Sonos Connect cuts out when grouped

Badge
  • Contributor I
  • 9 replies
I’ve just set up a new Sonos system for my mother in law. With a Beam in the living room, One in the kitchen and a Connect in the dining room.

It’s all on one floor, all very close to the Virgin router. But when trying to add the Connect into a group it drops out while the other two contine to play. Not sure if this is just due to the age of the connect vs the other two or how to fix it.

I can hard wire the Connect to the router, as it is the furthest from the signal. But I’m short an Ethernet cable at the moment, and want to be sure this is the solution beforehand so I can plan alternatives. I may be able to rustle up a bridge, but would rather not if a cheap Ethernet would resolve the problem.

The Connect is furthest from the router (but not that far), so hoping it’s just the fact it likely runs on old wireless standards that the rest of the system is kicking it off for stability.

If any one has any tips i’d really appreciate a hand.

David

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18
If the Connect is disconnecting right when you group it with another player, that would point to a problem regarding wireless interference. Would you mind reproducing the problem and submit a diagnostic report? Be sure to reply with the confirmation number it gives at the end. Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've found a meter or more of distance between WiFi devices makes a difference in how happy they are. Maybe move the router or a Sonos away a bit if they are closer than that?

Boost mode, with any Sonos component wired (you don't need to buy a Boost) is my suggestion to everyone for a Sonos setup as it takes the home WiFi out of the picture and gives the Sonos gear an independent WiFi link. Take a look at the FAQ stuff once you work through your issue with Keith and see what looks good to you. Since the system isn't at your home avoiding issues when someone fiddles the WiFi is a good thing.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US
Badge
Diagnostic report attached. Any help would be grand: 140001670
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Thanks for the diagnostic report, d.mo. Based on the findings, it seems that both the Living Room and the Kitchen are both having a hard time maintaining a connection to the network. More specifically, it seems that both of these players have to re-send the audio data anywhere from 15-60% of the time and this report was run without the players grouped. Grouping players and playing synced audio to a group will take a little more "oomph" or bandwidth to sync the players together. If you are starting off with interference, grouping will likely exacerbate the problem and lead to the problems you are describing.

That being said, would you mind telling us a little more about your wireless network? Is it a mesh type network? Just as Stanley_4 was alluding to, do the issues persist if you try plugging in one of the Sonos devices into the network with an Ethernet cable?
Badge
Thanks for getting back to me Keith.

It’s just set up with the providers router at the moment. Interesting they’re struggling, luckily I can hard wire the living room, but definitely can’t do the kitchen. I’ll have a go hardwiring and see if it resolves it.

Didn’t realised the signposting was a that moment reading, apologies, will do a bit of investigation then create a new diagnostic if it doesn’t get resolved.

Thank you!
Userlevel 2
Badge +9
If you have a Virgin Media SuperHub 3, don't wire more than one device. Wiring one device will almost certainly help your situation, wiring two will almost certainly make it worse.
Badge
Oh dear, is there an issue with the Super hub 3? had been planning on wiring most of the house to the back of it. Would it work if I used an ethernet splitter and just used one socket?

All the best
Userlevel 2
Badge +9
The splitter and one socket can work.

If you connect one bit of Sonos with an ethernet cable to the router, all your Sonos kit would normally default to "boost mode". This means Sonos creates its own mesh network (often referred to as SonosNet) which gives much better stability within your Sonos setup. With nothing wired, all your Sonos devices are connected on your routers wifi. As with most tech - a wired connection is usually far more stable than a wireless connection and so ethernet cables to more Sonos helps SonosNet become even stronger. Unfortunately the SuperHub 3 doesn't seem to cope with more than one point of connection to the mesh network and myself and others have found that your network slows to a crawl, internet access is terribly slow and Sonos devices stall and drop out of the app.

For me, my microwave was messing up the wifi signal for that end of the house. I ran a couple of ethernet cables to solve the issue but discovered the SuperHub 3 issues. (Others have also found it, there are threads around on here and on the Virgin Media forums.) Fortunately if I only wire my Connect Amp that is near the microwave, I get good stability, so the second connection problem is not currently an issue for me.

I hope that made sense!
Legnum Nick wrote:

The splitter and one socket can work.

Careful with the terminology. So-called 'splitters' don't allow you to connect two devices to one port. They exploit the fact that only half the eight ethernet cable cores are required to make a connection, so they put a second connection down the other four cores in a non-standard fashion. You need matched splitters at either end of a cable run, and TWO switch/router ports to connect to.

If on the other hand what's meant is a 'switch' then, under most circumstances, all should be well.
Badge
Thanks ratty, Yes, apologies I meant a switch, (Blue steel box with a load of ethernet ports in the front).

Not 100% certain what you meant Nick, But I'll wire in the Connect only and go from there.
Badge
So hardwired still didn’t do the trick. Diagnostic code 293914905. Any one have any bright plans what to try out next. Would much appreciate any help!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge +9
Only connecting only one item of Sonos via ethernet didn't work? Just trying to clarify what you meant by hardwired didn't do the trick.
Badge
Yes apologies, Just hard wired the Connect via ethernet and the problem persists, when ever it is grouped with the Beam and One it cuts out. Putting my head right up against the speaker the signal does seem to be getting through, but don't know if that's just wishful hearing, as it may just be the speakers reverberating to the music from the One at the other end of the room.

All the best,

David
Userlevel 2
Badge +9
Sounds like you need a member of Sonos Staff to give your diagnostics the once over. Hope you get it resolved.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I'd say contact Sonos support too, they are open 24x7 on twitter or facebook or the phones (long hold times) will open in the (weekdays) morning.
Userlevel 6
Badge +18
d.mo: Just as the folks above said, I'd recommend getting in contact with our support team. They will be able to take a closer look in real time and get this sorted.

Thanks for your patience so far!

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings