used to work well, but now, it comes and go : 

• I made a factory reset, without success
  • Tried several RCA wire, of course
  • Reboot router, of course
  • Checked that Line out from the Hifi Amp was OK, of course
  • I called the technical support, of course - no comment - the guy/girl was not aware about the use cases of the Sonos Connect (Turntable > Hifi Amp > Connect RCA In or Connect RCA Out > Hifi Amp > Hi-fi Speaker) 
  • I send my logs to the support : no idea - Your Connect is KO

This is the limit of Sonos in 2021. No fixing - No repair : You just have to buy the new model.

Any idea? Thanks a lot.

Just to first cover all bases, did you include a reset of the Sonos App as that was mentioned as part of the ‘answer’ in the thread you linked too? ..I will assume you did include that.

Line-In

So can you detail what your line-in settings are for the Connect, such as Source Name, Source Level, Compression Settings and just include the Group audio delay buffer size and what happens precisely?

Is the issue arising only when using the Line-in source to the Line-out linked to your HiFi/Speakers, or will the problems arise when playing the line-in elsewhere to your Sonos eco-system, or when the playing devices form part of a larger group (If relevant)?

Line-Out

I see you are using the analog audio-out, but is there an option to use either digital audio-out and have you tried that as an option and if so what was the outcome?

Not likely to be too relevant, but is the volume control set to ‘fixed’ or ‘variable’ and can you state which line-in you are using on the HiFi and if you have tried another connection Aux/Tape/CD etc. 

Just need more detail, before making any potential suggestions for you to perhaps consider.

Is this an issue on both Left and Right?

Badge

Just to first cover all bases, did you include a reset of the Sonos App as that was mentioned as part of the ‘answer’ in the thread you linked too? ..I will assume you did include that.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes. I reset the app, without success

I also created a new Sonos System, after a hard reset, just with a Connect and a Play:5 (Gen1) with App S1.

The Line-in doesn’t appear in the Connect.

Notice that if I use the same Source (CD Player+HifiAmp) as a Line-In in the Play:5, it is seen and the sound is OK on the Play:5 - The problem is not the Audio Source

Line-In

So can you detail what your line-in settings are for the Connect, such as Source Name, Source Level, Compression Settings and just include the Group audio delay buffer size and what happens precisely?

Is the issue arising only when using the Line-in source to the Line-out linked to your HiFi/Speakers, or will the problems arise when playing the line-in elsewhere to your Sonos eco-system, or when the playing devices form part of a larger group (If relevant)?

What happen precisely ? The Line-In is now never seen when plugged in the Connect, in the new System.

I let all the settings by default

Line-Out

I see you are using the analog audio-out, but is there an option to use either digital audio-out and have you tried that as an option and if so what was the outcome?

Not likely to be too relevant, but is the volume control set to ‘fixed’ or ‘variable’ and can you state which line-in you are using on the HiFi and if you have tried another connection Aux/Tape/CD etc. 

Just need more detail, before making any potential suggestions for you to perhaps consider.

Analogic Line-Out sucks too. The sound (from Deezer in the Connect) is awfull with distorsion and with a very low level when plug in the HifiAmp, whatever the Line-in I used on the Hifi Amp.

Notice that i tried to link the Connect Line-Out to the Play:5 Line-In : The sound is distored with a very low level

I believe that my Connect seems to be totally out of order.

I’m going to try to disassemble it to see if a welding or a component is out of order.

Badge

Is this an issue on both Left and Right?

Both

I tried to plug the RCA one by one, Red or White : same issue -  The line-in never appear in the Connect.

There is a mechanical switch associated with the CONNECT’s Line-In RCA jack.  Evidently, this switch is not detecting the RCA input plug. Unless the RCA plug is detected, the Line-In device will not appear on any menus. Make sure that the RCA input plug is fully seated in the jack. I’ve also seen some RCA plugs with shorter pins fail to trigger the switch.

Badge

There is a mechanical switch associated with the CONNECT’s Line-In RCA jack. 

I could be a good reason, because at a moment, the Line-In was visible for few seconds and then dissapear. It came and go, as an electrical bad contact.

Do you think I can fix myself this mechanical switch? (I’m not afraid with welding ;))

Success at self repair depends on your skills. Disassembly could be a challenge.

Here’s another approach that is often successful with older equipment where contacts have oxidized. Using a cheap RCA plug with a long pin, fully insert and remove the RCA plug (in both Line-In jacks). Do this 30-40 times each, then check the menu.

Badge

Success at self repair depends on your skills. Disassembly could be a challenge.

Here’s another approach that is often successful with older equipment where contacts have oxidized. Using a cheap RCA plug with a long pin, fully insert and remove the RCA plug (in both Line-In jacks). Do this 30-40 times each, then check the menu.

Mmmhh... Smart - I’ll try.

Badge

Mmmhh... Smart - I’ll try.

Uuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!  You know what? It worked !!!! I heard a little ‘clic’  

You’re my Santa Claus. Chrismas is behind us but my Birthday is (really) in 2 days (January 1st). Great.

Holly Vinyl records, come to me!!

Love you, guy!

You can slip my ‘tip’ under the CONNECT. I’ll fly by around midnight and collect it.