Question

Sonos Connect heavily Distorted

HI,

I have been using a Connect plugged into an existing stereo system for around 3 years with no problems but recently the sound quality has become unlistenably distorted, as if it is outputting too loud for the stereo. This seems to have happened since updating to 6.3 on the Mac.

I have tried varying the volume settings in Sonos and in the stereo, the best result I can get is to have the Sonos set to below 25% volume and the stereo set at maximum, this removes the distortion but is very very quiet.

I have a Play 3 in a different room that is working fine.

Thanks

Can anyone help?

3 replies

I can't conceive of how a system update could account for this. I take it you checked the amp's input using a different source and confirmed the problem was with the CONNECT?

It sounds like the CONNECT might have developed a fault in its analog output stage. You should contact Sonos Support. Have you tried setting the CONNECT to Fixed Volume?

Incidentally, if you have access to a simple DAC (budget ones are cheap), you could try using one of the CONNECT's digital outputs as part of your troubleshooting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
there was indeed a problem acknowledged some months back.
see here https://en.community.sonos.com/troubleshooting-228999/updated-sonos-system-connect-playing-too-loud-and-clipping-6733089
I can't conceive of how a system update could account for this. I take it you checked the amp's input using a different source and confirmed the problem was with the CONNECT?

It sounds like the CONNECT might have developed a fault in its analog output stage. You should contact Sonos Support. Have you tried setting the CONNECT to Fixed Volume?

Incidentally, if you have access to a simple DAC (budget ones are cheap), you could try using one of the CONNECT's digital outputs as part of your troubleshooting.

I have tried a different input to the stereo yes, no problem there. The same problem occurs at fixed volume as well.

Looks like i'll have to contact support.

Thanks for the help.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings