Answered

Sonos Connect fails to boot after firmware update

I had a fully functional & stable Sonos Connect. It had successfully updated several times with each forced update. Since the last update, it fails to boot. Flashing white light only. I factory reset, and eventually it returns to flashing white only. Not happy that my Connect is now bricked due to a forced update. Doesn't seem to be any way to recover it.
icon

Best answer by pwt 5 March 2019, 13:45

FWIW, it’s highly unlikely that an update bricked your device. It’s possible that the consequent reboot triggered a latent hardware failure, but I’m not convinced given the LED sequences you’ve described. I’d call Sonos support and see if they can help.

The Chromecast Audio has now been obsoleted by Google, so try to grab one while you can.
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Is it possible it's not picking up an IP address from your router? Might just be worth trying a router restart.
It was always hardwired to my LAN. I've moved it to another hard wired port and its the same result.
Now I'm finding if I factory reset it, the light stays flashing orange until I power it off and on again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The port it’s wired to (or whether it’s wireless or wired) is irrelevant to the router’s IP address allocation. Sometimes the router’s DHCP server just needs a reset, accomplished by restarting the router. Unlikely to be the issue in your case, but worth a try.

Flashing orange means you’ve successfully performed a factory reset: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/226?language=en_US&utm_medium=led&utm_source=doc-care&utm_content=english-doc-care-led
Thanks PWT. Appreciate the advice. I work in IT support and I can confirm my router is handing out IP's. The Sonos Bridge is online and the Sonos app can see the Bridge and identify its IP. I've just discovered the new Google Chromecast Audio while researching alternatives. At $55 AUD, its a pretty attractive alternative and makes the Sonos Connect look totally redundant. I won't be replacing it with a new Sonos unit. I bought the Connect so I could enjoy my music in proper quality stereo or 5.1 though great speakers, so a Play 1/3/5/Beam are out of the question. So unless I can apply a fix or Sonos are going to support their premium device and offer me a replacement after bricking it on me, I'll be saying bye bye to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
FWIW, it’s highly unlikely that an update bricked your device. It’s possible that the consequent reboot triggered a latent hardware failure, but I’m not convinced given the LED sequences you’ve described. I’d call Sonos support and see if they can help.

The Chromecast Audio has now been obsoleted by Google, so try to grab one while you can.

Thanks for the heads up about the discontinuation of Chromecast Audio. I'll grab one while they're still on shelves (and dirt cheap).

I'll disagree with your statement that my Connect was unlikely to be bricked by an update though. Its the obvious cause. Whats more likely to brick a device? Rebooting it, or re-flashing the firmware then rebooting it? Its been rebooted many times over, but only flashed probably 8 times in its life.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'll disagree with your statement that my Connect was unlikely to be bricked by an update though. Its the obvious cause. Whats more likely to brick a device? Rebooting it, or re-flashing the firmware then rebooting it? Its been rebooted many times over, but only flashed probably 8 times in its life.
My argument is just that the firmware update process has to be very well tested, and well protected from error conditions, since Sonos updates roll out over tens of millions of devices each time. It's also well known that the process of restarting electronic components can provoke failures if there are latent or emerging faults. So, I'm just balancing the probabilities; either of us could be right, of course:) It'll be interesting to see what Sonos support says: do circle back and let us know.

In the meantime, does the Connect make any progress at all through its boot process? Can you verify if it's picking up an IP address? Now that it's been factory reset, how far does it get in the 'Add New Speaker' process?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If not call try the 24x7 twitter support option.
Have logged a request with Sonos support and have now replied with my serial number, so we'll see what comes of it.
Factory reset then reboot does the same thing. The white light will flash indefinately.
Adding a speaker fails automatically. Manually trying to add a Connect finds no device.
Only other thing I can do when I'm home later is check my router and see if its been allocated an IP. The network interface on the Sonos has the usual Green/Amber lights indicating a LAN connection is detected, but not necessarily an IP of course.
This has also happend to my Connect:Amp... Firmware update from Sonos, after that - it dissapears. Same as original poster, but i'm able to connect it again after multiple factory-reset, but only to have it dissapear from the controller again after an hour or so.
Now Sonos is making me pay for a new unit since mine is out of warranty.... Normally that would be ok, but NOT now when a Sonos update bricked my box!!!
I have the same problem with my Connect. Following upgrade to version 10.1 the LED flashes white continuously. Very disappointed that the solution offered by Sonos is an expensive replacement device.
Agreed - same here. Thanks Sonos
The exact has happened to me 4 months ago on my connect amp ! Sent the details to Sonos and the have offered me a refurbished one for 30% discount at £349 , richer sounds are offering them new at £399!
sonos surely have to take some responsibility, I too believe it was as a result of a firmware update.
Has anyone tried the online repair services I have seen on a google search?
Hi,
unfortunately my ZP90 has the white flashing light, reboot, factory reset, all with no joy. Sonos offer refurbished for £249.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
A firmware upgrade on any device always has some (low) risk of catastrophic failure, it is the nature of the beast. For example, back in the day the Xbox HD DVD drive needed a firmware update to play a certain disk ("Children of Men" as I recall): Toshiba gave us the firmware, but the bricking-risk (I forget the percentage) multiplied by the user base size was deemed too risky for one disk, so it was never released.

Sonos devices take a lot more firmware updates than most, and in all the years and devices I have, this has never been a problem for me. However the law of averages means that some users are not so lucky. The older a device is, the most upgrades it has, of course.
Cheers for the reply, to be honest I'm certainly not blaming any updates, we also had some power outages with the weather last week, so hand on heart not sure, I didn't notice the flashing light till I went to use it yesterday as the ZP90 is not in eye line it could have been flashing for days unoticed.