Question

Sonos Connect frequently cutting out

• 25 January 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge +1
Diagnostic code: 7034867

Hey!

I just bought a Sonos Connect to connect my phone and computer to my two Play 1's...
However every now and then (quite often), they stop playing audio coming from the line in and resume a split second later. Any ideas why and is there an issue with my network or is my device faulty?

Thanks. :)

EDIT: I just updated my Sonos speaker's firmware tonight... It may be that? I don't know. 😛

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Well, it could be the network, in terms of having duplicate IP addresses on your system. Or it could be interference with other electronic equipment.

I'm assuming the boost is connected via an ethernet cable to your router, and the speakers are set up in "Boost" mode, not on your wifi?

If it is duplicate IP addresses, it can be fixed by shutting down your router (and everything connected to it, I mean everything. Phone, TV, thermostat, garage door, anything at all). Then bring the router back up and plug back in each device, one at a time, allowing each enough time to grab a new IP address.

It's possible, if you've got them set up on your Wifi that there's also some sort of wireless interference. Check to see what kind of other devices are near the speakers. If they're set up as connected to the Connect device via SonosNet, then try changing the network channel they're on. I think you're limited to 1, 6 and 11, choose one of those that your wifi is not on, so that there's no interference between the two.

I don't think the firmware update would have any effect on that particular issue.
Badge +1
Well, it could be the network, in terms of having duplicate IP addresses on your system. Or it could be interference with other electronic equipment.

I'm assuming the boost is connected via an ethernet cable to your router, and the speakers are set up in "Boost" mode, not on your wifi?

If it is duplicate IP addresses, it can be fixed by shutting down your router (and everything connected to it, I mean everything. Phone, TV, thermostat, garage door, anything at all). Then bring the router back up and plug back in each device, one at a time, allowing each enough time to grab a new IP address.

It's possible, if you've got them set up on your Wifi that there's also some sort of wireless interference. Check to see what kind of other devices are near the speakers. If they're set up as connected to the Connect device via SonosNet, then try changing the network channel they're on. I think you're limited to 1, 6 and 11, choose one of those that your wifi is not on, so that there's no interference between the two.

I don't think the firmware update would have any effect on that particular issue.

Thanks for the response!

I was using a Connect, not a Boost but I see where you're coming from...
The IP addresses are fine, I logged into my router, and all have their own independent local IP addresses. The problem somehow fixed itself after giving it a couple of hours... Goodness knows why ahah

Everything is fine now, I can blame things on my end for the Sonos Connect dropping out. My ISP can be quite unreliable...

Thanks anyway! ^^
Heh. You're welcome. Technically, any Sonos device acts as a boost/bridge, if it's connected to your router via an ethernet cable, these days, which is a change from the early days. And reserving IP addresses for each device out of the way of the normal stuff being handed out is an outstanding way of keeping that kind of thing from reoccurring. Glad it worked for you!

By the way, just looking at the IP addresses on your router isn't a sure way of keeping conflict away. It will show the state at the moment you pull up the data, without actually telling you that there might be an IP conflict. Good times 🙂